FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice bike. I did the whole adventure bike thing a few years back. Found I was never going off road to use that bigger front wheel and larger suspension travel so went back to sport touring again. They are comfortable though. Adventure bikes have that whole "jack of all trades master of none" functionality.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,203 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Fancy way of saying "automatic transmission".
Yes and NO:

a DCT can be looked upon as being similar to an automatic transmission. The main difference is that the DCT operates the odd and even gear numbers separately, which prevents the engine from being disengaged from interrupted power flow when the gears are changed.

A smooth and light input will result in good efficiency and in most cases comes very close to the efficiency numbers you can achieve from a manual gearbox equipped car. Thus a DCT is the best all around package, especially if your driving scenario isn't limited to just city or highway driving.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Well, that's different. I imagine that's what you were after. I need something different every decade of so, myself.
Curious; did you consider the Super Tenere?
An acquaintance of mine has one. He regularly does 1000 mile days on his.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Damir, sweet new ride! Hope you really enjoy it. AT was on the list before I went with the 890 Adventure. I still like the AT just like the 890 better. AT is a great looking bike for sure. Does your's have the bigger fuel tank?

Reviews you read of Super Tenere were spot on. Good steady Eddie bike that's a bit of a dullard.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Damir, sweet new ride! Hope you really enjoy it. AT was on the list before I went with the 890 Adventure. I still like the AT just like the 890 better. AT is a great looking bike for sure. Does your's have the bigger fuel tank?

Reviews you read of Super Tenere were spot on. Good steady Eddie bike that's a bit of a dullard.
Thank you Donk, yes Honda knows how to make great machines, if they would only be "more in tune" with what people want it would be even better.
Yes I got the "full Monty" Adventure Sports and Electronic suspension, spoked wheels, heated grips, 580+ km fuel range with bigger 25Litre tank.
I had some excellent bikes, and this one is no exception, and exactly what I want, especially the DCT is fabulous, my message to ALL "old school" riders still clutching with their arthritis hands; "Go and try it" it's a godsent for old and weary hands, and if you still want to shift with your foot, Honda has it covered, there is a foot shifter available for you.
Did I mentioned how I L-O-V-E the DCT :LOL:

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
500 Posts
I believe that's the same fuel capacity as an FJR. Curious to see what real-world fuel economy you get.

I'm sitting at right about 41 mpg on my 2015 FJR-1300ES, which is almost 1 mpg better than before I turned off the Power Commander V.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
I believe that's the same fuel capacity as an FJR. Curious to see what real-world fuel economy you get.

I'm sitting at right about 41 mpg on my 2015 FJR-1300ES, which is almost 1 mpg better than before I turned off the Power Commander V.
I am still on my first dealer full tank, but here's what Africa Twin owners are reporting:
My 21 ATAS returned some seriously good fuel economy wandering around backroads at a very mellow pace. 58.3 (US), 4.03 l/100km, 70.01 MPG (UK) 309 miles or 497km. 5.33 US gas/20.2L used.

so based on this report, full tank which is 24.8Litres or 6.55 US Gal should yield cca 600km or 373 miles, which is "outstanding" for a motorcycle.

and I thought my Vstrom 650xa is great with about 460+km or 285+ miles range.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I average 51 mpg US on my 890 Adventure. That's mixed riding some highway some backroads seldom at "a mellow pace." I can get it down to 45 if I hammer down the interstate and up to 55 staying on secondary roads. 220-240 miles is what I figured between fuel stops.

The DCT is a nice way to go and Honda has it nailed. I have an up/down quick shifter on the 890 which eliminates the need to use the clutch after first gear. It's sweet although not the same.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
For those of you who are considering Honda Africa Twin in the future, here's some of my honest observations and comparisons, after selling my '17 FJR ES and after a week and 980km with the new ATAS ES DCT (Africa Twin Adventure Sports, electronic suspension, Dual Clutch Transmission)
  • Am I satisfied with my AT replacing my FJR? absolutely, the bike is excellent in almost every department, and better then FJR in some.
  • Do I miss my FJR? I remember kicking myself when I sold my '05 FJR, so I couldn't wait to get another FJR... this time around and because the AT is so great, I can't say I miss the FJR. It was the best ST bike i owned, but the so called ADV bikes have come a long way in comfort for long Sport Touring and they can also handle some gravel as well. So here are some differences FJR-ES vs ATAS-ES;
  • ES on FJR, any changes in settings were not as noticeable as they are on AT. Yes you could feel the difference between ""hard and soft" for example, but even on my softest setting the FJR would still " feel" the road imperfections more then my AT. For instance those man-made "rumble strips on the side of the highway or when approaching rural (Stop) intersections are almost not felt on AT at "soft" setting, FJR would still vibrate when crossing those, even at the softest setting.
  • AT has self canceling signals, FJR didn't have it (no biggie but nice to have)
  • ATAS ES 25litre (6.6Gal) gas tank with a range of 580km (360mi) is also better then the FJR
  • AT LED lights are as good as the FJR lights
  • AT 3 stage cornering lights are actually usable and do a much better job then FJR's 3 stage cornering lights, that I found almost useless
  • Miss the electric screen, but the manually adjustable AT screen does a good job, since you are sitting "IN THE BIKE" rather then the FJR where you are more sitting "ON THE BIKE"
  • AT heat from the engine is more noticable, but as long as you are moving, like yesterday 33deg C it was OK
  • Compared to AT, FJR felt twice as heavy, walking AT out of the garage, and turning her around is way less intimidating, feels just like Vstrom 650. Also lifting AT on centerstand is a LOT easier then the FJR
  • still doing the engine break in, so didn't push my AT engine just yet, however doing the pre-purchase demo ride, I opened up the demo AT and it had plenty of pull...nothing like FJR turbine-like pull, but good enough to make you smile.
  • FJR shifting was sometimes notchy with occasional 1st gear clunk, AT you feel and hear a little clunk when selecting "D" or 1st gear, anything after that is flawless... no more helmet bumping with DCT... EVER
  • Would I buy another FJR?... yes in a heart beat, great bike that I enjoyed very much (twice)
  • So why AT then? In my case, not doing any long Multi day highway trips, always wanted the DCT transmission, the ADV versatility to do both the "pavement and dirt" equally good is what tipped the scale, and it's my 4th Honda and hope it will be as reliable as Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki and Suzuki always are.
  • In 7 days of ownership i didn't have the time to explore the "endless" settings on AT like Engine breaking and other exotic settings, not sure if I'll ever change any of these settings...AT is "more bike then I'll ever need"
And it's a beautiful bike:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Cloud Tire Sky Wheel Water

Cloud Sky Plant Tire Wheel

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle

Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Tree Tire

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Font

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,203 Posts
Great writeup, Damir!

I am glad you are happy with your choice! As per usual, your pics are stunning!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Great writeup, Damir!

I am glad you are happy with your choice! As per usual, your pics are stunning!
Thank you Skippy, it truly is a great bike...I wish for all of the (stuborn 🤪) "diehard manual bikers" to at least try the dct, especially if they are thinking of giving up riding, due to weakness in their clutch hand, or arthritis, carpal tunnel or any other issue.

When in Manual paddle shifting mode, it really doesn't take anything away from the "motorcycle experience"

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
She’s a knockout!
Thanks for the incredible pics.
Are engine guards and aux road lamps coming to an AT near you?
Thank you Rick :) in deed a great looking ADV bike.
Still undecided on which engine guards should I get but working on it. I wish Honda included some protection like others do. Aux lights are a "must" ;)
AS far as panniers I'm not a big fan of typical "scaffolding and boxes", it's a bit "too much" imho (and I'm not planning to go around the world either)
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Product

I would much prefer more minimalistic solution, like this for example:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
for those of you interested to know, here are some cool features on my Africa Twin Adv Sports ES DCT;
  • Africa Twin has "self canceling turn signals" that can be enabled or disabled in the Menu
Font Rectangle Parallel Circle Paper

• Africa Twin's "cornering lights" can be turned ON from the Menu, and their Aim can also be adjusted by turning a screw. I have to say that Africa Twin's cornering lights are very-very good and useful, compared to '17 FJR's that were not bright enough.
Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Number

• Africa Twin has a place in the Menu, to where one can setup a "oil change or other periodic maintenance reminder"
Font Circle Number Document Paper

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

as the pre-set mileage or date are approaching, a message will "Pop-Up" on the screen
Font Technology Screenshot Number Rectangle

• Africa Twin ES has more customization then FJR ES, which may be a "good or bad" thing, it depends if you like to change settings a lot or not. Many of the setting changes can make very noticeable difference in how the bike performs and handles, here's what can be adjusted;
Font Rectangle Screenshot Electric blue Software
Font Rectangle Screenshot Terrestrial plant Pattern
Rectangle Font Screenshot Circle Pattern

• Africa Twin clutch slipping can be adjusted via "G-switch"
Font Camera accessory Auto part Cameras & optics Camera

• there is also a "W" (wheelie control) that can be adjusted on the fly
Product Font Line Screenshot Parallel

"ABS RR" is for ABS Rear wheel
"HSTC" is Honda selectable torque control
"P" pie shape is for engine Power
"EB" pie shape is for Engine Breaking
"T" for Traction