FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced a ticking sound around 2300 rpm at low speed (30-40 mph)? Sounds like valve. It's not loud but it bugs me, especially with only 400 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Had the same problem last year with my 2005. Turned out I was lucky.
The problem was finally located around the battery compartment. Dealer fixed everything by loosening parts of the fairing, made shure everything was lined up properly and tightened everything back again.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
zmlw3, there have been lots of documented bikes that tick. For different resons. The "dreaded tick" is distinct sound usually around 4,000 rpm, and doesn't come on till at least 8,000 miles on it and most don't start till 10-11,000. Yours is probably something different than the valve guide tick. Maybe a loose cam chain? If you're worried bring it over. I've heard 2-3 different tickers with the valve guide problem.

Glenn in Mustang

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have that noise too. But to me it sounds like normal valve train type noise. Very soft and not metalic. I am keeping my ear on it but not worried at this time.

Bryon

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 03 model has the same tick with 3000 miles on it. If its the same noise as mine, it sounds like tappets. I wouldn't worry unless its across the whole rev-range. Its a big engine and Ive owned a Busa, a CB1300 and a GSX 1400 and they all had a similar tick somewhere in the rev-range. The FJR fairing makes it sound a lot worse by channeling it to your head, it should sound quieter with the screen down. :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
I now have 4000 miles on my 06 FJR 1300A and I definitely hear this ticking or valve chatter between 2500 and 3500 RPM. Above or below this range and all is quiet. Any other 06 owners hearing this noise? It may not be "THE" tick, but it sure sounds like "A" tick. I'm just wondering if it is normal engine noise for this bike.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have around 3,500 on my bike and have not noticed it. But then, I haven't listened for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
9k miles on the 06 and she sounds like a Jet Airplane. No tick is decernible. I am using Amsoil 10w40 syn. I added synthetic at 6k miles. If you are wearing a Full Face Helmet, it must be pretty loud if you can hear it at 4k rpm.
Let us know if you take it to the dealer and they actually find something. If it were valves or guides, I would think you would hear it even at idle. On my Russian Ural, if I don't hear the valves, I know they are too tight and I have to adjust them again. I know, totally different machinery here.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I got caught last year with my 03 FJR. The edge of the right hand horn is very close to a metal strut which is part of the fairing support. At certain revs, the horn was vibrating against the strut, causing a ticking noise which I was firmly convinced was valve tic. I was most embarrassed when the mechanic found that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I recently bought a new helmet and discovered a "tick" on my 04 model, having read all the stuff about ticking bikes in the site, paranoia took over and I took it to where I have it serviced and was told just to keep an ear on but don't worry about it and don't let it spoil the ride. He said that some do some don't, if it gets louder come back and if it stay the same keep riding. good advice i thought :mrgreen:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dockjekyll said:
I now have 4000 miles on my 06 FJR 1300A and I definitely hear this ticking or valve chatter between 2500 and 3500 RPM. Above or below this range and all is quiet. Any other 06 owners hearing this noise? It may not be "THE" tick, but it sure sounds like "A" tick. I'm just wondering if it is normal engine noise for this bike.
...I sure as hell don`t like the sound of this... on `06s for gawd sakes!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's a thought about that ticking sound. I owned a Yamaha Venture and it developed a "Tick". After reading the VentureRider site, I found others having the same "Tick". It turned out, the rear splines came from the factory with little to no grease on them. After greasing the splines generously, the tick went away.
I realize, this may not be what is happening here, but if you can isolate the sound while moving, and it is in the rear of the bike, I would check the splines for grease.

·
Registered
87 Posts
shuswaper said:
Dockjekyll said:
I think it is more paranoia than actual ticking.

Mike

·
Registered
167 Posts
pronomian said:
shuswaper said:
Dockjekyll said:
I think it is more paranoia than actual ticking.

Mike
:roll:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Guys,

I suggest a good pair of ear plugs and a good full coverage helmet. and if you STILL hear noises...................only then would I worry.

Stop listening and ride that thing.

CZ

·
Registered
168 Posts
...u know CZ., I am pretty sure most of us agree with u! We get awfully hung up on issues. Maybe the machine does make allot of irritating noises but, so what?! The fact remains: amazing power at hand. I rest my case senore`. :ale:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tick Paranoia

I hesitate calling the the audible tick paranoia. I, too, have 400 miles on my week old '06AE, and I hear a ticking. Mostly at low speeds and lower RPM. Perhaps dropping almost $15k on a ride that is only a few days old and is making a ticking sound has an affect similar to paranoia! Thoughts?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Re: Tick Paranoia

tfruth said:
I hesitate calling the the audible tick paranoia. I, too, have 400 miles on my week old '06AE, and I hear a ticking. Mostly at low speeds and lower RPM. Perhaps dropping almost $15k on a ride that is only a few days old and is making a ticking sound has an affect similar to paranoia! Thoughts?
Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get ya! :D

I know I am not paranoid. I actually found a few of these owners groups after hearing the sound and wanting to know if anyone out there heard it as well. It was only then that I read about this "dreaded tick" in older models. Like I posted earlier, I don't think it is the dreaded ticking I have read about, but it definitely makes a noise.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts