FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

521 - 540 of 566 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #521
Don’t know but the RT or more specifically the boxer engine is proving itself to be pretty good. I think RC65 may be on to something. Maybe the R or RS deserves a second look. I fear BMW is wearing my resistance down.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Don’t know but the RT or more specifically the boxer engine is proving itself to be pretty good. I think RC65 may be on to something. Maybe the R or RS deserves a second look. I fear BMW is wearing my resistance down.
Resistance is futile, Donk...give the 1250 Shift-Cam (or 1200, if you must) boxer engine a shot, and become One of Us. The low-down weight that makes handling nimble and cornering effortless, the massive torque across the entire power band in a comparatively lightweight package...it will truly transform your riding experience. The nice thing about the R or RS is that it's an excellent All-in-One kind of bike, as much a joy to carve winding country corners on with monstrous acceleration, dynamic electronic-suspension, and light flickability as it is to throw on the factory hard panniers and do long-distance with cruise control, near five-gallon capacity, a calm loping twin-cylinder 6th-gear hum, and just enough weight (525 lbs. wet) to keep it rock solid on the slab. It's also the first bike I've ever owned that I've not needed to switch out the stock seat...it's immensely comfortable right out of the gate.

I know some here have criticized BMW (and, perhaps in particular, the R/RS in question) for its over-engineered and plethora of electronic options and info, and while I don't dispute there're more provided by the bike than any rational rider truly needs, I'm not sure I understand the apparent antagonism toward those options/info. While they're available, they're not a required part of the experience...I probably use just a small fraction of the possible info on any given ride, and I've yet to experience any negative issues related to electronics (or anything else, for that matter...it's been a flawless performer from Day One). And if I do have an occasion to want to use my Tire Pressure Monitoring, or Hill Hold, or DTC access, or turn-by-turn text navigation, or Left and Right lean-angle recording sensor on my Sports screen, or control my media, or any of the other many features available to me, well, that's just icing on an already very, very satisfying cake.

My only qualm with the R is, of course, the lack of wind protection, but there are OEM and aftermarket solutions -- though the air is remarkably clean when the bike is ridden naked. The RS with its fairing (that's smaller than both the FJR and the RT) offers that protection, but if, like me, you place a priority on both comfortable ergonomics and nimble handling, both are unfortunately tempered to a degree by the RS, with too aggressive ergos and a slightly different bike geometry (to the R) that hampers handling with heavier cornering.

I know my posts in this thread about my new '20 R1250R may come off as a bit too overly enthusiastic, and I admit that it's only been a year since I traded in my '16 FJR for it so am still somewhat in the honeymoon stage w/ my R, but I shopped around for some time when I was Thinking of Going Lighter, and while I flirted with the new '20 Ninja 1000SX for a while, I decided then and still believe now that the R is the best alternative out there. Where else can you get a near 140-hp bike with low-down (and comparatively light) weight that handles like a dream, twin-cylinder triple-digit torque complemented by a variable cam system that delivers that torque unceasingly from 0 to 8500 rpm (goes to 10K rpm, redlines at 9K), has comfortable ergonomics, has a deluxe electronics suite that will leave you wanting for nothing displayed on the best full-color TFT in the market, excellent fit and finish in a design that beautifully blends classic and sportiness, AND offers it all with a "maintenance-free" shaft drive? If there's a better option out there for someone like me who values and desires all those assets, I honestly don't know what it is.

And with that little treatise, I'll give it a rest -- other than to say, do give the 1250R a try, Donk. The R wasn't even really on my radar until I figured, Why not, and took one for a testride...and I was sold in the first mile. I subsequently looked at other bikes (while testriding the R and RS three times each over the next month or so, just to be sure have more fun), but the R immediately became the default Bike to Beat from that first mile. And no bike ever did. You may or may not have the same reaction I did, but we'll never know until you try...:cool:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #523
The bike that really got under my skin was the used RS with R handlebars I looked at. The seller decided to hold on to it for another couple of months but that bike just fit. I know I’ll have a slightly slower turn in than the R with .4 more trail but once you ride it every day it just becomes muscle memory. Think that’s the direction things are heading. Of course I’ll buy used and if I love it I can always step up to the 1250.

Reactions: RC65

·
Registered
479 Posts
The air protection of the RS with the bars of the R would be a terrific package...best of both worlds.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #525
The air protection of the RS with the bars of the R would be a terrific package...best of both worlds.
Simple swap too. Everything is the same all you need is the bars and the top bar clamps.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #526
As strange as it may sound I picked up a ‘13 R1200R. Not what I was planning on but it is a really nice bike. The ‘13 is not the new “wasserboxer” water cooled boxer, it’s the oil cooled double overhead cam motor. Also has the telelever front end unlike the newer R bikes. The bike feels really solid like the FJR and that’s what I love about it. It’s light, low CG, and very flickable to ride. Best of all it’s easy to get on and off. I don’t have to climb on it like an adventure bike. I’ve always thought it was a good looking bike, it has all 3 bags and there’s lots of windshield options for it. Will keep you posted but I’m pretty sure it’s a winner. Would post a picture but can’t seem to do it from my iPad.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Congrats Donk. Hope you get many enjoyable miles out of it.

Looking forward to what you buy next lol.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Congrats, Donk, hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy its younger brother.(y) Let us know what you think once you get some seat time on it.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I rented an R1200R in Europe for 9 days. I liked it a lot except for the gearing and the t/s switches.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #531
Thanks guys will keep you posted

·
Registered
36 Posts
As strange as it may sound I picked up a ‘13 R1200R. Not what I was planning on but it is a really nice bike. The ‘13 is not the new “wasserboxer” water cooled boxer, it’s the oil cooled double overhead cam motor. Also has the telelever front end unlike the newer R bikes. The bike feels really solid like the FJR and that’s what I love about it. It’s light, low CG, and very flickable to ride. Best of all it’s easy to get on and off. I don’t have to climb on it like an adventure bike. I’ve always thought it was a good looking bike, it has all 3 bags and there’s lots of windshield options for it. Will keep you posted but I’m pretty sure it’s a winner. Would post a picture but can’t seem to do it from my iPad.
Congratulations on the latest acquisition! I have admired these machines for many yrs...c'mon we need pics...😁

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, amazing bikes, got my 2010 eight months ago for fairly cheap and only 6100 miles. Put about 7k miles on it, very comfortable, light, easy to work on and putting it on and off the center stand is nothing.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #535 (Edited)
Hey I can actually post pics with the new forum format! Not that I was paying attention when I bought it but it’s the 90th anniversary edition paint. Nice metallic black. Need to find a windshield I like and it’s all set.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #537
Feels like it may be a low seat. I’m going to check the part numbers and see

·
Registered
479 Posts
Very nice, Donk, and thanks for sharing -- congrats again.

Feels like it may be a low seat. I’m going to check the part numbers and see
I'm not up to speed on all the nuances of the 1200 version, but have seen quite a few photos of the model, and that sure looks like the low seat to me.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #539
It is a low seat and I bought a standard seat. Should have it next week.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'll be very curious to hear what you think of the chassis with the Telelever front. I've never ridden a bike with one, and while I've read about it, have no experience with them, and feedback from owners seem all over the board, though most give it pretty positive reviews.

521 - 540 of 566 Posts