FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1061 - 1064 of 1064 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,061 ·
Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Automotive fuel system
Bicycle wheel rim Light Automotive lighting Tire Automotive tire

It followed me home, what can I say. 1977 R100S. It's lighter, rides like a dream, purrs down the road at 80, and is pretty comfy. Now I get why guys are so fond of their airheads. Needs some sorting and putting back together but it's all there. Going to be a good winter project. Best part is there is a guy that has a shop that only does airheads about 5 miles from my house.

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300, 2000 VFR800, 2004 V-Strom 650, 2003 VFR800, etc.
259 Posts
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

My '78. Not showing the S bikini fairing it later had. Owned 1988-91 or so.
Was southbound on Illinois 100 somewhere south of Canton on a big, flat, full-visibility left hand sweeper. I was leaned pretty far over and the clock was showing about 90 when the bike started a weave so thorough that I have no idea to this day how I recovered control.
A hinge in the middle doesn't even begin to describe it. I tended to refer to the frame as "spaghetti" from then on, but that seems generous, as the "basta" my Italian ex had prepared was somewhat stiffer.
The bike went up for sale the following day.
Yeah, it had a very nice engine texture and was pleasant to ride.
I suppose I'd be glad to get my hands on one nowadays but I sure as hell would never go near a full lean on one again.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,063 ·
Funny you should say that. I touched the front brakes and the front end dove like a submarine! Asked someone who knows airheads and his response was, "yeah that's the way they are." Any of the old stuff feels mushy to drive. Its how it was and doesn't get better with age.

1061 - 1064 of 1064 Posts