FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
681 - 700 of 759 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
My plan for the Beetle Bags is to pull and store them. I am not seeing Ebay sales of them going particularly high for VFRs.
My wife, with her strong artist streak (she's a chef and food artist- she gets paid actual money to do sculptures) is enchanted by them and I fear repercussions if I replace them with ugly Givi E36s or something.
I see the VFR as a complement to the FJR, but not quite a replacement. If I was about to slog down to New Orleans this weekend from here in Chicago, where the summer weather is exactly the same, it would be FJR for sure. Still a fabulous bike, even if it's outgrowing me.

Incidentally, I took your advice and grabbed some short 2x4 sticks and put them in the freezer on top of the ice. I await the results.

Edited to add: this is an earlier picture during my ownership: the pipe handlebar conversion was in place, as were the Heli Multi-Tour Sport handlebars, but I was still waiting for longer throttle cables from Motion Pro and so there was some further adjustment to accommodate my dinked-up neckbones. Also see that the Throttlemeisters hadn't been installed yet.
I can also say that getting the new Givi topcase rack to cooperate with the Beetle Bags took a fair amount of bend-and-try plus a little hammering. But it's been like that in the four thousand miles since, so it must be okay.
Old carpenter, you know, hammers are the solution to many a problem.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,316 Posts
She's a thing of beauty, mine is not that pretty. The Beetle Bags are da bomb... I do wood too, lol. Gotcha!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #684 ·
After a measly 2000 miles in 2 months I’m pretty happy with the 890 Adventure. Bike seems to do everything well and is a hoot to ride. I need to find some time to get sorted for a week on the road with it. After a road trip I think I’ll be all in on the bike. Even though I did a trip on the 790 I’ll feel better after I hang some bags off the 890 and spend a day running into a stiff wind.
The hard part in the going lighter formula is maintaining a decent or better power to weight ratio or that all important grunt. Coming off an FJR we are used to mountains of effortless torque in an easy revving motor. Even though the 890 has a better power to weight ratio the motor needs to spin faster. It’s fine to cruise along at 4000rpm but the fun starts a 5000rpm. I will honestly admit I’m having a bit of a hard time getting used to it. Don’t get me wrong the bike is a blast I just miss the big bow wave of torque that bikes like the FJR and the 1290 Super Adventure have. I don’t miss the weight or climbing on and off a tall Adventure bike.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Stumbled on what looks to be a Kawi Z1000SX, and getting a little confusing... Z1000 is more of a street fighter style, Ninja 1000 I thought to be more of a sporty style, but the Z1000SX is alledgedly a sport touring bike.....
Looks kinda interesting to me. Poor web pic conversion, so I'll link to the ads. Am I confused or are they all the same darn thing, just different years?

Here more like what I thought a Ninja 1000 was.
I’m confused just reading your post. The Ninja 1000 is the same bike as the 1000SX. It’s always been called an SX in Europe without the Ninja name. Until the upgrades in 2020 it was just called the Ninja1000 in the U.S. In 2020 they named it Ninja1000 SX in the U.S.

I’ve owned a 2011 and now a 2020. It’s the same bike with upgrades along the way

·
Registered
775 Posts
I moved from the FJR platform about 2 1/2 tears ago to a R1200RS. Just recently I sold the RS and am back on another red Yamaha! 2017 FZ-09. I'm having fun with this one!
What did you like and not like about the 1200RS? Have you ridden a 1250 RS?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #687 ·
I had a ‘16 RS and really wanted to like it but couldn’t. It was plagued by a bad shifting tranny and quick shifter that only worked sometimes neither of which BMW had any interest in fixing. Dash is terrible, the stock windshield is good for creating turbulence. Bike handled well and was easy. The bad outweighed the good and I eventually bailed on it.
Recently I’ve been riding a ‘13 R1200R with a Vstream windshield. It is the last generation oil cooled bike and has the telelever front end. Delightful combination of solid on the road and flickable. I had the fuel flange recall done that started a series of fuel leaks and after 5 trips to the BMW dealer I’m loosing faith in the bike. A fuel leak is just not the kind of thing I want to have to deal with on the side of the road 500 miles from home. Shame because it’s a good bike. What really scares me is if the fuel leak gets resolved what happens when the sending unit for the gas gauge fails( BMW’s notorious for these failing) and the whole thing gets taken apart again?
I’ve tried to like BMWs but I don’t have the best luck with them. In addition the little intricacies that they have really start to bug me over time where on some bikes like the FJR their intricacies seem to fade into the background.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I was thinking the other day about what I would buy if the FJR goes away. There are almost no true sport touring bikes other than the FJR and the BMWs. I’ve owned two 1600s. Don’t want to spend that much money again, and would like to go lighter.

The RT is an obvious choice, but the RS is a lot lighter. I got to looking at the specs. The only negative I noticed is the gas tank a bit smaller than I’d like for touring. Wind protection would not be as good, but I can deal with that.

BTW, I know the Concours is still out there. I’ve had one. It has not kept up.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Even as a long-time Kawi guy, I never would've picked the Concours over the FJR if, for no other reason, the lack of cruise control. Throw in the extra weight and uh, nope- not gonna happen.

Elsewhere from Japan, there's still the Kawasaki Ninja 1000SE, the Versys 1000 & Tracer 900/9 GT for consideration in the lightweight class. The Euro folks still have offerings from BMW like the R1250RS, Ducati has its share and now even Triumph appears to be getting in the mix w/their new 660 Tiger ST forthcoming- now there's a lightweight ST!
Lee

·
Registered
158 Posts
What did you like and not like about the 1200RS? Have you ridden a 1250 RS?
I was very happy with the RS and had no mechanical issues unlike some others on this site have had. Unfortunately a failing local dealership and realizing my mission statement had evolved from touring to shorter, sportier rides led me to this new "hooligan". I've got a great selection of roads/rides within about a 200 mi. range. Perfect for me and the FZ-09.

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #691 ·
Let’s not forget the Super Duke GT as a lighter sport tourer and the Super Adventures if you have the inseam for it.
Lee I bet my 890 Adventure weight about the same as the Triumph, makes way more power and has all first class components.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Let’s not forget the Super Duke GT as a lighter sport tourer and the Super Adventures if you have the inseam for it.
Lee I bet my 890 Adventure weight about the same as the Triumph, makes way more power and has all first class components.

My problem is I generally don't trust the Euro-bikes, w/the exception of Triumph. It's a long-held bias so I'll likely ride Japanese until I don't ride anymore.
Lee

·
Registered
775 Posts
I had one. Put 33,000 miles on it in two years. Traded it for my 2020 Ninja 1000SX. I liked the SD GT, but the Ninja 1000 is a LOT cheaper and I like it just as much.

Reactions: FJRChuck

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #694 ·
I’ve been riding a ‘17 Super Duke GT that we have at work the last couple days. It’s a really nice bike and ticks a lot of the right boxes but somehow it doesn’t inspire me to head out long distance on it.
I wish I liked the Ninja 1000 but that mid range motor buzz and an ineffective windshield make it hard to like. Doesn’t help that with the exception of the ZX10-R I don’t care for Kawasaki steering, very truck like.
Those are 2 bikes that I wished I loved that somehow come up short. The Ninja 1000 always seemed like a strong candidate. I really thought I might end up with one of them when the search started. The 890 Adventure isn’t perfect, it’s more Adventure than I thought I’d end up with but so far it’s doing everything I want and I’m enjoying it. I think as some of us get older we have less patience for the issues and maintenance costs that come with owning certain bikes.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I may have to politely disagree about the Ninja 1000 here, although first admitting to being a Kawasaki-preference rider since my first K in 1977.
I got to ride a Ninja 1000 at the IMS show in Chicagoland, finally, after resisting for several years because I knew what the result would be.
The factory demo bike I rode had 5000 miles on it. It was very smooth up to 6000rpm, where a mild buzz began. Frankly, I was surprised at how smooth it was. I envisioned, should I come to own one, that a bit of handlebar fooling could reduce was was left.
Not having ridden the KTM, I can't honestly compare.
As to the windshield, there's hardly a bike on sale that doesn't need a windshield upgrade, in my book. My FJR came with a "Touring" screen, which I junked almost immediately in favor of the far superior Rifle.
Madstad Engineering always gets our first look when we approach a new bike. My wife is about to go to a 2022 Ninja 650 as soon as it arrives at the dealer, and already we've contacted Madstad. They don't have the '19+ series 650's system done yet, but it's on the "notify" list.
The Madstad systems for the Ninja 1000 do exist and are superb in function. They will cut any height desired, but the big deal is the engineering, and how the wind flow is managed. The Madstad in the garage at the moment, on my beater V-Strom 650, is at least our third if not fourth, all of them providing the best non-turbulent ride with very considerable adjustability for the changing seasons.
If I was to be going to ride to say, Colorado or New Hampshire, or expect to keep the bike for my usual 40-100,000 miles, I would be much more confident in a Kawasaki than a KTM; not just overall quality but dealer and parts support. It is true that here in our particular location southwest of Chicago, there's a very good KTM dealer at hand and Kawasaki is weak in this market area, but across the country, you will likely fare better with a Kawasaki than a KTM when things go awry.
Why have I been so reluctant to ride the 1000? Because I knew the urge to sell all my bikes to get one would be very strong, and what with economic conditions here, they'd all have to go.
I am, here late in my riding career, more inclined to have several less-expensive bikes to fool around with that one single overall bike.
Yeah, but that N1K telepathic, read-my-mind ride was even better than I'd hoped. I was like being right at home. Sigh.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,316 Posts
I'm always interested in everyone's comments, I too would rather have a couple of less expensive bikes for different purposes.... I don't buy new bikes any more, just why? My bias, can I go for a two-three week trip and be close to an FJR comfort level or perhaps have better ergos such as knee angle, etc. I don't think I could do an N1K. I hardly had to touch my V1K, but it is a larger bike.
Madstad stuff is great, even if you just get their bracket and install a different windshield. The key is the larger amount of airflow under the windshield, then the angle to suit. They just plain work... function over appearance as always it seems.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ray, you'll notice I carefully avoided discussing the Madstad system's appearance...

Reactions: Donk and RaYzerman

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #699 ·
I had a Madstad on my Tiger 1050 and while it did reduce turbulence it also caused the windshield to act like a wing. Get the bike in the dirty air behind a semi and it moved all over the place. Never did it without the Madstad before or after. A company in the UK, Palmer Products made a similar screen and bracket for the Tiger 1050 that performed much better. I just ordered a CalSci windshield for the 890 as I liked the one on an FJ-09 that I rode. Windshields results are unique to the person using it.
I would not hesitate to take a KTM anywhere I would take any other bike or put the same kind of miles on it. While there may be less dealers in general they are all qualified to work on the bike. My friend had a check engine light on his GoldWing while traveling the Rockies. Took him 3 days and several hundred miles to find a Honda dealer that worked on bikes! Most of today’s bikes are pretty good, unlikely somethings going to pop up and leave you stranded. I know I’d take the 890 any distance without a second thought.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Don-
I'd get another N1K in a heartbeat and not look back, especially the current gen w/cruise control. Throw on a different windscreen, like the National Cycle V-Stream model, a set of Murph's handlebar risers and a modded seat, and BLAMMO- take off. I loved my '11, but I'm sure I'd love the '20+ even more. Not in my future tho. Unlike you, I can't change my ride at a whim- not worth dealing w/the grief my wife would give me. Still loving my '21 Z900RS and having fun modding her to be my lightweight ST.

681 - 700 of 759 Posts