FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
701 - 720 of 759 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Spectreman, that photo deserves another: an earlier take on the same thing.
Dang, but if that isn't a Madstad adaptation, too.

• Wow
Reactions: Fringe_Remnant

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,316 Posts
The Palmer bracket looks good too....... I prefer a bike with a bit of a windshield.
Every time you guys mention a bike, I take a quick look at local ads.... oldest Z900 is 2017, except for a 1973 900Z for C$22,000, and there's a guy looking for the old 500 or 750 triple (I call them the widow-maker). The Katooms just make my wallet hurt, lol.

Reactions: Fringe_Remnant

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #704 ·
Lee, the Z900RS is a nice bike. Not knocking it in the least. Your preference for Kawis and mine for KTM is like saying you prefer chocolate and I like vanilla nothing more. It’s what makes bikes fun and has really made this thread enjoyable. Like Ray and Cherryriver I have a couple dollars that I rather invest in 2 or 3 used bikes than invest in 1 new bike. I bought 1 new bike once the ‘16 BMW R1200RS because it came out when I turned 60 and had just survived my first round of cancer treatment. That bike and buying new were a big mistake and one I prefer not to make again. Lost a bunch of money and the bike was a nightmare. My wife pays little attention to me and less to what bikes are in the garage so that is never a worry.
The KTM 890 Adventure is the only bike I own right now because even used if you call 600 miles used I traded all my bike money for it. It’s a keeper, checks all the right boxes and I’m having a blast on it. If the CalSci windshield doesn’t work out I may even try a Madstad on it!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #705 ·
Ray you’re not alone bike prices are nuts and used KTM prices have gotten scary!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Lee, the Z900RS is a nice bike. Not knocking it in the least. Your preference for Kawis and mine for KTM is like saying you prefer chocolate and I like vanilla nothing more. It’s what makes bikes fun and has really made this thread enjoyable. Like Ray and Cherryriver I have a couple dollars that I rather invest in 2 or 3 used bikes than invest in 1 new bike. I bought 1 new bike once the ‘16 BMW R1200RS because it came out when I turned 60 and had just survived my first round of cancer treatment. That bike and buying new were a big mistake and one I prefer not to make again. Lost a bunch of money and the bike was a nightmare. My wife pays little attention to me and less to what bikes are in the garage so that is never a worry.
The KTM 890 Adventure is the only bike I own right now because even used if you call 600 miles used I traded all my bike money for it. It’s a keeper, checks all the right boxes and I’m having a blast on it. If the CalSci windshield doesn’t work out I may even try a Madstad on it!

No doubt, Don- different strokes for different folks. I've no idea why I fell for Kawi's- I just did & it's been my bike of choice for decades, go figger.

As for buying new, I think my last 'new' bike was my '94 GPZ1100! I prefer to buy used as buying new is for suckers! Even my '21 Z900RS I found used. Bike only had about 1200 miles on it but I lucked out in finding it.
Lee

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
To get down to 500-ish lbs., you'll have to go with smaller displacement in most cases. But what you'll find is 100 hp and 500 lbs. is just as fast and a bit more fun. Too bad you can't get a CBF1000 as it was never imported into the US. I'm currently riding that and it's a blast... not missing my FJR all that much.
Try the Tracer GT, got the cruise and good suspension.... a little taller, but you can work with that.... I think it's got lots of room to lower it an inch (there is a factory kit). Uses FJR bags if you like, fit right on. It's still on my radar.
Here's a CBF1000 for sale in Ontario Ray.. vinyl wrapped, farkles everywhere including the seat.... 2009 Honda CBF1000 - Brantford

·
Registered
228 Posts
I neglected to add one more point that's become important to me: light clutch pull.
My left hand, especially the thumb main joint, just isn't what it used to be. The heavy control efforts of the FJR and specifically the clutch pull, are becoming an issue as the "70" comes roaring at me.
I have no idea why the left hand would go first, since I'm right handed, but forty years in the trades and grabbing, pulling, smashing, and just plain grasping all kinds of tools, equipment, and building materials has taken a toll.
The current model Kawasakis excel in regards to light control inputs. Indeed, my wife is dispensing with her SV650S in favor of the Ninja 400 (for the time being) almost entirely on the basis of control weight. She's been a chef for more than 30 years, on top of extensive sports use (she was a sponsored USPSA competitor and threw 30,000 rounds of match .40 downrange every year) and those highly active hands of hers have likewise begun to protest mightily.
In fact, there's a 2022 Ninja 650 KRT about to arrive here in town with her name on it to replace the 400 and give her a bit longer range.
The Ninja 1000 clutch pull is like a day off compared to the FJR and VFR800F, and there are mornings that factor really matters.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,255 Posts
Supposedly swapping to the 2016+ slipper clutch cuts the clutch pull way down. About $350 worth of parts. It's on my list for this winter.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Oldjeep, by that do you mean the FJR's clutch?
That would be a thing.
A couple years ago I found an auto clutch for the FJR from a company that mostly focused on Harleys with their systems. Having experienced the superb Rekluse Radius-X auto clutch in my wife's bike, I actually grabbed a beater V-Strom 650 with the intent of actually installing one in it. These make traffic much easier to cope with: you leave the bike in second gear and operate the throttle as if you were riding a scooter, at least up to 30mph or so when you have to declutch to get to third (apart from any clutchless shifting or quickshifter).
Years ago, before I had my second-gen FJR, I rode an '07 AE and really didn't cotton to it. I wonder how I'd feel about it nowadays.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,255 Posts
Yes, the fjr clutch.

·
Premium Member
9,316 Posts
Cherryriver, The Ninja 1000 likely the same clutch in my Versys 1000, its a slipper and cable operated.... nice N light as you say, quite effortless.

Pic for Fringe...... this is my CBF1000, currently for sale.... replaced by said Versys 1000. The CBF1000 was never sold in the US.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #713 ·
Ray what’s with the basketball hoop on the back of the Honda?

·
Premium Member
9,316 Posts
That's a Givi rack..... similar to the SR357 for FJR's... put any plate and top box on it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #715 ·
I realized something today. What bike appeals to you depends on what your goals in ownership are. For me I like to buy a bike for a price that I can ride for a while and get out whole. Doesn’t matter if I have 3 $4000 bikes or 1 $7500 bike and a $3500 bike or just 1 $12,000 that’s my comfort zone. Have the opportunity to buy a ‘20 Super Adventure for under $15,000 but I’m not comfortable spending that kind of money. That’s just me. Some people enjoy buying new and in theory hassle free ownership. That’s great too. My friend has 2 $40,000 Ducatis a 1299 Final Edition and a V4 Special Edition. He just a working class guy, works hard and loves his bikes. Best part is he rides the heck out of them. That works for him. So whether you go lighter with a $3500 Gen1 FZ1 or with a $15,000 Tracer9 or a $24,000 BMW doesn’t matter as long as it works for you and makes you happy.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
That's an impeccable copy Ray. I should come down and see it before I move out of Toronto, further away from you.
Also "My friend has 2 $40,000 Ducatis a 1299 Final Edition and a V4 Special Edition. He just a working class guy, works hard and loves his bikes. Best part is he rides the heck out of them. That works for him." R E S P E C T
I recently had a nice ride down into Brantford area via the contry roads off the 401 just past Cambridge.... some nice twisty country ramblings along the river...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #717 ·
Interesting day at the shop today. I ended up riding a KTM 790 Adventure, a BMW R1250GS and a Triumph Explorer back to back. Now I will admit a partiality to the KTM and it didn’t disappoint but I was surprised at how unimpressive the new BMW was and how impressive the Triumph was. If I was looking for a big Adv Touring bike(I am NOT) I would seriously consider the Explorer and certainly take it over the BMW for long distance road work. They both only have a 20L tank and that limits their range to under 200 miles so that’s equally disappointing on both bikes. Neither falls into the “going lighter” category so I’m not pursuing either it was just interesting to ride them back to back.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Cherryriver, The Ninja 1000 likely the same clutch in my Versys 1000, its a slipper and cable operated.... nice N light as you say, quite effortless.

Pic for Fringe...... this is my CBF1000, currently for sale.... replaced by said Versys 1000. The CBF1000 was never sold in the US.

View attachment 81158
That's a beautiful bike, Ray!

How long/many miles did you own it - and why are you selling?

Reminds me of a Honda refined version of my Bandit.
Would definitely have been on my shopping list if they had been produced here.

·
Premium Member
9,316 Posts
The CBF has a big following in Britain and Europe, and didn't get a lot of press here because it wasn't sold in the US. It's the Fireblade 1000 somewhat de-tuned. Very underrated bike if you ask me, smooth as silk, goes where you point it.... Rode it for 3 years. However, the minute I sat on a V1K, the little extra legroom and instant handlebar comfort plus another 20 horses.... doesn't get much better.
Going on couple of longer trips here in September for the longer term impressions.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #720 ·
Well I’m back from a 4 day 2400 mile trip to New England and back on the 890 Adventure. One day was a non riding day so it was only three days on the bike. Rode secondary roads when I could but did more slab than I would have liked, had a bit of a time crunch. The 890 was great it’s only shortcoming was it’s a bit breezy at 80 on the slab but it more than makes up for it everywhere else. I’d say it’s about equal to a GS for wind protection which isn’t bad it’s just not an FJR. The OEM KTM panniers are the same ones they use on the 1290 so I felt they were a bit too big for the bike and running into a good headwind my mileage dropped from 50 to 46mpg. They’re really nice although look too big on the bike too. The 890 has more than enough power everywhere and the bike is rock stable. Spent 1 afternoon crossing Indiana elbow to elbow with semis and construction and you couldn’t ask for a better bike in that mess. The bike does what I wanted, encourages me to find the great backroads yet can still do slab when it has to. This one’s a keeper for sure. Yes Lee I really said that.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

701 - 720 of 759 Posts