FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bike with a sticky throttle. I think the return spring broke at some point and the previous owner tried to fix it with bailing wire.

Is the return spring a problem on these or, is this one unique?

The bike is still under warranty but, I am not sure how the dealer will feel about this situation. I can remove the wire but, it will require an extensive tear down just to get to it. I truly can't imagine anyone going to this much trouble to do this, and not just do it right.

Any input would be helpful, even if it's just sympathy. :roll:

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
I haven't removed a throttle spring, but many people have to give a lighter throttle. Some people (very few) posted that they had attached wire to the spring they removed so they could reattach if necessary, but I don't recall anyone ever hooking the spring back up. I don't recall anyone being unhappy with the spring disconnect, so maybe the wire you see is a bad attempt at keeping an option that is not needed, and the wire can just be removed.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
+1 - many detached the main spring including me, plus I also attached wire to the spring in case of a reconnect.

Mine has just started to become a little sticky and I guess I will need to lubricate the cables to solve it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Removing one of the springs will be a rainy day project here.

I think it will help with the transition from no throttle to part throttle as well as making the bike more enjoyable.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ok...throttle spring removed.

Pretty easy to do.

The pull is about 40% lighter and should make it much better.

Looking forward to riding it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ok, took it for ride, both in town and on highway.

Much better.

Easier on the forearm, bike is not so "jerky", and easier to properly control the throttle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
throttle return spring

I tilted the tank and looked down to see the area between the 2nd and 3rd throttle bodies. There was a hook around a flat, rotating device that turned when the trottle was opened and closed. Is that the throttle return spring? Do you just unhook it? Is there a problem leaving it loose without removing it? I want to do this mod but am not sure what I am looking at.
I would appreciate the help. Mybike is an 06 fjr.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Scott, from your description it sounds like you are looking at the right item. Yes, just unhook it and leave it there, it wont cause any problems. I'm on my third FJR now, and I've done it to all 3.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts