FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else find the ugly (IMHO) white sticker on the gas tank (right about the fuel cap) saying something like “…read the manual before operating this vehicle…” label a total nuisance? Well, at least I do, and want to remove it. Can anyone please suggest a good way to go about removing it with minimal risk to damaging the pain on the tank?
I considered using some kind of label remover liquid but an concerned about damaging the paint, ditto for using any kind of scraper, etc.

·
Registered
721 Posts
yup warm it up gently and it should peel off easily, failing that an angle grinder will have it off sharpish :crylarf:

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Ian said:
an angle grinder will have it off sharpish :crylarf:
friggin' smart ass. :lol:

I didn't even heat mine up. Just get a corner up and pull slowly. What little residue is left can be taken off with the popular polishing sparays, WD-40 or the "goo gone" type products. I can't even tell where mine used to be, zero effect on the paint.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Was wondering how you guys did it.

I've always used a fingernail and plenty of WD40... and then WD40 soaked in a soft cloth for the residue. I've never had a problem with scratching, thankfully... but I never thought of heating it up.

:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rabbit1300 said:
Warm it up first with a hair dryer - be careful not to get the paint too hot - see if that helps to soften the glue.
Thx Rabbit1300 the hair dryer got a nice work out, made sure not to burn the paint too. I have to say though the angle grinder idea did creep up a few times when the dryer was burning my fingers ;)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
but I never thought of heating it up.:)
I've heated stickers in other locations but didn't want to risk earning a "Darwin Award" using a red hot coil device near the gas cap. 8)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've heated stickers in other locations but didn't want to risk earning a "Darwin Award" using a red hot coil device near the gas cap.
As long as someone is merely using a hair dryer and not a heat gun, the max heat from a hair dryer should have no affect on the paint or the gas tank.

Consider an FJR parked in the Phoenix sun in August. Surface temps should be way hotter than a hair dryer.

And, as you all know, FJR gas tanks are no strangers to heat!

If hair dryers did get that hot, then my wifey must roast the hell out of her brain every morning....that explains a lot! :crylarf:
Don't tell her I said that.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I just used lighter fluid and a match. Remove the sticker from the gas tank, the gas tank from the bike and most of the garage from the house. :ale:

Really, just the lighter fluid takes all sticky stuff off clean.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Lets all go to Phoenix in August and get 1FJR to show us how...sounds brill.

Shit, I forgot I'm in Italy that month, might not be quite as hot, but the last thing I'll be thinking about is the sticker on my tank.

I'm just teasing....made me think of a comment my wife made...I said no hair dryer...she said OK, 3 star hotel minimum then. That cost me!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I peel the top off of it, then soak a rag or paper towel with 3m adhiesive remover and let it soak for a while and you can usually peel it off with your finger nail. Wait for the stuff to work. It won't hurt the paint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts