FJR Owners Forum banner

Three day old FJR1300 tipped...

6K views 59 replies 30 participants last post by  jjscsix 
#1 · (Edited)
So yeah. I pulled the trigger and am now the owner of a 2021 FJR1300. Yay me.

Now the bad (which needs little explanation beyond the subject). I thought I had propped the kickstand but instead had apparently only just pushed the center stand down a few inches and it of course flipped right back up like a good center stand does. However my left foot slipped and in something that I can only explain as happening in slow motion, down she went. I managed to slow the drop and probably avoided serious damage, but the mirror, stator cover and a touch of the side case took some damage.

Are the 2021's exactly the same as the 2020's? Specifically the color? I am going to buy a new stator cover and gasket as well as the left hand mirror but apparently none of the parts houses online have the 2021 FJR in their parts catalog yet. From what I can see I should be able to buy all of those parts as though the bike was a 2020 and they should fit perfectly, even the colors seem to be the same for each year. But then again, I don't really feel like pushing my luck right now, all things considered.

Am I safe to order 2020 parts?

(next on my to-do list, purchase some drop bars)

See less See more
#2 ·
The paint code is on a sticker stuck to the seat latch plate or near there. Verify that against 2020 and good to go. Maybe a 2020 owner can post up their paint code.......
In the part listings, 2020 is DNMN, part of that may be on the sticker.....

Yammy website says both years are Liquid Graphite.

#5 ·
Math not your strong point is it? :D

Welcome aboard and yes, sliders will help. But you'll find a lot of owners opt for saddle bag and/or crash bars because this bike is top heavy.

Reactions: Heffling
#4 ·
Not sure if this is the sticker that RaYzerman is referring to, but here you go: Canadian 2020 FJR1300ES. I believe the colour was called "liquid graphite". Get yourself some T-Rex bars asap!

Haynes
Gas Machine Wood Screw Machine tool

#28 ·
My paint code isn't quite the same it seems. Hmm, maybe better to wait until they have 2021 specific parts available.

#7 ·
I put the side stand down then put my toe behind it and kick if forward just to make danged sure it's all the way. It's a habit I've had for as long as I can remember; I probably did it on my bicycles as a kid ;) If i do let the bike roll off the side stand, it's my fault for not doing it right.

#8 ·
Well, unfortunately, it seems your forum moniker is all too appropriate! Congrats on getting the first drop done and out of the way. Now they get easier to deal with....

Yes, crash bars are a great investment and should be mounted ASAP! Make sure you didn't break the front subframe where the mirror mounts. All to often it breaks on drops magnifying the PITA factor of a repair infinitely.

#26 ·
Make sure you didn't break the front subframe where the mirror mounts. All to often it breaks on drops magnifying the PITA factor of a repair infinitely.
^ this. Do this.

Reactions: passx
#10 ·
Whoops, Congratulations for buying your FJR! It's very exciting to have a new bike, and all the more so when it is really a new bike (not just "new to you").
Condolences on your "stop'n'flop" of sorts. Most believe it's inevitable (I hope they're wrong) so, as others have said, good that you got yours done early so you don't have to be concerned about it anymore.;)
+1 on the value of protective guards (I don't like to think of them as "crash" guards) ... I have T-Rex guards fore and aft. Protection for the bike and peace of mind for me.

Enjoy your FJR!

#12 ·
So yeah. I pulled the trigger and am now the owner of a 2021 FJR1300. Yay me.

Now the bad (which needs little explanation beyond the subject). I pulled into the center of a parking space on a slight incline. You know, where everyone's cars leak because it's a car, who fucking cares? Yeah, well that coupled with Yamaha not putting the center stand brace far enough away that I thought I had propped the kickstand but instead had apparently only just pushed the center stand down a few inches and it of course flipped right back up like a good center stand does. However my left foot hit that oil patch and in something that I can only explain as happening in slow motion, my foot slipped and down she went. I managed to slow the drop and probably avoided serious damage, but the mirror, stator cover and a touch of the side case took some damage.

Are the 2021's exactly the same as the 2020's? Specifically the color? I am going to buy a new stator cover and gasket as well as the left hand mirror but apparently none of the parts houses online have the 2021 FJR in their parts catalog yet. From what I can see I should be able to buy all of those parts as though the bike was a 2020 and they should fit perfectly, even the colors seem to be the same for each year. But then again, I don't really feel like pushing my luck right now, all things considered.

Am I safe to order 2020 parts?

(next on my to-do list, purchase some drop bars)
I've only had my 2021 FJR1300 ESM for 7 days and I almost do what happened to you every time I try to put down the kickstand. So you're not the only one doing this. My front and rear drop bars are arriving in 2 days and I plan to get them mounted right away. I hope the damage doesn't take away from your excitement of getting this new bike. Good luck

#13 ·
Funny enough, on the Honda safety course they teach that you should first unmount, hold the bike, and only then put the kickstand down. Which is supposed to be the correct way, because... I dunno. It's stupid. I've always been doing kickstand first, unmount after because far too many times have I slipped while getting off the bike and had the kickstand not been down, the bike would have just plopped to the ground between my legs.
Also, I am terrified to put the bike on the center stand ever since that one time it tipped over to the right while I was feeling for the upright position and it went a tad too far.

#15 ·
Funny enough, on the Honda safety course they teach that you should first unmount, hold the bike, and only then put the kickstand down. Which is supposed to be the correct way, because... I dunno. It's stupid.
You are correct: it's stupid. Beyond dumb, actually.

Haynes

Reactions: RedRockFJRider14
#17 ·
Whoops, too bad but it happens, when I dropped mine it was at a down hill stop where it was raining and I managed to stick my foot in a slick spot on the pavement of either antifreeze or oil, my foot just slid out, luckily it was a controlled drop. Scratched up my lh mirror and the chrome trim on the lh saddlebag, no biggie. I got the worst of it as I sprained my wrist and somehow managed to crack a couple of ribs, Thank goodness I had my armored mesh jacket & helmet on !

Mother Yamaha sure could have done a better job on the kickstand arm, it is difficult to use, kinda jumbled in with the foot pegs but I think if it stuck out more you’d be catching your pant leg on it at stops ! I’ve thought about adding an extension to mine but catching my pant leg would cause a drop as well, just not good.

It sucks to drop a new bike but you’re ok and it could’ve Been worse.

#22 ·
  • Mother Yamaha sure could have done a better job on the kickstand arm,
  • it is difficult to use,
  • kinda jumbled in with the foot pegs
  • but I think if it stuck out more you’d be catching your pant leg on it at stops !
  • I’ve thought about adding an extension to mine but catching my pant leg would cause a drop as well,
  • just not good.
you said it all there Steve, I said it before and I'll say it again; motorcycle kickstands are my worst nightmare's, one of the poorest piece of engineering, and the biggest surprise is that nobody can come up with a better and more secure way to support motorcycles. The last useful improvement that I can remember was a BMW push button center stand.

Whoever engineered Kickstands as we know it, must have been obsessed by "elephants walking in high heels" ...To have a heavy and very expensive piece of machinery leaning on a straw, where a puff of wind can tip it to the opposite side, ...plain stupid.
It would almost be much safer to lay the bike down resting on frame sliders / crash bars, ....at least you would know, it's not going to fall, sink in the soft ground, or that somebody wouldn't try and sit on it to take pictures (yes it happens)

Reactions: passx
#20 ·
Given the proximity between the foot peg, the side stand tang and the centre stand tang, and with my size 48 boots, I have to be very careful when accessing the side stand tang. I also have Murph's rider foot peg lowering brackets and that might make it even harder to access the side stand tang. Be careful, always look down, and give your side stand a kick forward for good measure, before you dismount!

Haynes

#21 ·
Sorry for your 'loss' .

My son dropped my FJR coming to a stop sign when his foot slipped on some loose gravel .

He is only 5'7' and maybe 130 lbs .
He was so apologetic , but honestly it didn't bother me at all .

Got the first drop out of the way !

He hasn't ridden it since , by his choice . He sticks to his lil' 300 Ninja .

Luckily the T Rex bars did an admirable job - no damage other than a few scrapes to the bars themselves .
A little touchup paint and good to go .

MY PROBLEM , is that I have doubts that I will be able to pick it up by myself , should that need arise . :oops:
I'm pretty sure that I'm going to drop the forks a tad and install Soupy's links - soon !

George

#54 ·
Sorry for your 'loss' .

My son dropped my FJR coming to a stop sign when his foot slipped on some loose gravel .

He is only 5'7' and maybe 130 lbs .
He was so apologetic , but honestly it didn't bother me at all .

Got the first drop out of the way !

He hasn't ridden it since , by his choice . He sticks to his lil' 300 Ninja .

Luckily the T Rex bars did an admirable job - no damage other than a few scrapes to the bars themselves .
A little touchup paint and good to go .

MY PROBLEM , is that I have doubts that I will be able to pick it up by myself , should that need arise . :oops:
I'm pretty sure that I'm going to drop the forks a tad and install Soupy's links - soon !

George
If I was much less than the 6ft, 188lbs that I am, I would be terrified of the FJR for that reason. But as it is I love er’😆

#24 ·
I just look down and find the kickstand lever each time. I switch between bikes and they are never in the same spot from bike to bike.

#27 ·
Transmission in 1st
Handle bars all the way right
Turn off ignition
Release clutch lever
Look down and deploy kickstand
Give kick stand a tap with toe to insure it's properly deployed
Hold front brake lever
Dismount
I too go from bike to bike so I always have to look where the kickstand tab is located.

#29 ·
Whoops, congrats. I got my 2021 last month. I got the T-Rex stuff on it and dropped it 2 days later. They protected everything except where a saddlebag hit an adjacent post. I rubbed out the worst of it and a little nick that remains marks the bike as mine.

#35 ·
Ugh, I am so sorry to hear that. If you are anything like me you were mad at yourself for days. I knew better, grrr. At least you had the T-Rex bars on. Imagine what would have happened without them.

#30 ·
I don't think that is the paint code.
1366 or DNMN - Liquid Graphite seems to be the actual paint code for a 2021 (and a 2020)
Paint Search (colorrite.com)

#33 · (Edited)
strange it happens, gas stations are usually horizontal ?

parking brake if you have DCT :) ...I guess with DCT there is a whole new procedure; "Set the parking brake, hit the neutral button, turn off the key"

speaking of DCT, how do you guys leave your FJR-AE "in gear" when stopped ?

#32 ·
#36 ·
If you take your Yamaha warranty card to a dealer it has the chassis number on it and they will be able to tell you what model year it is and the correct parts for the bike. Also if you look at the side wall of the tyre the date of manufacture is there in code, Google tyre codes and it will tell you how to read them and that will give you some idea of when the bike was built as the tyres will have been fairly new. My tyres were date stamped for October 2019 so when I bought it in 2020 I new that I had a bike that had not spent years sitting in a showroom with people clambering all over it.

#40 ·
Never seen it at any gas station I have ever been at. Here the fill points for the underground tanks are raised cones but no where near the pumps.

#44 ·
A buddy`s `03 HD Nightrain has the jiffy stand so it goes back a long way. Gives me a mini panic attack every time the bike rolls fwd but there's no way it's coming off that sidestand.

#58 ·
I know exactly what you're talking about. My son laughs at me every time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.