FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Nice. Congrats.

Dang, dashes are getting fancy and complicated. You will learn to love the DCT. It's brilliant. I have the 750 version. Put 17,500 miles on it in the last 14 months.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice. Congrats.

Dang, dashes are getting fancy and complicated. You will learn to love the DCT. It's brilliant. I have the 750 version. Put 17,500 miles on it in the last 14 months.
Thank you Ferret, absolutely love the DCT, just select the "manual mode" and you are shifting just like before (and better)...except no squeezing the clutch and working your left foot...and DCT shifting is seamless, Honda really know how to make stuff, ...still waiting for that "Self balancing" to be implemented to their bikes, and then we can ride until 100 and beyond :)

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
523 Posts
Wow, that is quite a change.

I'm heading the other way. Got the FJR last month and Vstrom is on the market. Lost my taste for dirt adventures, and the garage is too crowded now.

I have a buddy with an Africa Twin. We keep saying we'll meet in a parking lot and swap bikes for a bit, but various things (weather, bike maintenance etc.) keep conspiring against it.

His is a 2020 with the DCT. He's commented recently that the auto-shifting is a bit abrupt. Maybe they refined it some for the 2022 model.

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
297 Posts
Very nice, congrats! I trust you’ll stick around and keep posting awesome pictures for us from time to time. Enjoy!

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, that is quite a change.

I'm heading the other way. Got the FJR last month and Vstrom is on the market. Lost my taste for dirt adventures, and the garage is too crowded now.

I have a buddy with an Africa Twin. We keep saying we'll meet in a parking lot and swap bikes for a bit, but various things (weather, bike maintenance etc.) keep conspiring against it.

His is a 2020 with the DCT. He's commented recently that the auto-shifting is a bit abrupt. Maybe they refined it some for the 2022 model.
Yes on my '22 there are three levels of "automatic" level 3 keeps the revs longer and it's not "rushing to shift" and the best thing is there is that MANUAL mode where you are in control of when to shift by using the "+ & -" paddles on the left hand.

It's a great improvement in the motorcycle industry, especially for the "aging riders with weary arthritis hands, bad knees or other issues"...I watched the YT video where the guy lost functionality of his left hand, and Honda DCT was a godsend to keep him in the game... how great is that? Thank you Honda :)

Of course there are Burgmans and such, but this is just BETTER.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice, congrats! I trust you’ll stick around and keep posting awesome pictures for us from time to time. Enjoy!
Thank you Aroxx, yes I like all three (FJR, Strom,AT) forums, and will stop by to share some nice pictures. Cheers 👍

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
523 Posts
I hear you. Last year, my left arm got wrecked in a crash someone else caused. Until the last couple of months, my left-hand grip strength was not quite back. One reason I chose a DL650 for a "new to me" bike last fall - lower clutch forces, what with the cable clutch.

It's subjective, but I feel like the clutch lever forces on the FJR are not as stout as they were on my old Vstrom DL1000. More than the DL650, sure.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hear you. Last year, my left arm got wrecked in a crash someone else caused. Until the last couple of months, my left-hand grip strength was not quite back. One reason I chose a DL650 for a "new to me" bike last fall - lower clutch forces, what with the cable clutch.

It's subjective, but I feel like the clutch lever forces on the FJR are not as stout as they were on my old Vstrom DL1000. More than the DL650, sure.
Hope you'll restore the functions of your injured arm :(, I will say it again; "DCT is a godsend" for tired hands with arthritis and imho "It doesn't take anything away" from conventional motorcycle experience as we know it. Everybody should at least try it before saying it's no good.
Honda is selling more then 50% of their bikes with DCT for reason.

I once calculated the number of gear changes I do on my 3-4hr joy rides on Vstrom and it came up in the 700-750 range :oops: ...shifting is fun...BUT it gets old pretty quick, especially in urban traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Very nice. And as already been said, will miss the pics of your FJR. Great photographic eye you have.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Premium Member
4,165 Posts
First: no reason to leave.

Second: Last year I went up to NE Arkansas for a meetup. I was on AR 103 on the way to the Oark Country Store.
2108 Millwood Dr to Oark General Store - Google Maps
Heading north is uphill. The first set of hairpins was bad enough, but the only way I got through the second set was by riding the clutch and throttle to keep the revs up and dragging the rear brake to keep the speed down. I kept thinking, "Don't stall and don't even think about using the front brake."

DCT looks to be a great development, but could it handle this?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well, that's different. I imagine that's what you were after. I need something different every decade of so, myself.
Curious; did you consider the Super Tenere?
True, changes are good, if you can afford it why not try them all, before we go all electric (y)or before we get too old, when we'll be kicking ourselves "for not spending some money on fun"

Most reviews I watched on Super Ten, didn't rave about the bike performance, and it was described as rather boring and lazy bike...can't comment since I never rode one. I am sure it's another good Yamaha product.

Last week when wife sent me shopping for a new bike, I had 3 bikes lined up to test ride, with intention to purchase the one I like the most.
Test rode them in this order:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

• GSA 1250 was on my wish list for some time now, and I really wanted one, however quick shifter was so clunky and jerky, engine is sweet and strong, but needs to be revved all the time, it also felt buzzy in the handlebar, no front dive felt weird and almost didn't make sense, sending wrong feedback
  • Triumph Tiger first impressions; great suspension, smooth quick shifter up and down, electric windscreen...also backlit buttons. Great engine sound and power. Imho it would be my choice over the GSA 1250
  • Africa Twin, liked the feel of the bike, felt light, great torque, suspension and brakes, nimble...and of course that DCT felt soo good and butter smooth. It took me about 10min to fall in love with those "+ and -" paddles, it felt like driving a super sport car. Since all of my bikes were manual tranny, it was time to get something completely different this time. Just came back from my ride, first time in the dark, great LED low and high, and finally "cornering lights that work" unlike the ones I had on my '17 FJR-ES that "just didn't work" ...also like the self cancelling signal lights on ATAS.
If you are on the market for a new ADV and are not keen on DCT, then pls try Africa T. standard or Triumph Tiger.
Dealer also wanted me to try the KTM 1290Adventure, but I don't like those crazy headlights so I said no thx. All YT reviews are very positive and the bike is a hoot to ride, 160hp on tap.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have 2,500 miles on my new Tiger in about eight weeks. Love the bike.
I don't blame you, I was impressed by the Tiger, like i said it would be my choice over the GSA, and they cost about the same.
But this time around the DCT won my heart... give me a couple years and I'll be on a Tiger 🤣

...Unless the new GSA 1300/1400 becomes available in DCT as well, as per some rumors 🤔

1 - 20 of 42 Posts