FJR Owners Forum banner
1141 - 1160 of 1170 Posts

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,143 ·
So here's an interesting twist on the original discussion of this thread. I may do an Iron Butt 48 state/10 day ride this spring. The Norden would be a fine bike to do it on but.... if I wanted to take a sport touring bike and still be lighter what bike should it be? FJR and GoldWing are made for that sort of thing but they are too heavy. BMW RT or K1600 are too BMW so they're out. So staying light what's out there other than Adventure bikes that's all day comfortable? Kind of tough once you start thinking on it. We're not talking a long afternoon on a bike here we are talking 8 back to back 1000 mile days.
Before Spectreman chimes in on the virtues of the Ninja 1000 I will listen only if he can also come up with a seat to go with it!:p

· Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,879 Posts
Nah, I wouldn't do it on a N1K, Don but a '15-18 gen Versys 1000 w/a Kaoko throttle lock, some grip puppies and a Sargent seat? Blammo- done deal.
Lee
I'd vote for that too.... except for the Sargent, I can't get one to like me. The stock seat sucks though. A Seat Concepts would be better if you're on a budget.

Reactions: spectreman

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,148 ·
I'd vote for that too.... except for the Sargent, I can't get one to like me. The stock seat sucks though. A Seat Concepts would be better if you're on a budget.
What are we budgeting pounds or dollars? I don't think I could put a 60lbs seat on a bike no matter how comfortable it is.

· Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,879 Posts
What are we budgeting pounds or dollars? I don't think I could put a 60lbs seat on a bike no matter how comfortable it is.
Dollars. You won't really notice the weight...... the Corbin is the best, but the Sargent lighter (if you like it). Seat Concepts isn't a bad seat, and it's a DIY on your existing pan.

· Registered
374 Posts
So as we get older we all want to go with a lighter bike. But the big puzzle is which one will it be. Most of the fun in that is trying different machines until we find the one that is JUST RIGHT. Hah, that rarely happens as taste and age continues to march on. This is the story of my journey. I was going to trade my FJR (627lbs) for a Versys V1000 LT SE (566lbs) because it was almost 61 pounds lighter. Wound up with the Versys and keep my FJR. The FJR still is just as heavy, maybe even more so as the years move on. On the days where I think the Big Versys is too heavy for me, I will ride my V-Strom. (472lbs). And then there are days I want to GO RIDE but I feel my 73 years of age and I will select my little X300 Versys.(381lbs). If all this fails and I really feel old and weak that day, I just say F--- it and drive my Truck. It weighs in at 4400lbs. So the point of all this verbiage is "It is fun to try and figure out which bike is the right weight for any given time.

Water Sky Wheel Tire Mountain
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Plant
Tire Sky Wheel Water Plant
Tire Water Wheel Sky Cloud
Wheel Tire Sky Automotive side marker light Vehicle

· Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,879 Posts
At the beginning of this thread, my thought was we are talking about which lighter bike can best replace the FJR..... and then, talk about spending money on making that next bike my sport tourer with hopefully 100 lbs. less..... or at least some loss of weight with a lower center of gravity. But my bias is making that next sport tourer I can go distance and twisty roads on for one/two/three week trips.... I enjoy the opinions, and certainly see Chuck's point. I've already dispensed with the FJR, and we have to admit it's a tough one to replace.

So, in creating that just right for you next sport tourer, we're gonna spend money. Very likely you'll need a seat, windshield, and a list of other changes... aux. lights, aux. fuse panel, heated gear outlets, etc. Not to mention suspension upgrades...... so the type of bike you pick has to be almost right before you commit to those dollars. Budget $2000 (admit it, you spent this on your FJR). This will narrow your choices. Do you need/want factory cruise? Riding two-up will narrow it even further........... IMHO, there are existing used bikes that fit the bill better than the new stuff on the market. A used bike will save you some money. I won't buy new, yet also in the back of my mind at my 72 year vintage is keeping whatever I chose until I wear the thing out.... I'll have to give up riding one day, what have I got, 10 years?

I also love a second lighter bike, right now have a VFR which BTW, makes a great sport tourer if you don't mind the wind in your face (windshield design). Mine is comfy all day. Also have a Fazer8 (touring version), and love the powertrain, but ergos would require an engineer to fix. Meanwhile, I have been shopping many bikes over the last couple of years, it's all boiling down to the V1K as the keeper......

Reactions: chucksklrst

· Registered
374 Posts
Meanwhile, I have been shopping many bikes over the last couple of years, it's all boiling down to the V1K as the keeper......
Agree 100% about the V1K. In my case I will be keeping the my V-Strom forever even if I make a static display for my Man cave, for very sentimental reasons. As I said before my 2014 FJR was just too hard to part with as of now. maybe tomorrow but not today. And the little bike is just because it is such a Blast in the twisties.(It is more fun to go fast on a slow bike than to go slow on a fast bike) The newer V1K is a tall bike to get on and off the center-stand. So make sure you have the inseam for it. Out of the three larger bikes I have the FJR seems to be getting less monthly mileage on it lately.

· Registered
374 Posts

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,157 ·
MT-10 is an excellent bike and in some ways would make a very doable sport tour except for the 150 mile range, at best, downhill with a tailwind. Oh wait that's an aux tank not a tailbag! Wow cool idea.

The 890 Adventure hit the sweet spot for me and the Norden is even better. They are so good that the idea of another bike sort of turns me off. I thought I would prefer something else if I do the 48/10 but have decided I will do it on the Norden or not at all. The idea of a "proper" sport tourer intrigues me but I know if I ride a N1K for a day I will quickly realize it may be different but really no better than the Norden.

Like Ray it's going to take a lot to get me off my current ride.

· Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,879 Posts
I could see myself on a Wee or a Norden..... slightly less power than I'm used to but...... as I get older, I'm not seeing that as a real obstacle... if I can convince myself to like parallel twins, lol. No doubt the Norden is decent...... I'll wait a few years for a used one, lol.

· Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,879 Posts
I'm going to throw in one I don't think we've talked about... a couple of owners in another sandbox are quite pleased with theirs..... belt drive...... BMW F800GT.

· Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,160 ·
Great minds think alike! I was thinking about the F800GT today and how no one has ever mentioned it. Only one mod needed to improve the bike, take the stinkin' rondel off the side! I've ridden a bunch of them at work and they are very good bikes. Engine is supposedly made under contract in China but I've gotten over that. They are probably the most reliable and trouble free bikes BMW makes. Could see myself using one as a winter bike next year. I think the drive belts have a shorter service life than other drive belts, something like 25,000 miles but I'm not positive about that. What forum are these guys on? Would like to read what they say about the bike.

1141 - 1160 of 1170 Posts