FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1041 - 1060 of 1064 Posts

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,077 Posts
I musta been sleeping, I missed the part where you actually bought it...... OK, keep riding, I'd like to hear a full review and comparisons to other "lighter ST bikes"......

·
Premium Member
2014 ES
1,605 Posts
Well I made it halfway through first tank of gas with my new Norden before I found myself on the side of the road! Gas gauge said I had half a tank and range said 170 miles but sure seemed like the bike ran out of gas. GPS said nearest gas station was .8 miles away and it's a light bike so I started pushing. Bike took less than 3 gallons of gas in a 5 gallon tank and fired right up. Did some research and found out out that with the saddle style tank there is a cross over tube with a petcock on both sides. Whoever prepped the bike at the dealer must have forgotten to open the right side so I did indeed run out of gas with half a tank left! There's always seems to be some silly little things that need to get sorted when you buy a bike, new or used. Glad to get this one out of the way. Had a nice ride after and got my exercise for the day. All joking aside I realized pretty quickly how light the bike is, it was pretty easy pushing the bike to the gas station even on the uphill parts.
Donk, how many bikes have you gone through since your first post?

Man, this thread has legs! LOL

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,045 ·
I'm fine other than bruised up and slightly bummed out but all things considered I consider myself lucky in an unlucky situation.
I suppose that's what happens when you ride a new bike, guess I need to stick with used ones!
Other than that it seems like it will make a great mid weight touring bike.

Reactions: Aroxx

·
Registered
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300
95 Posts
Lots of good recommendations listed here!

I don’t think anyone mentioned this one, but its a sport tourer with bags, 150 lbs lighter than the mighty FJR, 150 hp, smaller liter displacement, quick shift up and down, heated grips and really rips. My friend just picked one up and it looks sweet too! He’s still in the break-in period but he wasn’t holding back too much…

It’s chain driven and no center stand.

Suzuki GSXS 1000 GT

·
Registered
517 Posts
This has been discussed (by me) but only recently released in the US. I like it a lot, very similar to my former Ninja 1000. Internet/youtube reviews have been good on the Suzuki model. Like the N1K, I doubt it'll be a good 2-up bike like the FJR tho. The new Honda NT1100 is likely a better 2-up ride whereas the Suzuki and N1K are on the sportier end of the spectrum.
Lee

·
Registered
971 Posts
A friend and I, both multiple FJR owners, are doing the unthinkable. We are looking at an Adventure bike to potentially replace our FJR. Right now, high on our radar is the all new Triumph 1200. It weighs 540#s wet with the 5.3 gallon tank and 562 with the 8 gallon tank. It’s getting great reviews.

·
Registered
971 Posts
This has been discussed (by me) but only recently released in the US. I like it a lot, very similar to my former Ninja 1000. Internet/youtube reviews have been good on the Suzuki model. Like the N1K, I doubt it'll be a good 2-up bike like the FJR tho. The new Honda NT1100 is likely a better 2-up ride whereas the Suzuki and N1K are on the sportier end of the spectrum.
Lee
I agree. I’m on my second Ninja 1000. It can be used as a ST bike, but it lacks the size to strap down enough luggage for a long trip, especially if you need both hot and cold jackets and pants, as I do when we go to the Rockies in the summer. And I cannot imagine a pillion wanting to do a trip on the back of one and then you really have a luggage space shortage.

Reactions: spectreman

·
Registered
517 Posts
I agree. I’m on my second Ninja 1000. It can be used as a ST bike, but it lacks the size to strap down enough luggage for a long trip, especially if you need both hot and cold jackets and pants, as I do when we go to the Rockies in the summer. And I cannot imagine a pillion wanting to do a trip on the back of one and then you really have a luggage space shortage.

My daughter and I are both 'bulky.' I tried to make the N1K work for us but sadly, it did not. At one point, I thought that was my last bike as it suited my individual needs almost perfectly. Loved that bike but love my daughter more, ergo the purchase of the FJR. Now I'm thinking about buying another FJR- shouldn't have sold my '16, dammit.
Lee

·
Registered
110 Posts
A friend and I, both multiple FJR owners, are doing the unthinkable. We are looking at an Adventure bike to potentially replace our FJR. Right now, high on our radar is the all new Triumph 1200. It weighs 540#s wet with the 5.3 gallon tank and 562 with the 8 gallon tank. It’s getting great reviews.
Have you owned a modern Triumph before? There really isn't any comparison to the Super Tenere. The S10 is drama free and will go everywhere you could want to take it. Mine went to Alaska and every state in the US except HI. (that water thing) 160k on a FJR, then 109k+46k on a 1st and 2nd Gen S10. Most of the TRex owners I knew migrated away after a year or so of hassling with the dealer and waiting for issues to be resolved. It can't be better now with the supply issues world wide.

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
250 Posts
Lots of good recommendations listed here!

I don’t think anyone mentioned this one, but its a sport tourer with bags, 150 lbs lighter than the mighty FJR, 150 hp, smaller liter displacement, quick shift up and down, heated grips and really rips. My friend just picked one up and it looks sweet too! He’s still in the break-in period but he wasn’t holding back too much…

It’s chain driven and no center stand.

Suzuki GSXS 1000 GT

This bike caught my eye when they reviewed it in RoadRunner magazine but after a shaft drive going to a chain AND no center stand is a non-starter for me on a touring bike. Also, to me, that front end is just ugly as hell.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Have you owned a modern Triumph before? There really isn't any comparison to the Super Tenere. The S10 is drama free and will go everywhere you could want to take it. Mine went to Alaska and every state in the US except HI. (that water thing) 160k on a FJR, then 109k+46k on a 1st and 2nd Gen S10. Most of the TRex owners I knew migrated away after a year or so of hassling with the dealer and waiting for issues to be resolved. It can't be better now with the supply issues world wide.
I have not owned one but a close friend has. I also know some folks I started riding with recently who have them. Every one of them has had good experiences.

I recently looked at the specs on the Tenere. The bike does not interest me. I’m aware that Triumps have had a few issues. The same can be said about Yamaha. I wasn’t too thrilled about having my engine pulled out and opened up. Both of my FJRs have had problems that were common.

Cherry picking problems of other brands does not concern me when the same can be done with the brand we have.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,055 ·
Yeah Lee I got tackled by a deer Monday morning. Doing fine all things considered. Dealer is sorting bike he said he has no idea in the current state of world affairs if it will be 3 days or 3 months for parts. How are you making out on your search for another bike?

I'm sure the Suzuki is a decent bike in a budget sort of parts bin way. Suzuki hasn't come u with anything new, they keep rehashing their old products. And I agree the front end is a bit ugly but what do I know I ride KTMs now. Would go with the Ninja first.

I have ridden the new Triumphs not the 1200 but the 900s and they are cows. I would rather walk in fact I'd even ride a BMW 850-900 first! I admit to drinking the orange Kool-Aid and have become a big fan of their bikes but I also could make do with a Super Tenere for touring. I owned one back in 2014 and it was the most underwhelming bike I've owned but it is also the bike I would choose to ride through a nuclear wasteland. Good solid mount that one is.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Well, there goes my 'lighter is better' theory. Made a deal on low mileage '15 FJR, so that'll make 2 FJRs in my history of bike ownership. The only other time I've purchased 2 of the same model were my former ZRX1200's. I hope for the same level of good luck and pleasure out of #2 FJR.
Lee

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,057 ·
Got to ride an '18 H2 Ninja today. Wicked Cool!!!! Great engine, great chassis really an exceptional bike. It's much bigger than I realized before riding it. Halfway between a Ninja 1000 and a ZX-14. Has great weather protection a comfortable riding position and cruise. Don't know about heated grips? I always took the H2 as "Ya what's the point, so what its supercharged" but its really a good bike. Not sure its any fun to be a passenger on so Lee don't get any ideas!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Nah- if I said it before, I'll say it again, Don. This 'new to me' 15FJR is my last bike. I mean it. Really...

But man oh man, I'm really digging the new Suzuki GSX S1000GT+ and didya hear Kawi is about to release an updated Ninja 1000? Huh, huh, huh?
Lee

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,059 ·
I'm not in the market for a bike but man that H2 chassis and suspension were pretty good for a stock bike from Japan! I like that it's a little bigger than the Ninja 1000.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,060 ·
Finally got my Norden back from being fixed after the deer tackled me. Boy its nice to have it back. I cannot imagine I'll keep the 1290 around too long now. Great bike but I like the 890 and 901better. If I'm going to have 3 bikes which I really never intended nor do I really want I really would like to have something other than 3 Adventure bikes. All good but too much of a good thing or too much of the same thing.

1041 - 1060 of 1064 Posts