FJR Owners Forum banner

Throttle Response

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  RaYzerman 
#1 ·
I noted on a Wikipedia page that changes had been made to the ECU in 2008 to improve the on/off throttle response and transitions. I have a 2006 FJR1300AS and I always thought this was one of the faults on a magnificent motorbike. It is very harsh with just a cracking of the throttle. The question is:- Is it possible to update the ECU mapping to the 2008 map to try and alleviate this problem? Cheers.

#2 ·
Google Ivan’s flash for 2nd Gen FJR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#5 ·
2006-07 were the worst for throttle snatch, we did all kinds of things and didn't solve it entirely..... skip to the end for the real fix for these... the Ivan flash for Gen2. I'd do it in a heartbeat, it is the most cost effective.
To answer your original question, the '08 ECU was better, even better later, say 2010.

Reactions: 2GENAE
#7 ·
Ivan's ECU

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. This certainly looks the go as a fix but I have some problems;
Does anybody have an email address for Ivan? He doesn't list one on his web page and telephoning and discussing matters from Australia could become a bit expensive.
Similarly whipping out my ECU and mailing it to the USA for remapping is fraught with dangers in regard to the current postal uncertainties, let alone the amount of time the bike is off the road.
Cheers.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. This certainly looks the go as a fix but I have some problems;
Does anybody have an email address for Ivan? He doesn't list one on his web page and telephoning and discussing matters from Australia could become a bit expensive.
Similarly whipping out my ECU and mailing it to the USA for remapping is fraught with dangers in regard to the current postal uncertainties, let alone the amount of time the bike is off the road.
Cheers.
http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fjr1300.htm Try this link.

Louis

#10 ·
I'm pretty sure that Ivan maintains a Facebook page for his products. That's where users can leave testimonials. Hopefully he monitors that and could get back to you if you leave a message. Also, on Ivan's contact page, there is a link for a European partner. Perhaps he has a partner in AUS that he hasn't listed. Good Luck. I have Ivan's re-flash on my '06. Highly recommended.

#11 ·
Is there a difference in ECUs between the US and Australian versions?

If not, there are ECUs on eBay for not that much. Maybe it'd be feasible to get one to Ivan, get it flashed, then let someone here get it to you.

Just brainstormin' . . . . :)

#12 ·
If the OZ bikes have an immobilizer, you're limited in ECU choices as they will have to come with the red master key (or other locks and keys if you want all the locks the same). They won't be cheap. FYI, Ivan can do immobilizer ECU's.... you'll have to contact him....
Meanwhile to mitigate some of your snatchy throttle issues.... do the throttle spring unwind if not already done, reduce throttle freeplay to near zero, up the idle speed to 1100 minimum, get a G2 throttle tamer or modify the cam profile on the throttle tube to a slower rate of pull.
What is happening is when you throttle off to zero, that cuts the fuel supply and when opening the throttle, there is a slight delay as the injectors re-wet the cylinders...... depends on the situation but if you can slightly throttle back on that re-wet will occur and you can carry on..... there is no cure for this except a flash to eliminate the fuel cut, which Ivan does.
The other thing we did was install Power Commanders to add a little more fuel in the lower throttle openings. All in, we spent more than the Ivan flash costs and didn't cure it.

Reactions: dimmer and 2GENAE
#13 ·
Hey there, hope all are well and looking forward to the riding season in in the Mid-west. I have an '07 AE, second owner with > 30K m. The Original ECU was replaced by the Dealer under Warranty (?) in according to service receipts. I don't have much snatch and have great response throughout but being an AE it is sometimes tricky. How do I check the Date code or mapping used in the ECU installed in Oct. 2010. This work was at the delivering dealer, all service at this shop in Richmond, KY. Good Reputation and maybe the PO got them to fix his original ECU. I do my own work so far.
Thanks in advance and best regards.

#14 ·
There was a service bulletin for '07 that was an ECU replacement for the "altitude sickness" problem, essentially the bike would misbehave when not sensing altitude changes. That was available for I believe only those who complained, was not a recall. It was discontinued after a couple or three years, not available now AFAIK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.