FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

541 - 560 of 566 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #541
Got to put some miles on the R this afternoon and I’m smitten. Light and solid are a tough combination to beat. Did I mention it’s not lacking go and handles great too.

Telelever is different. Certainly a good and proven set up but personally I don’t know that it’s any better than a good set of Olins.

Reactions: RC65

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I really didn't notice any difference between the telelever and a conventional telescoping front end on the R1200R I rented for 9 days. Even though we weren't hauling the mail around turns for the most part because it was a group tour, we were in some pretty technical stuff in the Alps and Black Forest.

Reactions: Donk

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #543
Have a standard height seat coming and the V Stream windshield arrived today. Hope to get it installed for the weekend. The R is proving to be a very special bike. I am adjusting if that’s the right word to the telelever front end and find myself riding harder into corners than usual. Maybe I’m having too much fun with the new bike or maybe the bike is too easy?

the Ferret’s assessment of the FJ-09 proved to be very correct. Nice bike, amusing in small doses but leaves you wanting more. Fine by itself but next to the R (and FJR but we knew that) it’s lacking. I suppose the price difference when new justifies it but used the R and FJ-09 are about the same money. If one were to keep the FJ-09 it would require a serious investment in upgrades. Not worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've been riding my Tiger 900 GT low for about 1,200 miles so far. I do like the motorcycle, but I have to do something with the seat! It is hard and narrow. I bought the "comfort" seat to replace the "low" seat. It may be a little better but not there yet. Sargent is coming out with a replacement seat for the Tiger but it's not ready till next month. I do like the power and torque of the 900, and the light weight. However the Tiger is NO replacement for the FJR. I found myself wanting to ride the FJR more than the Tiger. Maybe after I get this seat thing figured out I'll want to ride the Tiger more. The Tiger could be a touring bike, but not while I have a
FJR sitting next to it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #545
I think the Tiger falls in the same category as the FJ-09, a perfectly adequate bike built to a price point and designed to appeal to as broad a customer group as possible. The FJR is a dedicated sport tourer and if that’s what you want it does it well.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hey Donk, just read Ducati is recalling V4 Multistradas. They are replacing engines due to some valve issue.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I finally got to test-sit a '20 Tracer 900 GT today. The multi-brand dealership (Indian, BMW, Ducati, Yamaha) I went to was stocked w/bikes, a surprise in itself, and had one T900GT on the floor.

One of my complaints w/this bike is & has been its appearance. It is one fugly bike. Yes, yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and perhaps it would grow on me, but...

On the '19 model, the 4 color combo only exascerbated its fugliness; on the '20, colors have been reduced to 3 so its not as bad but still, all those weird angles/planes, all the plumbing hanging out there. Honestly, I'm not sure what Yamaha was going for w/its styling. It just looks unfinished.

The bike sits tall- too tall for me. W/less than a 30" inseam, I couldn't get close to flatfooting it but I'm guessing I could learn to adapt. The OE seat is hard and sharp edged- as bad as any Kawi seat I've ever sat on & that's saying something cuz Kawi's seats are the worst.

It's lighter than the FJR but obviously lacks the level of wind protection the FJR's fairing offers. Why didn't Yamaha just design the damn bike to be the FJR's little brother & mimic its styling & attributes?

Honestly, as much as I want to like this bike, I just don't think I can & would prefer my FJR- even with its excessive avoirdupois- over the T900GT. Too much goodness wrapped up in that 650 lb. body to trade for the T900GT.

So back to considering the current gen Ninja 1000 again, as well as the Z900RS.
Lee

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,084 Posts
I have still to see one in person..... the older Tracer GT looked better to me. Seat was even higher on it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
As soon as they have been around long enough to pick one up for 5k, a tracer is on my list. Ugly, somewhat but has everything needed to make it a comfortable grocery getter.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Went to see a barely used '19 Ninja 1000 today- beautiful condition (altho it's primarily black- arrgghhh), completely stock, w/less than 1k on the odo, very nice owner too & practically around the corner from my house. His asking price is reasonable. As I sat there on the bike, my mind immediately returned to my former, nicely modded '11 N1K, the familiarity between the 2 bikes, and all the mods I did to my last N1K to make it more comfy & practical. This bike would require virtually all the same again. Liked the new dash too but didn't take it out for a spin to see what the new IMU was all about. I'm not a huge fan of all that electronic frippery so I'd likely set it & forget it anyway.

And even though the seats have been upgraded from my former '11 (different foam, density and shape), there's still the ridiculous slant forward. Just as importantly, I'm not sure I see the improved passenger space/comfort even tho Kawi claims to have made the seat bigger and more comfortable for the passenger. The current owner says his wife has ridden back there but I'm looking at it and thinking, "no way is my daughter gonna ever fit back there."

In spite of this and the lack of cruise control, I still could see another N1K in my future, tho...The mere fact that it's 150 lbs. lighter, and immediately noticeable, is almost enough to win me over. I swear I almost busted a gut moving the FJR around in the garage today.

Oh well, not making any decisions until after the trans recall gets taken care of next week. Then we'll really see where I'm going bike-wise.
Lee

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #551
Ducati has issued a do not ride recall on all new V-4 Multistradas. As I hear it there’s a bad batch of valve guides and Ducati has decided to replace the entire motor. Keep in mind everything bolts onto the motor on a Ducati, front frame, rear subframe, swing arm, abs pump everything. Remove the motor and all that’s left are bits and pieces. Makes a second gear recall look minor.

I wanted to love the FJ-09, tried to love it, and it’s a fun bike but it comes up short. Riding it you can tell it’s built to a price point and designed to be good at everything great at nothing. Plus you have to climb up on it.

With the medium V Stream windshield installed I’m thrilled with the R1200R. Just enjoying the heck out of the R1200R. Everything I want in a bike plus a civilized seat height. Really working out well.

·
Registered
340 Posts
So I'm not sure how- in all my searching- I missed it but I think I found my next bike. This is the one, really. I mean it- The Yamaha MT-10 Tourer Edition. Unfortunately, they don't sell it here in America as a package altho one could build it w/available Yamaha parts.

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/kv/kv/pr...-edition-2020/

Because I ride like a pansy, my riding partner has told me I don't need it so I guess I won't get it. According to interweb reports, the thing only averages in the low 30 MPG range and it's got a small tank, good for only 130 miles +/- before refueling. And yeah, I discovered the site's thread about the bike, its positive & negatives.

Know what? I don't care. I like it. I like the way it looks, sits, the amenities and it ain't fugly, like the Tracer 900 GT.

·
Registered
240 Posts
So I'm not sure how- in all my searching- I missed it but I think I found my next bike. This is the one, really. I mean it- The Yamaha MT-10 Tourer Edition. Unfortunately, they don't sell it here in America as a package altho one could build it w/available Yamaha parts.

Because I ride like a pansy, my riding partner has told me I don't need it so I guess I won't get it. According to interweb reports, the thing only averages in the low 30 MPG range and it's got a small tank, good for only 130 miles +/- before refueling. And yeah, I discovered the site's thread about the bike, its positive & negatives.

Know what? I don't care. I like it. I like the way it looks, sits, the amenities and it ain't fugly, like the Tracer 900 GT.

View attachment 78051

I dig it.

Looks like an updated/futuristic FZ1.

Like an FZ1 in a TRON video game.....

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

View attachment 78051

My son rides (and tours..here we are in North Carolina last year) an MT-10 that he loves. It does a lot of things really well. The sound, even with a stock exhaust is ferocious sounding. It goes without saying it's fast, handles well, and stops well. He says the seat is a brick and yes it does get poor mileage when you are ripping it, but just cruising he gets about 40 mpg. We would generally start looking for gas in the 120-130 mile range, but wouldn't start panicking until the 150-160 mile range. He never ran out of gas (I had a siphon hose packed in the trunk of the FJR just in case lol)

BTW his previous bike to this one was an FJ-09 with factory bags and trunk which didn't thrill him like he thought it would, and he traded it in on the MT-10.

His bike previous to that was a Gen 1 FZ-1 which he loved. He always said if Yamaha brought out the FZ-1 with the cross plane R-1 motor he would buy one, but they brought out the FJ-09 9 months before the MT-10 and he had already bought one of those. A year later he got his MT-10.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Still looking towards the day of finally being forced to get off the FJR as age overcomes the strengths and skills.
Recent experiments- I love science!- include scooting around on the Missus' BMW F800ST (a decent, cheap bike betrayed by ridiculous ergos), a beater V-Strom 650 (a fun, Golden-Retriever-like big puppy, happy and sort of floppy), and a crashed/project Ducati ST2 (quite a handler and with a pleasant disposition towards longer rides, but slow).
All of those deserve their own stories.
Sometimes we entertain ourselves not by watching TV but screwing around on Craigslists and Cycle Trader. I set up some fantasy searches on Cycle Trader including the vaunted Honda VFR800s, with an eye towards the storied "fifth gen", 1998-2001 series prior to the VTEC arrival. Ever heard of someone really liking the VTEC? I haven't.
I did put a hundred fifty miles one day on a '98 when it was fairly new. It belonged to one of my Concours Owners Group riding club buddies. I'd taken the GL18 for that day's ride as the starting temps were in the mid-30s. Kevin really wanted to switch bikes after breakfast. I wasn't really cold but he seemed to be saying he was on his Interceptor, so we swapped. He even told me not to hold back, and go ahead and ride out with our club Fast Guy, Bob Johnson.
Talk about another story! You wouldn't believe half of that one.
Anyway, it turned out later that Kevin actually wanted to listen to the Bears football game that day and wanted the Wing's radio more than he wanted to ride his VFR.
I'm not a Honda guy but do respect them as being of exceptionally high quality and reliability. I've had a both 15 and 18 Wings, for example, and they were wonderfully well-crafted. That's appealing to a guy who spent four decades doing stuff with wood and houses.
So last weekend the Cycle Trader alarm goes off and it's a 2000 VFR with 30K miles and looks really good in the pictures, condition wise. Yeah, but it's yellow and I can't stand that color on anything but bananas.
Yeah, but it's only 40 miles away and the price is an insanely-low $2800. Oh, and it's got Corbin Beetle Bags, which you may recall were over a grand when they were new and are scarcer than honest politicians nowadays on Ebay.
It gets more convoluted: I'm talking to the gentleman (I was the first respondent thanks to the CT notification) and we come to the realization that we know each other- from the old COG club days! He even remembered Kevin's swapping 18-for-VFR!
I closed the deal two days later after disposing of my project ZX-9R, which sold on Craigslist in six hours and cleared a spot for the Interceptor.
The tires were fine... except they were fourteen years old and felt like rocks. I trailered it home and got on the phone with Rich's Yamaha Lockport, IL for a set of Pirelli Angel GT2s (which they slapped on for me two days thereafter).
Some maintenance items got attended to- the coolant according to the records was sixteen years old but came out clear and bright, thank heavens.
I immediately installed the Beetle Bags, which are damnably hard to install, and added a Givi topcase rack. I also slid in some Heli Multi-Tour Sport handlebars from my personal stash. I have to wait for longer Motion Pro throttle cables to really get the bars where my old, damaged neckbones needs them.
Did I mention $2800?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Looks like a heck of a bike for that kind of money. Congrats.

As to going lighter, ( about 140 pounds lighter lol) I ended up trading my FJR in on a 2021 NC 750x DCT which I will pick up in June after they are released. In addition in the last month and a half I have lost 13 pounds so I'm going lighter myself lol

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,084 Posts
Freakin' nice! Somebody posted up the link on one of the VFR forums about the same time... I was in shock it had the Beetle bags. Yep, I don't know anyone who loves V-TEC unless it was 2012 or later.... apparently fixed then.
Gen5 the best, and yellow is the fastest colour, so don't be dissing it, lol. My "Bumble Bee" is a 1999. Of course you're going to post up over on the VFR forums, yes? Do you have a handle over there?

·
Registered
340 Posts
If Honda would slap a cruise control on the NC750X, it might be worthy of consideration. Until then, I'll wait for the CB1100X/NT1100X to be released. That's guaranteed to have CC.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just put a deposit on a 2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT. I will be selling my 2013 FJR, the best bike I’ve had (so far) that eats up interstate miles, my older body just won’t tolerate longer distances any longer😕.

541 - 560 of 566 Posts