FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting for these to make it to the US. Anyone seen an actual set?
Dunlop made a claim 2 years ago. Covid screwed up last year. I just want to know if anyone has used these or seen these. I think they would be awesome for Colorado!

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Those look like a dual sport tire, but if they work what the heck ! It’ll be interesting to hear any actual user comments. For me with the exception of their Spitfire bias ply’s, Dunlop makes my very least favorite tires ! My .02

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
They do look interesting. Not a lot of reviews out there, but the ones that I found seem good so far.

Thing that is odd is that if you go to Dunlops page and enter in an FJR it says they don't make them to fit?
Mutant | Dunlop Motorcycle (dunlopmotorcycletires.com)

Even though they show a 120/70-ZR17 and a 180/55-ZR17 available

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Chuck, could it maybe be short on the speed rating?

nope, looking at the specs it ain’t the speed rating but I believe the rim on the fjr is to wide and the tires load rating to lite.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
Response from Dunlop - apparently an issue with the website

Thank you for contacting Dunlop Motorcycle Tires. We do offer the Mutant tire for the 2007 FJR 1300A. Unfortunately, the Dunlop Website is limited to the number of options we can list. I am under the assumption the website designers have been attempting to correct this issue. Feel free to contact me with any additional questions you may have.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
If they sent me a set for free, I'd be more than willing to torture, er test them. :D

When their website says, "Brave the elements," I'm wondering if they are claiming a little ADV capability. Because my experience with today's wonderful selection of sport touring tires (reasonably good treadlife and really good sport potential) is when I go down a gravel road, I have to ride very gently or I rip them. The ADV version of the Michelin PR4 felt heavy to me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If they sent me a set for free, I'd be more than willing to torture, er test them. :D

When their website says, "Brave the elements," I'm wondering if they are claiming a little ADV capability. Because my experience with today's wonderful selection of sport touring tires (reasonably good treadlife and really good sport potential) is when I go down a gravel road, I have to ride very gently or I rip them. The ADV version of the Michelin PR4 felt heavy to me.
I haven't been on the PR4s. Everyone has a different feel when it comes to tires and performance on wet and dirt surfaces on touring tires. I know that I can't think strait when I need to pull onto a dirt surface. There are lots of great dinners and pubs in the mountains and side streets or overlooks with sanded hard pack. I stopped stopping and looking around so I don't worry about consequences. I miss looking at my state!

If the miles per carcass go down but the confidence and actual performance of the tires goes up! Sign me up!
I have gone so far as put Knobbies on my triumph Daytona 955i for 2 weeks to see if it was worth it. Didn't handle for nothing. I didn't want to go fast. ((AT ALL))!

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
The part that interests me is the harder tread in the middle and the softer on the sides. In terms of "off road" they seem to be showing it as a heavy wet tire rather than something for dirt, but it looks like it would work in the dirt better than the Road Attacks that I run on my FZ1

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Tire manufactures are always in a fight between two lines of thought.
More grooves provide better traction with debris on the surface.
Less grooves provide better traction on clean pavement.
My FJR will spend 90% of its time on clean pavement so I want a 90% clean pavement tire.
The FJR is a very large heavy bike with pretty good power. That causes tread block squirm and excessive feathering. Excessive feathering (some commonly call it cupping) is a massive problem on the FJR. Fitting a tire with aggressive tread blocks will make that problem much worse.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why does everyone say its heavy! Its only 200 lbs heavier than a R1. :(
Fjr wet weighs 650lbs (before the wife wants to go)
Dunlop website shows for 180/55zr-17 = 805 lbs at 42psi / 120/70zr-17 = 520 lbs at 42psi
Add rider (+200 for Americans) then the tools and patch kit (+10lbs)
Should be good!!!

Would the pocket protectors of Dunlop believe that someone is going to put the tire on something heavier than a Honda 750 adventure to "brave the elements" for even the most "daily commuter".

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tire manufactures are always in a fight between two lines of thought.
More grooves provide better traction with debris on the surface.
Less grooves provide better traction on clean pavement.
My FJR will spend 90% of its time on clean pavement so I want a 90% clean pavement tire.
The FJR is a very large heavy bike with pretty good power. That causes tread block squirm and excessive feathering. Excessive feathering (some commonly call it cupping) is a massive problem on the FJR. Fitting a tire with aggressive tread blocks will make that problem much worse.

Feathering and Cupping are not the same thing. Both can show issues of suspension wear or not properly set up. You could even say that feathering is close to ramping. But your looking at Weight, compounds, Air, surfaces, age and abuse. You could be even thinking about the difference of front to rear tire. Not saying the characteristics of a light weight tire on a not light weight vehicle will cause tread breakdown prematurely. Why do some like to go DARK? Yes the tire is more designed for wetter seasons. Have you ever put snow tires on your car for slalom? Mud tires for Winter?

I plan on taking my bike out more than a sunny 70 degree day once a month when the woman starts menstruating. Its not a HD! I also like to go around corners the way you are supposed to. Yes Colorado is considered TAME compared to parts of Canada, Europe and Russia. But we also still get snow in the high country year round. Not all the time but we do. 2 years ago guys from the construction site went skiing for 4th of July!

Have you ever tried changing directions in on hard pack parking lot with Cowboy boots on or a pair of basketball shoes? you want something that mimics the front side of a short fat kid performing a crunch test. I want the sand, dirt, mud, water and if the good lord wants to test my abilities snow slush to have a cleaning grove.

If you find the option of this tire not in alignment suggest something different!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You are giving a false alternative. There are plenty of alternatives to the ends of the spectrum.
On one side we have race slicks. On the other we have dirt duel sport tires. In the middle are reasonable variations that perform very well in 80% of the situations we encounter every day, week, and season.
The FJR is not a race bike so we do not put race slicks on it. If by chance some one wanted to take the FJR to the track a quality street tire will perform to the bikes capabilities. Race slicks are horrible tires for every day street conditions.
The FJR is not a dirt bike so we do not put knobbies on it. If by chance some one wanted to take the FJR into the dirt a quality street tire will perform to the bikes abilities. Knobbies are horrible tires for every day street conditions.
If you choose to move to either end of the spectrum that is your prerogative.
Just be aware, as you do you lose the positive attributes and capabilities that end provides.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If anyone is interested, I put these on my FJR today. 75 mile ride home and it was good. New rubbers really wanted to lean. I'll give updates as I'm going. The tread pattern is going to take some getting used to in the aesthetics department.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I found the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 to be as good or better road tire than the Michelin Road 5. Sounds counterintuitive but I felt I had better front grip with the Pirelli.
I’m interested to see what these Mutants are

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm a week in with mostly daily commuting. I've got about 300 miles since the install so far. They felt solid for me after the first 65 miles. By 75 miles, I felt comfortable enough to start really leaning into them. So far, they've been holding lines well. The traction is fantastic. Admittedly, this is all expected for a tire this new. More coming soon....

1 - 20 of 98 Posts