FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the symptoms of a bad TPS. The bike has a hesitation right off idle. It happens at about 1200 rpm. Once past this position it runs fine. It's really bothersome when I'm negotiating traffic or manuvering at slow speed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If the hesitation is pretty severe, and it sounds like it is, you're probably on the right track. It tends to be quite intermittent as well. In my case at first it was several weeks between episodes. Sometimes it would clear up by itself in a few miles, but usually I'd have to shut it off for a few minutes and then restart. After about 9 months, it was doing it quite regularly. And after a couple of trips to the dealer, including a time I rode by the dealership while it was happening and I left it running while I went in and had the service writer ride it, they replaced the TPS. It had died on him 4 times when taking off from a stop on the short test ride because he wasn't used to it and I'd learned to compensate. That was about a year ago, and no problems since.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sharkey. It is intermittent and I guess I'm going to have to spend the money for a new one unless someone has a way to test the old one. I assume it's basically a rheostat so again I guess it could be checked with an ohmmeter or an oscilliscope. However, I don't have an oscope so I will have to try the trusty multimeter.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Isn't there a way of getting the TPS reading up onto the display by running the bike in Diagnostic mode? Seem to remember reading about that some time ago.

Or it might just be a brain fart moment.

·
Registered
97 Posts
TPS

Hi Guys,

I read the links to the TPS threads, sounds VERY similar to mine... Have printed out to show dealer.

There is only one but I have. If it is the TBS, could it have been the TPS before, and if so, could it also go well for many months before it happened again ??

That is the only difference I see being that everyone else seems to have had the problem start and not go away... Where as I had the probelm before, it went away for a long period, but is now back... Hope that makes sense !

·
Registered
39 Posts
Initially my bike would go for several weeks between incidences. As it progressed over a period of months it got worse until eventually it was happening several times a week. Since replacement of the TPS it hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, maybe we have another "ticking" type issue here. We could do a mass email to Yamaha and accuse them of covering this up. 8)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm in need of a bit of technical guidence. I have an '03 with 18K miles and have been doing battle with a "surging" "hesitation" and "dying" situation since mid summer last year. I threw some money at my FJR in the form of a Power Commander III USB, which appeared to resolve the situation. Although later last summer the fine throttle hesitation gradually returned. I disengaged the PC III and situation seemed to improve for a short time, say 20 minutes on a ride, before the symptoms returned. Now, the most recent ride of only a few miles in town, resulted in severe hesitation, and the engine dying at every stop sign. I had the original battery checked. It is pushing 13.91 volts and when stress to the amount of 300 amps (at Allied battery dealer) it still did great. Starting is NO problem, fast cranking and starting at or before 2 seconds of cranking time. I read completely the above technical suggestions, ran the on board TPS diagnostic which was letter perfect from 15 to 100 several times.

Local dealer is not one I take my FJR to - I go to Sunnyside an hours drive and their service techs are not in on weekends.

No much I can do but :ale:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Throttle Position Diagnostics showed my TPS as spot on as well, but I still chose to replace it (do it yourself job).. All symptoms and problems that you are experiencing will vanish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts