FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Can't quite figure out what's going on there. looks like some scientific experiment gone bad.

He must be screwing with us, but then again why would he go through all that trouble.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
I don't see a problem, it will do exactly what it was designed to do.
Which would be what? Blow green bubbles?

I can't make heads or tails of it. What's with all the cross over tubes? What are the 4 black hoses heading towards the tail?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Only sen this design in 2 cylinder setups before so not sure it will work. Will test tomorrow.

It was built as a quick prototype, using what i had laying around and took the first thing that will do the job😁- Jar bottles and glue sticks.
I rather spend time experimenting and learn something than just order it and miss the learning part.
If this works, maybe I build something that looks better, but probably not🤣

I think it's possible to achieve the same with fewer hoses, only connected to the adjacent bottles.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm pretty sure there are better DIY sync tool designs. I can't imagine that this set up would provide any accuracy at all.

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, there are probably something better out there.
But no accuracy at all.. why do you think so? Physics doesn't care if it's ugly.:p

The principle behind this is not to measure the vacuum in kPa or any other scale.
The actual value is not interesting and would differ from most gauges.
This creation would only show the difference between the vacuum/pressure in the different bottles.
When its the same preassure in all cans, no fluid will flow from one to another anymore.

They are in fact very sensitive to pressure or suction. Maybe to sensitive.
If i blow air with my mouth into one of the hoses, I can have the end of the hose 3-4 inches away from my mouth and the levels change very rapid.
My bet is that this would not work so good because they are too sensitive compared to the height, so I will have to little time to adjust.
If and when a bottle goes empty, I need to bleed hoses on top before another try,

I have to wait a couple of more days for an order with silicon caps to plug the air induction system before i can start the engine so i have not tested it yet.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Probably? 😁

How do you know each jar has the exact same amount of liquid? Is each tube exactly the same length? And inner diameter? And bleeding hoses before each try? Too many variables but I give you credit for creativity. I'd like to see a video of it working.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know if they have the same amount of liquid, but I assume that the glass doesn't differ that much.
As long as none of the hoses are not connected to anything else than atmosperic preassure, the levels are the same in all jars so we can assume the have the same amount of liquid.
Rubber tubes are not the same length, they are made to fit the distance between the throttle bodys.
The rubber hoses i think is 4 mm, they are extended with the 2mm (?) blue plastic fuel line I had laying around from a diesel aux. heater installation in a boat. So the area differ around 4 times.
The lines are cut to approximately the same length, but that's most for the visual appeal😜.

I think its fascinating that none of the above makes a different.
Since all the fluid are connected, the different pressures between the jars decide the levels.

·
Registered
513 Posts
But no accuracy at all.. why do you think so?
Mainly because the level of fluid in the bottles would seem to be hard to distinguish. All the sync tools I have seen have small tubes so that the volume difference is very easy to discern.

·
Premium Member
FJR1300 A, TMax 530 DX, Tracer GT900, XS850, Niken
357 Posts
It seems (looking at the video) that balance is achieved when there is no transfer of liquid between any of the jars, not the level in the jar itself.

·
Registered
2005 FJR1300ABS
18 Posts
Do you believe it will work?
View attachment 86122
Buy 4 of these off Amazon plus vacuum hose. Hook up one per cylinder and adjust for even vacuum settings across all 4 cylinders.
the oil filled gauges smoothen out the readings. It’s very accurate and easy to hook up
Gauge Clock Font Measuring instrument Circle

1 - 20 of 25 Posts