FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

501 - 520 of 566 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have friends that can work on Italian bikes..they're not close by but they would be far more trustworthy than any dealer..and I would only need to pay for parts....I'm really attracted to the Caponord 1200..Like love at first sight...💓💓

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Good point on dealerships..The closest one to me is in Charlotte 2 hours away..and I have heard this particular dealeship is notoriusly bad...so that would leave me having to go to Savannah GA ....
Whenever I talk to someone about Aprilias they all say the dealer to go to is AF-1 or something in Texas.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #503
We had a really nice one for sale at the shop but it sold a couple weeks ago. By really nice it was in excellent condition had all 3 bags and ran well. Not saying it was something I was in a hurry to own.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have friends that can work on Italian bikes..they're not close by but they would be far more trustworthy than any dealer..and I would only need to pay for parts....I'm really attracted to the Caponord 1200..Like love at first sight...💓💓

Oh yeah?.but they're still a days drive from here...Parts availability is difficult and there are no reputable dealers that are worthy of my business...Beautiful..Italian .eminently impractical potentially a nightmare...like my ex...:oops:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #505
Beautiful nightmares! I had several Multistradas and they were all good bikes, no issues never left me stranded just good bikes. There was one exception and it was a ‘15 that dropped a cylinder before reaching 600 miles. I never saw the bike again after that the dealer traded it out for another bike which was flawless. I can’t speak of Aprilia but Ducati works pretty hard to keep its customers happy.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
My family doctor had a Mutistrada, had so many issues he traded it in on a KTM 1190. Issues on the KTM saw that traded in on his current ride an 850 TT Moto Guzzi. I dont think he's had an Apilia yet. Maybe that is next. He still has his BMW though lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well I'm still smitten with the Capo 1200 Travel Pack...I know someone who owns one out in Tucson...and they just love theirs...They had a Multistrada and said the Aprilia is a better machine...
Not really worried about dealerships and warranties on a 2015 Capo....I have a friend in N.GA who works on Italian bikes and has raced his Ducatis is SBK competitions in Brazil..A days drive..but I can stay the weekend and then ride prime N.GA roads...and I would only pay for any parts needed..

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Well I'm still smittien with the Capo 1200 Travel Pack...I know someone who owns one out in Tucson...and they just love theirs...They had a Multistrada and said the Aprilia is a better machine...
Not really worried about dealerships and warranties on a 2015 Capo....I have a friend in N.GA who works on Italian bikes and has raced his Ducatis is SBK competitions in Brazil..A days drive..but I can stay the weekend and then ride prime N.GA roads...and I would only pay for any parts needed..
Sounds like you know what you need to do.

Reactions: stbne

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like you know what you need to do.
Before I can move forward i need to sell my vintage XS650..problem is I applied for the title with NCDMV and its been 5 months and I'm still waiting...NCDMV has its head up its ass...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I had ( 3) 650 Yams a 73 TX, a 79 XS and an 81 XS Special. For some weird reason I always enjoyed those vibrating SOB's lol

Before I can move forward i need to sell my vintage XS650..problem is I applied for the title with NCDMV and its been 5 months and I'm still waiting...NCDMV has its head up its ass...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have owned 3 Yamaha '79...'80 and '81 XS1100s ..1 '82 Yamaha XJ1100 Maxim...2 FJ1200s '86 and '90 and 1 '82 Maxim XJ750 as well..The '82 Maxim 1100 I bought brand new and kept 30 yrs...
My 1980 XS650 Special Two Resto-mod...Forsale...$3500 once I have the title in hand I will put it on the market...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
That 650 is gorgeous. I put superbikes bars on my 81 special too.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #514
the Ferret it sounds like your Doctor needs to try a Japanese bike. I’m assuming if he’s your family Dr that he’s not too weird but sounds like he enjoys pain and suffering. In my year long love affair with KTM I have found some of them to have questionable electronics at best.

I have found an interesting bike in my search for lighter. Now that I’ve added lighter and not taller the field is much smaller. ‘11-‘13 BMW R1200R. Oil cooled BMW with telelever front end. Earlier ones are good too but have different heads, don’t rev as freely, if revving freely is even a term you can use to describe a boxer engine. Has a very solid feel to it and some come with bags. Don’t know why but it gets my attention more than the new water cooled R1200R. Handles MUCH better than 1250 Bandit and is a larger bike than an FZ1. Hope to put some miles on one we have at the shop this week. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have owned 3 Yamaha '79...'80 and '81 XS1100s ..1 '82 Yamaha XJ1100 Maxim...2 FJ1200s '86 and '90 and 1 '82 Maxim XJ750 as well..The '82 Maxim 1100 I bought brand new and kept 30 yrs...
My 1980 XS650 Special Two Resto-mod...Forsale...$3500 once I have the title in hand I will put it on the market...
View attachment 77482
After I got my first real job in '82, that 650 was one of the very first brand new bikes I ever considered buying. As I recall, the one I looked at was gray or silver- a thing of simplicity and beauty! I didn't buy one tho, instead getting a black Honda Nighthawk CB550.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
the Ferret it sounds like your Doctor needs to try a Japanese bike. I’m assuming if he’s your family Dr that he’s not too weird but sounds like he enjoys pain and suffering. In my year long love affair with KTM I have found some of them to have questionable electronics at best.
Lol Dennis has been my family doctor and sometime riding companion for 38 years. Ever since he came into my motorcycle shop looking for an obscure bulb which I recognized and was able to source for him. When I got him the bulb he asked if I needed a doctor, which I did, and we have been friends ever since. He has always been a Euro freak. Triumphs, BSA's ( I sold him my Rocket 3 when I got low on money one year and needed fuel oil for the house), BMWs, Guzzis, KTMs etc. The only Japanese bike I can remember him owning was a Suzuki Hyabusa he tried to turn into a Sport Tourer with higher bars etc. He soon sold that and went back to Euro bikes. He also drives Euro cars. Great guy, but maybe takes too good of care of me lol. If I hiccup he sends me for some kind of test. Thanks to him I have a gastroenterologist, a cardiologist, a urologist, a rheumatologist, a dermatologist, a podiatrist and an orthopedic surgeon my cell phone contacts list lol. I hiccup a lot

Doc Ward on one of our trips to s/e Ohio trying to figure out why his fancy Beemer wouldn't start after we stopped to remove rain gear (hint fob was in pocket of rain coat locked into saddlebag)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #519
Spectreman you seem to do your best to help me spend my money. Appreciate the link but it’s an 1150 and the only one I’m interested in is a late model 1200. Plus I’m back in WI for the rest of the year. Unless Mrs agrees to move north as you suggested I’m not returning to FL. South FL Gotten too crowded by to many unhappy people for me.

the Ferret your Docs RT is far prettier than the one I’m riding. Always wondered what the point of keyless ignition is. Seems the fob is never where it’s supposed to be. At least with a ignition that requires a key you both have a handy holder for the key and you know right where it is when you need it.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
the Ferret your Docs RT is far prettier than the one I’m riding. Always wondered what the point of keyless ignition is. Seems the fob is never where it’s supposed to be. At least with a ignition that requires a key you both have a handy holder for the key and you know right where it is when you need it.
Yea it was pretty funny. I was on my FJR and he was on the Beemer. We pull over, take off the rain gear stow it away, I jump on and fire mine up and he's just sitting there with his hands in a wth position. Loved the look on his face lol. I say "What's wrong?" and he says "the darn thing won't start". Every time he tried to start it, this alarm sound would go off but it wouldn't start. After about 10 minutes he got off, dug into the saddle bag and pulled out the fob and walla, fired right up. Apparently the bag material acted like a shield and wouldn't let the bike read the fob. The distance between the fob in the saddlebag and his pocket sitting on the bike (where he normally keeps it) couldn't have been more than a foot or so? Not sure what the range is on one of those.

I hate the fob in my wife's Toyota Highlander. I like keys. I like locking/unlocking the door with a key. I even like rolling down windows by hand . Never have trusted electronics ha ha.

501 - 520 of 566 Posts