FJR Owners Forum banner
1161 - 1170 of 1170 Posts

· Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,879 Posts
Where I heard is from an F800GT thread on ST-Owners.... so I'll just copy from a longtime owner.......

" Just stumbled on this thread. As Mellow and some others have mentioned, I do have one and love it. I have 94,000+ miles on the bike now and will turn over 100,000 by mid-summer, easily. It's been trouble-free.

At your height, I'd check out the motorcycle ergonomics web page. You can play with a lot of variables and put two tabs on the screen to compare what you currently have with your ST and what the GT will give you. There are lots of options for ergonomics, and you might even be fortunate enough to find one where someone went through the expense of modifying it for you. For instance, you can raise the handlebars and adjust them forward and back. Mine also has lowered footpegs. And there are five different OEM seats and aftermarket cushions you can add. I have a Madstad windshield...it is phenomenal.

Power is an interesting topic for me. It has less power than an ST...but also considerably less weight. I kept up with some extremely fast riders on Kawasaki C14s, a BMW K1600 and an ST1300 through Oregon and Northern California the summer before the lockdowns. Their bikes were all putting out around 150+ hp at the rear wheel. I had no problem once I decided to through caution to the wind. In fact, after about 10 am, they were easy to "reel in" because they were getting tired flinging all that weight around.

Below 4000 rpms, the bike has plenty of torque to do what you want in traffic. You're not going anywhere, so why make the engine scream like you might? Above 4500 to redline, it is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It's a totally different experience. You want a nice relaxing ride...stay in the lower portion of the rpms. You want to keep up with anyone...let the engine sing. It'll put a smile on your face.

The bike gets pooh-poohed by some reviewers. They think it is underpowered. I think they are fooled by one factor on a bike like the FJ-09 standing out, and focusing on that while forgetting the rest of the experience. The F800GT seems tame in comparison. When I took the bike out on my first long day trip, I found myself doing 90 mph in a 55 zone. I wasn't trying to speed at all. The bike just seemed so relaxed. I thought I was only doing about 60 mph. I think it is amazing that BMW was able to make a bike to meet a cost point...and make it so well.

BMW recommends replacing the belt at something like 25K. I'd recommend buying one at 25K and then keeping it on hand till you need it. I replaced the first one at 53K. It obviously can go farther. Also, with the bike being out of production now...parts that you could only buy at a dealer can be found elsewhere. The belt used to be around $525 from a dealer. I found my last belt on Amazon from Continental for about $120. It's not a shaft drive, but when I pull into a motel parking lot, I don't have to worry about lubing a chain.

The GT is the successor to the F800ST. They are not the same bike, though very similar. BMW actually listened to the owners and incorporated their suggestions to the "upgrade" The ST had some electrical issues and rear wheel bearing issues. That all seems to be fixed on the GT. I've replaced the belt twice now, tires, brake pads and fluid, and obviously oil. That's about it. It's been trouble-free...and easy for a non-mechanic like me to maintain. I've checked the valves twice (paid for that :( ) and found they haven't changed. I won't bother again. Taking the panels off, is a breeze. There's nothing hidden to break.

I do about 14-15K a year. Miles, not kilometers. I would have no problem taking the bike cross-country tomorrow morning. The only thing I'd consider first, is if I need an oil change. Otherwise...the bike has been dependable without needing to baby it. I think it is the most reliable model BMW has made.

The only difference between a 2017 model and my 2014 model, is "ride-by-wire". All the same components are there, it is only on how it is controlled. If I could get a 2017 model, I'd go for it. The basic bike is the same, and I'd buy anything from 2013 on.

If you have questions, just ask. If my current F800GT dies for some unforeseen reason...I'll buy another. "

Entire thread is here if you have access....

· Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,879 Posts
The engine is a joint BMW/Rotax design. There is a third connecting rod with a balancer to offset vibrations..... to me all parallel twins have their own vibration, you have to get over it. Even the Super Tenere feels a bit like a tractor..... smoother vibe engines are inline 4's and triples.

· Registered
617 Posts
The January issue of Rider has a good description of the new '23 Yamaha MT-10SP with the Olins suspension front and back. The price seems a bit steep at just over 17K but with the suspension set up probably not bad. Can't help but wonder if Yamaha considered this set up for the FJR. The claimed 36 mpg seems a bit low especially for the wet weight of 472 lbs but I sure wouldn't mind a short test ride and I wouldn't mind the chain drive for the simplicity factor.

· Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,879 Posts
Definitely interested in a Norden or KTM 890 Adventure one day..... I'm going to throw in the Suzuki V-Strom.... I had two Wee's, an '06 and '11, can be a decent sport tourer with some seat/windshield upgrades, however their suspensions were lacking (41mm non-adjustable forks, too much flex). Adequate power from that V-twin, it's a good engine, some installed the camshafts from the SV650 for more power. The latest Gen3 (2017 on) styling changed a bit, got upgrades, with 43mm forks, and SV650 cams. Exhaust was lowered, so better side bag choices. Still very affordable. No cruise. 467 lbs, 32.9" seat height.

The older VStrom 1000 was a blah sort with gearing too high and poor fueling..... all that was greatly improved with Gen3 also. However, the even newer 1050 might be worth a look and test ride. Has cruise. 512 lbs., 33.5" seat height.

Comparison of Versys 1000 and VStrom 1050...... IMHO the Versys is the better choice for sport touring.

· Registered
159 Posts
Here's my take on a light-weight tourer. 250-300 miles is about my limit on the FZ. Where I'm at in NM that range gives me a lot of great destination/road options.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Reactions: Donk

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,169 ·
VStrom has a large following and I'm not one of them. It's an ok bike just one I can't warm up too. Too middle of the road not great at anything for me.

· Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,879 Posts
I get that, they're an all-rounder if you're OK with the styling. It's not going to pry me off the Versys1000. There's a new 800 for 2023, parallel twin, ride by wire but no mention of cruise.... I'd take the 650 V-twin over that. Want some more juice, I'd try out the 1050 since it would vastly be an improvement over the former 1000.

1161 - 1170 of 1170 Posts