FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 ES
1,604 Posts
Had Pirelli Angel GT, very grippy but wore out far too early, only lasted for 5 months before change out. I usually put 9 to 10k miles on yearly, those Angels though, did step out on me in rain on a curve, a pucker moment in TN. I'm in NJ and that daily ride of yours, before 4:30 am, to NYC is brutal! You're THE man!
I'm presently have and liking Michelin Road 5. Have gotten about 10k out of them and I do twisties all the time. I am also thinking about Dunlop"s Roadsmart IV. Saw good reviews for longevity.
The LIE is not twisty, you know you need grip and longevity, any tire you choose will handle the weekend outings. More power to you, balls of steel you have! LOL

Reactions: BigOgre

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
Angel GT's aren't as hard to mount as practically any Dunlop or Bridgestone... try T31/32 sometime.... RS3 is a bit stiff too. Michelins go on like buttah.
Leave your tires out in the hot sun, mucho betterer. or have tire warmers, more mucho betterest..

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
I lived on LI for almost 40 years. I can only think of 25A and River Road on the north shore as being the only fun roads there. Even then they are too crowded.

That's why most LI guys go upstate, north Jersey or Conneneticut for riding fun.

Reactions: BigOgre

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have tried most tyres and for me the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 is the best tyre for the FJR. The bike goes along as if it is on rails and I get about 14000 miles from them. The tyres to avoid are Bridgestone. Mine came on Bridgestone and they were worn out at 6000 miles.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the Conti road attack 3GT that came on my 2016ES. To me they seem very predictable with good grip. I grew up in Wantaugh but now reside in Ct. I ride mostly in northwest Ct. sometimes winding up in NY or Mass. Nice riding up Rt 67,& 7. Not much traffic and popular with motorcycles. T , I'm waiting for a non sportbike Tony's track day school day at Thompson CT that fits my schedule. Always wanted to go to one.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,576 Posts
moderator note: Now that this has become yet another tire thread, I've moved and pinned it. All future threads regarding tires will be merged here just as we did with the oil and filter threads.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Shinkos were ok on my busas, but I can't wait for them to melt off my fjr. They're noisy. They track horrible on steel grate bridges and tar snakes. Cornering grip has been fine, but I'd be too puckered to track it.
I'm going back to the OEM stones next.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
Shinko Verge's?? weren't the greatest. Shinko Raven 009 was good for me. OEM Stones, not for me, most were happiest when they were worn out so we could get something else.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Shinkos were ok on my busas, but I can't wait for them to melt off my fjr. They're noisy. They track horrible on steel grate bridges and tar snakes. Cornering grip has been fine, but I'd be too puckered to track it.
I'm going back to the OEM stones next.
I was thinking of trying the 190 T32GT Battlax as my next set of tires depending on availability and pricing

·
Registered
304 Posts
Shinko Verge's?? weren't the greatest. Shinko Raven 009 was good for me. OEM Stones, not for me, most were happiest when they were worn out so we could get something else.
Yes...009's. I've never tried any other Shinko.
I might just lose them, way before they get a chance to wear out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have narrowed it down to the following 3 tires based on the reviews here.

1) Dunlop Mutant
2) Continental Road Attack GT 3 or 4
3) Perilli Angel GT or GT 2

I am 6ft 230 lb

- Safety and performance in Cold, Hot, and Wet conditions are my main priority! IF I get good milage that is a bonus

- I commute year round (no snow, Ice) it's 60 miles from Long Island to NYC one way. Roads can get a little choppy, rough and on rare occasion sand/ small light gravel

- Spirited rides on weekends

- 1 long trip a year and occasionally 2 up on long weekends

Thank you in advance

P.s reposted here because everyone here seems to have legit experience with the Mutant.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Everyone here? I'd say it's more like a very few.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
I'm not trying to be a wise ass but if I counted right there are 12 contributors to this thread and only 1 has actual experience.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'm not trying to be a wise ass but if I counted right there are 12 contributors to this thread and only 1 has actual experience.
Actual experience with what? The tires that the OP asked about, or experience with the tires they talked about? Or maybe they have never even ridden a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
EDIT: This thread was about the Dunlop Mutant where only 1 guy has actually used them. I was replying to FJR2007 who had his same exact post in another thread. Maybe it was on a different board.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
Actual experience with what? The tires that the OP asked about, or experience with the tires they talked about? Or maybe they have never even ridden a motorcycle.
This thread was victim to a merge that made no sense.

Reactions: Whooshka
41 - 60 of 98 Posts