FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yeah. I pulled the trigger and am now the owner of a 2021 FJR1300. Yay me.

Now the bad (which needs little explanation beyond the subject). I pulled into the center of a parking space on a slight incline. You know, where everyone's cars leak because it's a car, who fucking cares? Yeah, well that coupled with Yamaha not putting the center stand brace far enough away that I thought I had propped the kickstand but instead had apparently only just pushed the center stand down a few inches and it of course flipped right back up like a good center stand does. However my left foot hit that oil patch and in something that I can only explain as happening in slow motion, my foot slipped and down she went. I managed to slow the drop and probably avoided serious damage, but the mirror, stator cover and a touch of the side case took some damage.

Are the 2021's exactly the same as the 2020's? Specifically the color? I am going to buy a new stator cover and gasket as well as the left hand mirror but apparently none of the parts houses online have the 2021 FJR in their parts catalog yet. From what I can see I should be able to buy all of those parts as though the bike was a 2020 and they should fit perfectly, even the colors seem to be the same for each year. But then again, I don't really feel like pushing my luck right now, all things considered.

Am I safe to order 2020 parts?

(next on my to-do list, purchase some drop bars)

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,457 Posts
The paint code is on a sticker stuck to the seat latch plate or near there. Verify that against 2020 and good to go. Maybe a 2020 owner can post up their paint code.......
In the part listings, 2020 is DNMN, part of that may be on the sticker.....

Yammy website says both years are Liquid Graphite.

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300A
31 Posts
Sorry to hear, I'm 5'9 and 150, these things weigh more than 5 times than me. Scares me that might get off balance and flop over. Do frame sliders help minimize the damage if you tip over?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Not sure if this is the sticker that RaYzerman is referring to, but here you go: Canadian 2020 FJR1300ES. I believe the colour was called "liquid graphite". Get yourself some T-Rex bars asap!

Haynes
20210519_195824.jpg

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Sorry to hear, I'm 5'9 and 150, these things weigh more than 5 times than me. Scares me that might get off balance and flop over. Do frame sliders help minimize the damage if you tip over?
Math not your strong point is it? :D

Welcome aboard and yes, sliders will help. But you'll find a lot of owners opt for saddle bag and/or crash bars because this bike is top heavy.

Reactions: Heffling

·
Registered
311 Posts
pics.

we wanna see.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I put the side stand down then put my toe behind it and kick if forward just to make danged sure it's all the way. It's a habit I've had for as long as I can remember; I probably did it on my bicycles as a kid ;) If i do let the bike roll off the side stand, it's my fault for not doing it right.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well, unfortunately, it seems your forum moniker is all too appropriate! Congrats on getting the first drop done and out of the way. Now they get easier to deal with....

Yes, crash bars are a great investment and should be mounted ASAP! Make sure you didn't break the front subframe where the mirror mounts. All to often it breaks on drops magnifying the PITA factor of a repair infinitely.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Whoops, Congratulations for buying your FJR! It's very exciting to have a new bike, and all the more so when it is really a new bike (not just "new to you").
Condolences on your "stop'n'flop" of sorts. Most believe it's inevitable (I hope they're wrong) so, as others have said, good that you got yours done early so you don't have to be concerned about it anymore.;)
+1 on the value of protective guards (I don't like to think of them as "crash" guards) ... I have T-Rex guards fore and aft. Protection for the bike and peace of mind for me.

Enjoy your FJR!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dropped mine with the Wife on the back, these bikes are top-heavy for sure. Ordered up some T-Rex bits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So yeah. I pulled the trigger and am now the owner of a 2021 FJR1300. Yay me.

Now the bad (which needs little explanation beyond the subject). I pulled into the center of a parking space on a slight incline. You know, where everyone's cars leak because it's a car, who fucking cares? Yeah, well that coupled with Yamaha not putting the center stand brace far enough away that I thought I had propped the kickstand but instead had apparently only just pushed the center stand down a few inches and it of course flipped right back up like a good center stand does. However my left foot hit that oil patch and in something that I can only explain as happening in slow motion, my foot slipped and down she went. I managed to slow the drop and probably avoided serious damage, but the mirror, stator cover and a touch of the side case took some damage.

Are the 2021's exactly the same as the 2020's? Specifically the color? I am going to buy a new stator cover and gasket as well as the left hand mirror but apparently none of the parts houses online have the 2021 FJR in their parts catalog yet. From what I can see I should be able to buy all of those parts as though the bike was a 2020 and they should fit perfectly, even the colors seem to be the same for each year. But then again, I don't really feel like pushing my luck right now, all things considered.

Am I safe to order 2020 parts?

(next on my to-do list, purchase some drop bars)
I've only had my 2021 FJR1300 ESM for 7 days and I almost do what happened to you every time I try to put down the kickstand. So you're not the only one doing this. My front and rear drop bars are arriving in 2 days and I plan to get them mounted right away. I hope the damage doesn't take away from your excitement of getting this new bike. Good luck

·
Registered
63 Posts
Funny enough, on the Honda safety course they teach that you should first unmount, hold the bike, and only then put the kickstand down. Which is supposed to be the correct way, because... I dunno. It's stupid. I've always been doing kickstand first, unmount after because far too many times have I slipped while getting off the bike and had the kickstand not been down, the bike would have just plopped to the ground between my legs.
Also, I am terrified to put the bike on the center stand ever since that one time it tipped over to the right while I was feeling for the upright position and it went a tad too far.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Funny enough, on the Honda safety course they teach that you should first unmount, hold the bike, and only then put the kickstand down. Which is supposed to be the correct way, because... I dunno. It's stupid.
You are correct: it's stupid. Beyond dumb, actually.

Haynes

Reactions: RedRockFJRider14

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Whoops, too bad but it happens, when I dropped mine it was at a down hill stop where it was raining and I managed to stick my foot in a slick spot on the pavement of either antifreeze or oil, my foot just slid out, luckily it was a controlled drop. Scratched up my lh mirror and the chrome trim on the lh saddlebag, no biggie. I got the worst of it as I sprained my wrist and somehow managed to crack a couple of ribs, Thank goodness I had my armored mesh jacket & helmet on !

Mother Yamaha sure could have done a better job on the kickstand arm, it is difficult to use, kinda jumbled in with the foot pegs but I think if it stuck out more you’d be catching your pant leg on it at stops ! I’ve thought about adding an extension to mine but catching my pant leg would cause a drop as well, just not good.

It sucks to drop a new bike but you’re ok and it could’ve Been worse.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
You are correct: it's stupid. Beyond dumb, actually.

Haynes
Yeah. I read that and thought that I'd have problems taking the rest of the course seriously.

Hey, I've thought about this and wondered if the placement of the centerstand tang behind the footpeg may be a problem for some. I found it very awkward for a while turning my foot to get it behind the peg, until I realized I could hold my foot normally, bring it up in front of the peg and push the peg back with my heel. That places my heel directly above the sidestand tang where it's been on most other bikes I've owned. LOL From there I can push it all the way to the stop very comfortably.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Hey Whoops. Thought I recognized that avatar lol. Did you trade the CB 1100 in on the FJR?

I dropped my FJR 6 weeks into ownership, turning around in a gravel parking lot. Like oil, gravel does not allow a very secure footing, and bam down she went. Broke my left elbow in the process.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Given the proximity between the foot peg, the side stand tang and the centre stand tang, and with my size 48 boots, I have to be very careful when accessing the side stand tang. I also have Murph's rider foot peg lowering brackets and that might make it even harder to access the side stand tang. Be careful, always look down, and give your side stand a kick forward for good measure, before you dismount!

Haynes

Reactions: Carbide
1 - 20 of 60 Posts