FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m currently ridding a 2001 BMW 1100RT. Love the bike, but now I can’t seem to get the FJR out of my mind. Saw it and sat on it at the motorcycle show here in Cleveland. Called a local dealer to find out that they stopped taking orders on them back in December. But he’s got me on a waiting list just in-case somebody backs out or they get a extra bike or two. Well this morning had a message to call him, but they are closed today, so I’ll have to wait till tomorrow to see what he has to say. I’m thinking that he may have a bike for me!! So here is my question, anybody here go from a RT to the FJR? If so, was it a good move? I ride around 12,000 miles a year, do two weeklong trips. One solo and one with the SO. Will she like the new ride, or miss the RT? The RT has great protection from the elements, does the FJR have the same? And for the vertically challenged, what did you do to make the bike more manageable when stopped? On the RT, I lowered it with Works Performance shocks and a Sargent “low” seat. I understand that Sargent makes a similar seat for the FJR, so that would be one of the first things I would do.
Thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
Regarding the seat height, don't forget the new FJR has an adjustable seat height!! 29" inseam & I'm flatfoot on the higher setting so its pretty low anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I came off of an RT and got on the FJR..

You are following my steps in this regard. I bought a new rt 1100 in Aug. of '00 and put 74,000 miles on it before buying the '04 FJR in Aug. of '03. The bikes are worlds apart for sport touring. My beemer was very reliable. I had it serviced by BMW about twice a year for @ $800 each time (with tires). It surged as all twin beemers do I supose and that was the first thing I noticed when I got on the FJR. Smooth as silk in shifting, low speed in traffic and giving it the gas to move out. Service wise, I had the Yamaha serviced at 12,000 miles at a cost of @ $425 and never again because it didn't need it and sold it with 54,000 miles on it in a total of 19 months. The FJR is strong! I had the ABS model and remember thinking why would I ever go back to BMW after riding this. This is my kind of riding. Sport touring. I ride 101 miles each way to work, summer winter spring and fall. I ride to New York City to see Broadway and turn around and ride home. 1836 miles in 32 hours. Go down to Key Largo on Friday, dive Saturday and sleep in my bed at home Saturday night. 667 miles each way. The FJR is perfect for this type of riding. Never a hiccup. I am now looking for another bike and came back to this forum for updates on the FJR. Do yourself a favor. Try the FJR for an hour and I believe you will never look back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used to have an R1150RT and made the switch to the FJR. I am really glad that I did, but some of your questions might have a bearing on your decision.

- I find the FJR to be about the same seat height as the RT. You have the lower sseat, so that might not be true for your comparison. Still, I am 5' 9" with a 30" inseam and do not have problems.

- I think the FJR's wind proctection is good enough, but the RT's was great

- I could ride longer distances more comfortably it seems on the RT, but I think that comes down to just the seat which I am going to remedy on the FJR

- The FJR has one heck of a strong motor, much more than the 1150RT, surely more than the 1100, and I have not ridden it yet but probably more than the new 1200RT

- There is a more extensive dealer network for Yamaha than BMW

= These are of course my thoughts and opinions, remember the old 'Your results may vary'

·
Registered
86 Posts
Big A -

I ride with my cousin who has a 1200RT and we have swapped many times. The BMW is a terrific bike but it makes me smile every time I get back on the FJR. Power & handling definitely favors the FJR. On the highway the 1200 is a bit more stable and a lot less noisy to ride due to buffeting. I can tell this is due to the windshield and is easily corrected as confirmed by other threads in this forum. Even the comparo against the new 1200GT ended with a hairsplitting call in favor of the GT that was optioned up to over $21K! The only real issue that favored the GT was that it didn't nosedive during aggressive deceleration (according to Kevin D. VERY aggressive) that can easily be resolved with $300 worth of front end attention. Also, when we filled up the FJR always had an edge in fuel consumption and didn't require 92 octane so the gas ticket was much cheaper. Add in the cost of maintenance and the FJR is a tough act to follow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts