FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got about 300 miles on the new-to-me 2015 this morning. So glad I opted for the newer bike than putting the money into the old one. The cruise control and electronics package make the miles more enjoyable. And the FJR is certainly more comfortable than the VFR for this distance. Might need to start thinking about the seat upgrade. With the seat in the high position it felt like
I was sliding downhill for the entire ride. And I believe the first darkly must be a GPS. Several stops along the way to check the map on my phone. Are you guys using Garmin GPS. My Garmin on my bicycles
Just seems so glitchy. I've had three different Garmin's and ultimate they are all glitchy.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Nice pic Eric and glad you are enjoying the new bike. I used to live in Ft Pierce. Miss Florida...sometimes lol.

I have mine set up for a Garmin GPS but honestly I do paper maps nearly 100% of the time. I find GPS's handy for local stuff like finding a particular building in a city, but not for traveling for the most part.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,508 Posts
Nice pic Eric and glad you are enjoying the new bike. I used to live in Ft Pierce. Miss Florida...sometimes lol.

I have mine set up for a Garmin GPS but honestly I do paper maps nearly 100% of the time. I find GPS's handy for local stuff like finding a particular building in a city, but not for traveling for the most part.
I do the opposite but the same- gps for traveling and routing, phone and Google for local eateries, etc.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use an old Android phone with MapFactor Navigator (free) installed. Maps are free and downloaded on phone. Phone doesn't have a SIM card, so the app doesn't use any data. Turn by turn instructions, recalculates automatically, easy to set waypoints for planned trips, and if the phones falls out of the holder and gets destroyed or gets stolen, meh - it doesn't cost me anything.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
I use a garmin 'cause many times I'm out of cell range. Garmin gives me a heads up of the next turn ahead behind the trees. YES, I know most iphone map apps use the phone's internal gps instead of cell signal, but my garmin always has signal. Unless you in downtown Pittsburgh, darn thing goes haywire there!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I use an iPhone 11 mounted in a SlipGrip holder. It has never budged in any riding condition. The newer iPhones (and Galaxy phones) are waterproof.

I used to use Navigon app which was very good, but recently went out of business.

Scenic app is what I use now. It is made specifically for motorcycles. The maps are downloaded directly to the phone so cell reception is of no issue.

It can generate “extra curvy” routes from point A to B or start and end in the same place. You can create any route you want and share them with anyone. There are thousands of available routes that people have saved and rated based on various criteria. Its a very powerful and useful tool. The maps are always up to date and high resolution.

If you have a smartphone, there is simply no need for an “old school” Garmin. The hardest part is finding gloves that work on the touchscreen.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,702 Posts
If you don't want to be driven crazy, turn auto recalculate off.... my ride trips are such that I haven't found anything better for planning my routes and loading them into my Garmin. I've tried various phone apps, the only ones that can work for me would be ones not needing cell data... I can't afford that when outside of my own border.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Looks like you’re headed to Okeechobee. I went through there last Tuesday when bringing the 1290 Super Adventure north from Wellington to Wisconsin. It’s a much better ride up 98 and 441 to Yehaw Junction than taking the Turnpike up. Enjoy the new FJR, it’s a perfect bike for FL riding.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have ridden from seattle to Orlando 3 times ..I use a Tom Tom that cost 100$$ .There are many places where my Tmoble connection are zero ( Bi think Verizon would be different ) .
My GPS has on screwed up royal 3 times ..once in ST Louise ..It figured it out the moment I took the exit it told me to :)
And once going from Winna Macca to Grants Pass it didnt want me to take a turn off , and would have cost me 600 miles as it sent me into Idaho :)But other than that I still like it better then the phone

·
Registered
173 Posts
I believe I have a Garmin Zumo 390. Basecamp takes a minute to figure out but I like being able to plan trips and plot precise roads that I want to take.

I'll use Google maps to find fun or interesting roads and incorporate them into my trips. They're usually a longer route that takes more time and miles but keeps me off the highway, without the dreaded recalculating.

Paired to a Cardo headset, and music on my phone I'm in my happy place.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
My GPS has on screwed up royal 3 times ..once in ST Louise ..It figured it out the moment I took the exit it told me to :)
And once going from Winna Macca to Grants Pass it didnt want me to take a turn off , and would have cost me 600 miles as it sent me into Idaho :)But other than that I still like it better then the phone
:surprise: Wow..I've gotten turned around before, but my paper maps have never taken me 600 miles off course

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I use a garmin 'cause many times I'm out of cell range. Garmin gives me a heads up of the next turn ahead behind the trees. YES, I know most iphone map apps use the phone's internal gps instead of cell signal, but my garmin always has signal. Unless you in downtown Pittsburgh, darn thing goes haywire there!
As bad as Garmin is, every phone app I have tried over the years was worse.

Any reasonable phone navigation app can preload maps and not need cellular service. Apple Maps on iPhone is limited in this respect. It only caches when a route is selected and the data is deleted when the route ends or is changed. Once a route and destination is selected one can enable airplane mode and still route.

Google Maps allows one to download multiple arbitrary regions of your choice. Its just that few know of this feature.

Reactions: Versatek6

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Garmin once tried to get me to take an exit off I-35 ... and get right back on.

Currently have a 7" Garmin which crashes at about mile 280 going north on I-65 in Alabama. Its like clockwork, every time. Have 2 of exact same model but haven't remembered to bring both to see if both are doing it. Doesn't crash going south.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Nice pic. My wife and I both love our Seth Laam seat. I would strongmen recommend it. However do not try to get one done this time of year. From anyone!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've used sygic app on my phone as a backup to my old garmin. It's got me out of trouble a couple of times.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have been riding my 2013 FJR1300 since assembled from crate. As the commercial says you gonna like it here. Typical ride 200 miles regionally

·
Registered
125 Posts
:surprise: Wow..I've gotten turned around before, but my paper maps have never taken me 600 miles off course
Still only use paper maps for route planning myself.

Reactions: the Ferret

·
Registered
2008 FJR
82 Posts
I just upgraded my Garmin to the new Zumo XT. It's got one **** of a sharp bright screen - it'll be what I use in the car for trips now as well. It's had a few glitches, as it's a pretty new device, but I believe that will settle down over time and with firmware updates (fingers crossed). Many times when I'm running the GPS, it's more for orientation (where am ?) than guidance (where should I go?). It's spendy, but looks very very good, has a quick processor/screen, and, unlike a cellphone, you can use it with gloves on.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts