FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just (dec. 2005) got a new cylinderhead on my -04, how often is the ticking starting for the second time??
is the cylinderhead that I got a good one??

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a dealer explain "the most common tick" is caused by the automatic cam-chain tensioner. Not sure (never can tell) how much truth there is, but mabe someone will confirm/deny the possiblity. It is is true, it could be what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had my Cam Chain Tensioner replaced.

Easy to tell, it ticks at idle but as soon as you increase the revs the noise goes away.

Mine is quiet again.. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had my cam chain tensioner replaced at around 30K. Having heard a couple of tickers (luckily not mine), it didn't sound quite the same. Plus the fact that it seemed to more noticable from the right side of the engine where the tickers seem to be more noticable from the left side. Also, as FJRFYM stated, the noise went away as soon as the RPMs were increased, which I don't think is the case with tickers. In any event, the noise was gone as soon as the tensioner was replaced. And of course it's a much easier and less expensive repair if you have to pay for it. Luckily I have Y.E.S. which picked up the tab.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to you all for your reply.
As I told you I got a new cylinderhead in december 2005, the noice I hear now is from the right side of the engine so perhaps it is a loos cam chaft chain as yamaha told me, they mean the noise will go away after I used the bike and run it for a few miles.

What do you think???

·
Registered
949 Posts
To me it sounds like a money issue. When the head was replaced the job cost was covered by the YES insurance ? The cynic in me says the cam chain adjustment was reassembled / adjusted too loosely or should have been replaced as part of the head work. The dealer will no doubt welcome a second separate YES claim (if applicable) for the tensioner replacement. If it was my bike I'd give it maybe a 100miles around town up and down on the throttle and if it was still there have it back to them as soon as. Take no prisoners !

Cheers
Lenz

·
Registered
29 Posts
My suzuki eleven ticked but my 05 fjr wont

I have taken my time to break her in now with ten thousand km on her i still have not revved past 7000 and mostly never take her past six.
the engine is very smooth.
my suzuki i beat it to death spending a lot of time only on wheel.
and revving past eleven to race smaller 600's

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: camchain tensioners

Mike-H said:
Warchild is this a serious problem or just a wear item :?
For some this is just a wear item but for me it is a true and major issue and my bike has only 21000 km on the odo so it schould be ok, the warranty is still valid. :evil:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts