FJR Owners Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts
If you take your Yamaha warranty card to a dealer it has the chassis number on it and they will be able to tell you what model year it is and the correct parts for the bike. Also if you look at the side wall of the tyre the date of manufacture is there in code, Google tyre codes and it will tell you how to read them and that will give you some idea of when the bike was built as the tyres will have been fairly new. My tyres were date stamped for October 2019 so when I bought it in 2020 I new that I had a bike that had not spent years sitting in a showroom with people clambering all over it.
What a useless post for the OP

Ugh, I am so sorry to hear that. If you are anything like me you were mad at yourself for days. I knew better, grrr. At least you had the T-Rex bars on. Imagine what would have happened without them.
I was only mad at myself for an hour or so. I’d read some comments on this site that gave me comfort such as I was “marking it as mine“ and ”giving it the lived-in look.” Thanks to those who had posted those.

Stuff happens and in the big scheme of things, this was really a nothing burger.

. . . motorcycle kickstands . . . one of the poorest piece of engineering, and the biggest surprise is that nobody can come up with a better and more secure way to support motorcycles . . . piece of machinery leaning on a straw, where a puff of wind can tip it to the opposite side . . . to fall, sink in the soft ground, or that somebody wouldn't try and sit on it to take pictures (yes it happens)
Sorry to have so heavily edited your post Damir but . . . I believe that Harley-Davidson's "Jiffy Stand" is the better engineered kickstand you're looking for.

There is a tab protruding from the upper end of the Jiffy Stand's (kickstand's) arm that mates into a notch on the pivot plate attached to the motorcycle's frame thereby making it impossible for the motorcycle to roll forward or backwards off the stand. They are strong enough to support a leaned over, near 900 pound motorcycle with a person or two seated feet up on it (for photo shoots, of course!) and their shape combined with their angle of deployment seems to make them nearly immune to sinking (deeply) into soft surfaces. Not sure if all Harley's use the Jiffy Stand but I know it is used on the FLH models. Other manufacturers could learn something from Harley-Davidson. Imagine that!

Haynes

Reactions: rbentnail
A buddy`s `03 HD Nightrain has the jiffy stand so it goes back a long way. Gives me a mini panic attack every time the bike rolls fwd but there's no way it's coming off that sidestand.

Sorry to have so heavily edited your post Damir but . . . I believe that Harley-Davidson's "Jiffy Stand" is the better engineered kickstand you're looking for.
no problem Haynes...yes I am aware of Jiffy stands and also Ducati 900ss had auto retracting side stands. Start leaning the bike up and as soon as the weight was off it would snap into the "up" position. Bottom line some are better then the others, but still "kickstands", considering how heavy and expensive bikes are, they deserve something more solid (imho) i.e.
I would sleep much better with a pair of these, one on each side ;) :):

my Vstrom 650 came with the kickstand that is almost 90 deg towards the ground ,push the bike forward 2 inches and it would almost loose the kickstand support, so I had to grind it a bit, for a more forward (positive) angle. Here is my modified kickstand next to Ducati with much better kickstand angle:

here is my Strom stand after and before (small pic) the "mod"

even the center stand is about 90deg relative to the ground, small nudge from behind...off she goes :(

Brand new Vstrom 650 at the dealer floor:

apologies to OP, didn't want to turn this thread into a "kickstand debate"

apologies to OP, didn't want to turn this thread into a "kickstand debate"
Agreed, however it was a kickstand, or accessing one, that started this thread.

The issues with your VStrom's kickstand and others, my CBR1100XX for example, could be corrected with a design like that of the Jiffy Stand.

I would never trust an automatically retracted (or deployed if there's such a thing) kickstand.

As far your desire for outriggers on both sides is concerned, they exist: They're called cars.🤪😈

Cheers.

Haynes

Agreed, however it was a kickstand, or accessing one, that started this thread.
The issues with your VStrom's kickstand and others, my CBR1100XX for example, could be corrected with a design like that of the Jiffy Stand.
I would never trust an automatically retracted (or deployed if there's such a thing) kickstand.
As far your desire for outriggers on both sides is concerned, they exist: They're called cars.🤪😈
Cheers.
Haynes
you're right it is a "kickstand thread" ;-P

Yeah I wasn't happy with my Vstrom kickstand being 90 deg relative to the ground, so I fixed it, and feel much better (y) (of course some Strom owners liked the "mod" and some didn't, but that's to be expected...forums are famous for that)

I never tried the BMW power center stand, but I like the idea, especially on bigger bikes, I was hoping the new Wing would have had that feature for sure, there are many Wing owners struggling with the center stand. It took Honda 30yrs to "copy" the bmw (1987) front suspension, so I was hoping they would copy the stand too.

...speaking of center stands, the FJR can be intimidating for many riders of smaller stature.

I don't remember having any "issues" with my Blackbird, so I had to find some pictures...hmm I don't know it looks Ok on my bike:

As far your desire for outriggers on both sides is concerned, they exist: They're called cars.🤪😈 or better yet, Can-Am's :) they would be the next thing after motorcycles....a leaning Ryker, if they ever make one, I am sure they would be a blast to ride (and no kickstand mishaps on those (y):) )

still waiting for that Honda Neo-Wing 1800cc prototype introduced 3 yrs ago

Attachments

...speaking of center stands, the FJR can be intimidating for many riders of smaller statue.

I didn't remember having any "issues" with my Blackbird
I believe that centre stand deployment issues are more technique related than they are matters of strength or stature.

I had both a red and a black Blackbird (sad story). I believe there was a known issue with them rolling forward if left in neutral when parked on the side stand. Not sure why this was an issue but it happened to me - once, however I got lucky and caught it and muscled it upright before it hit the ground.

Haynes

Vstrom dl1000 is 10x worse than an FJR in terms of getting it on the center stand.

Sorry for your 'loss' .

My son dropped my FJR coming to a stop sign when his foot slipped on some loose gravel .

He is only 5'7' and maybe 130 lbs .
He was so apologetic , but honestly it didn't bother me at all .

Got the first drop out of the way !

He hasn't ridden it since , by his choice . He sticks to his lil' 300 Ninja .

Luckily the T Rex bars did an admirable job - no damage other than a few scrapes to the bars themselves .
A little touchup paint and good to go .

MY PROBLEM , is that I have doubts that I will be able to pick it up by myself , should that need arise . :oops:
I'm pretty sure that I'm going to drop the forks a tad and install Soupy's links - soon !

George
If I was much less than the 6ft, 188lbs that I am, I would be terrified of the FJR for that reason. But as it is I love er’😆

Kind of unrelated, but I always thought was pretty ingenious, was the center stand for my Kawasaki Voyager XII.

Here is a video demo:

Funny enough, on the Honda safety course they teach that you should first unmount, hold the bike, and only then put the kickstand down. Which is supposed to be the correct way, because... I dunno. It's stupid. I've always been doing kickstand first, unmount after because far too many times have I slipped while getting off the bike and had the kickstand not been down, the bike would have just plopped to the ground between my legs.
Also, I am terrified to put the bike on the center stand ever since that one time it tipped over to the right while I was feeling for the upright position and it went a tad too far.
Apparently all the safety course teachers have long inseam and only ride small bikes LOL. Imagine getting off a wing and then putting sidestand down. LOL

Apparently all the safety course teachers have long inseam and only ride small bikes LOL. Imagine getting off a wing and then putting sidestand down. LOL
Pretty dumb in my opinion. I'm 6ft and any bike I ride, the kickstand goes down and the bike is resting on it before dismount.

A buddy`s `03 HD Nightrain has the jiffy stand so it goes back a long way. Gives me a mini panic attack every time the bike rolls fwd but there's no way it's coming off that sidestand.
I know exactly what you're talking about. My son laughs at me every time.

I mostly roll up to park in first gear and kill the engine with the side stand...... shouldn't roll then unless you're on a steeper downhill....

Reactions: skippy344!
Funny enough, on the Honda safety course they teach that you should first unmount, hold the bike, and only then put the kickstand down. Which is supposed to be the correct way, because... I dunno. It's stupid. I've always been doing kickstand first, unmount after because far too many times have I slipped while getting off the bike and had the kickstand not been down, the bike would have just plopped to the ground between my legs.
Also, I am terrified to put the bike on the center stand ever since that one time it tipped over to the right while I was feeling for the upright position and it went a tad too far.
I agree completely. Have no idea why they would suggest that.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.