FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
821 - 840 of 878 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Once upon a time we all laughed at Japanese bikes, Kias and Hyundai’s were the bottom of the barrel. Who knows where it’s all going? It doesn’t look like a bad stab at it for starters. Not saying I’m buying one but the bike may have potential. What happens when they get it right?
Agreed. And CF Moto has been around for awhile too. I have one of their scooters which is now 12 years old and it's still going. Fit and finish is crap and there's some silly design features to it (actually that would be a lack of design) but they've put out a lot of product since.

·
Registered
425 Posts
No, no and no to any and all Chinese bikes, thank you very much. Bad enough so much of our consumer good and pharmaceuticals come from those commie rats bastages already. I surely will NEVER buy a motorcycle from them. And yeah, spare me the argument about how much outsourcing already is done by China, especially in aftermarket parts, helmets, etc. If/when I can knowingly avoid it, I do not buy commie made stuff.

Ok, off that rant.

Don- here's one for you; soon as I saw it I thought of you. These were pretty solid bikes, as I recall.
Lee

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #823 ·
Lee, the ‘13 KTM 990SMT is one of the best bikes ever. Unbelievable engine, chassis and suspension. I sold mine this spring when prices got so crazy with the hope/belief that the 890 would be as good with added features like cruise and heated grips. I got lucky the 890 is not just as good but better.

On another note looks like the FJR will be around for another year. It’s confirmed as a ‘22 for the USA. Looks to be exactly the same as the ‘21. Would like to see the production date on them!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #825 ·
MT10 SP is coming to USA for 2022! That is one wicked cool motorcycle!! Still missing heated grips but otherwise a really well sorted bike. No I’m not buying one but it is as the name says, Special.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,769 Posts
Good one, thanks. Very similar sentiments I arrived at from other reviews, similar sentiment from a ride I had on a DCT... get the manual.
It's not being launched here.... looks like Europe will get it for 2022, but not us, or if so, later in the year?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't know, Don. Haven't seen anything on a US release yet. Lots of negative nannies complaining about a lack of shaft drive and calling it an old man's bike but I could one day see this bike in my garage! It has all the necessary baubles and whistles and every report talks about rider comfort. And the MSRP is pretty reasonable too so I expect this will be a huge win for Honda. I'd take one of these over the T9GT any day!
Lee

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #829 · (Edited)
I like the new parallel twin engines. Good looking bike with just the right amount of fairing. For comparison the Super Tenere is one of the most underwhelming bikes I’ve ever ridden yet a truly enjoyable ride and one that I would take over most others. Maybe Honda’s on to something.

I watched the video again this morning and now that I’m more awake some details sunk in. The bike is putting out less hp than my 890 and weighs 10% more. That’s the wrong direction for me. Also he mentioned buffeting as worse than the Ninja or Suzuki which is interesting as the Honda seems to have a big adjustment range in the windshield. I agree that it’s probably a very nice bike but it’s also possible Honda has taken a little bit too much fun out of the formula. Guess time will tell. I’m waiting for the Husqvarna Norden 901 which is supposed to be my 890 with a (better) fairing and more wind protection. The 890 is already a proven winner in my book. So much so that I’m starting so sound like Lee when he talks about his Kawasakis😄. Is that what they mean by Nirvana?

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,769 Posts
I wasn't worried about the windshield, usually aftermarket shields appear relatively soon after launch..... the rest of it, well, maybe a little too tame, suspension a little too soft.
I'd love a ride on an 890, they're a bit scarce right now and too expensive..... meanwhile, tweaking the V1K.

Reactions: Donk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm hoping NT1100 can replace both Honda Integra 750 (Cousin of NC 750 in scooter form) and FJR. FJR is too heavy and the mirrors sticks out too wide for me to filter thru cars in the city. Often I have to zig zag between stopped cars in order to creep up closer to the red signal light here in Seoul, Korea. When I looked at the handlebars of both NC750 & NT1100 it looks about the same width and the mirrors don't stick out past the handlebars, whereas FJR mirrors sticks out farther than the handlebars and doesn't fold backwards fully.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #832 ·
Ray we can plan a meet up once the snow melts and you can ride my 890. As long as you promise I get it back! Do a RTE to somewhere in the middle.

·
Registered
824 Posts
MT10 SP is coming to USA for 2022! That is one wicked cool motorcycle!! Still missing heated grips but otherwise a really well sorted bike. No I’m not buying one but it is as the name says, Special.
I like the bike, but poor gas mileage and a small tank are a big negative for me. My Njnja 1000Sx or new Suzuki 1000 GT are bettter options at similar money. Too bad, because there are thingsI like about the MT-10. But a 100 mile range is not acceptable.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
5 months and over 7000 miles into my NC 750X DCT and I am really enjoying the light weight and the DCT trans.

What I really miss about my FJR is the power, the wind protection, the cruise control and the heated grips. All things the NT 1100 would address.

Of course then I would again have more weight, but only maybe 50 pounds, 25 if I went back to a manual trans model.

Do I really need it, or just want it?

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,769 Posts
Ray we can plan a meet up once the snow melts and you can ride my 890. As long as you promise I get it back! Do a RTE to somewhere in the middle.
I certainly appreciate that, I think I better just keep that a dream.... they are more money than I want to spend, and I've already established a direction with the V1K that I'm happy with... working on a couple of mods over the winter, taking a big trip next year...
If a local opportunity with an 890 comes along here, then I might... we shall see.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #836 ·
The offer stands. V1K with some tweaking should be great. I’m going riding this morning with a friend that just got one a month or two ago. I think it’s an’18? He said it’s the year before they had cruise. He sold an FJ-09 to get the V1K. He only kept the FJ-09 6 months or so was not impressed with it. He had an FJR prior to that for a few years.
Mind sharing your planned tweaks to the bike?

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,769 Posts
Never know when I'm gonna get out your way, I'll be sure to look you up... kool just to hang out, don't need no test ride, lol... thank you.

The suspension needs help..... no compression damping adjustments in the forks, forks have 6" of travel, can adjust preload and rebound. Dives when you put the brakes on, needs compression damping.... fork springs alledgedly have 1.0 spring rate so should be OK for 200 lb. guys, initially I dialed that right in. After playing and testing, I changed the fork oil from 5W to 10W to get compression damping. Preload backed out 1/3, rebound needed to be dialed right in to two clicks out. Currently, best I can get is preload dialed right in, rebound about 3-4 clicks out. It's a compromise that works, but need better springs next, some have installed Hyperpro (they don't tell you spring rates). Should just bite the bullet and get Andreani cartridges and be done with it.

I did also right away raise the forks in the triple about 1/2", which improved the handling, not that it was awful. Bike feels a little tall on the rear. Lowering kits tend to be 38mm drop, and I don't want to go that far... Somebody made a 20mm set, and I will get those next month. The rear shock has a lot of preload adjustment range, so I'm sitting at 12-14 clicks in... it's a 650 lb. spring, should be an 800-850. Rebound adjuster only, the OEM recommendation of one turn out works. There are rear shocks available with adjustable ride height and compression/rebound damping.... may not have to go there, may try a stronger spring.

Givi windshield works perfectly for me. Corbin seat is the best one for this bike. Saddlebags a little odd shape, but I only complain when I try to get my laptop in there on a trip, should think about putting it in the top box instead. The bike overall is a bike that instantly fit and was comfortable without a lot of mods. Yes 2019-up got new tupperware/windshield design and cruise.... 2020-1 got optional ES suspension, but I'm not an ES fan. I have a throttle lock cruise for the occasional time I use it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
5 months and over 7000 miles into my NC 750X DCT and I am really enjoying the light weight and the DCT trans.

What I really miss about my FJR is the power, the wind protection, the cruise control and the heated grips. All things the NT 1100 would address.

Of course then I would again have more weight, but only maybe 50 pounds, 25 if I went back to a manual trans model.

Do I really need it, or just want it?
How much of what we buy in life do we really need? I would wager if you could get your hands on the NT1100 you would be happier. You prefer liter bikes from your previous posts and you appreciate the things it could offer such as better wind protection. If you can add cruise, heated grips and a DCT, what’s not to need?
:devilish:

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
How much of what we buy in life do we really need? I would wager if you could get your hands on the NT1100 you would be happier. You prefer liter bikes from your previous posts and you appreciate the things it could offer such as better wind protection. If you can add cruise, heated grips and a DCT, what’s not to need?
:devilish:
Ok. Quit making sense, seeing as how it could cost me quite a few thousand dollars

821 - 840 of 878 Posts