Fjrowners.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Day 345 of riding this year started out at 28 degrees and light light snow flurries. Rode up to my local shop for their annual Christmas party which they ended up not having (had it every year since 1972 that I remember). As usual I was the only bike there. On the way home it dropped to 24 degrees and started snowing pretty hard. It was pretty bad by the time I got home. Think I've found my limit on conditions I am willing to ride in (not temperature, but road conditions) lol. 44 miles today.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My man you are HARDCORE.

I can handle the cold (and those hand cover things look downright toasty), but I'm not up for the slick stuff on two wheels.

Was this a Motorcycle shop party?

Canceled for Covid?

Reactions: the Ferret

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
"Look at that EED-EE-OTT riding a motorcycle on a day like this!!" -the other drivers.

Woohoo!! :crylarf:

I got stuck in several inches of snow on I-44 once, on my FJR. I was incredulous about how well the bike almost didn't seem to care. I did learn that falling snow that melts on your car windshield DOES NOT melt on the helmet face shield. It was ride, swipe, ride, swipe, ride, swipe, etc.

Extreme points are yours, sir!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My man you are HARDCORE.

I can handle the cold (and those hand cover things look downright toasty), but I'm not up for the slick stuff on two wheels.

Was this a Motorcycle shop party?

Canceled for Covid?
Yes motorcycle shop party cancelled because of Covid. Some of us old timers showed up anyway, folks (men and 1 woman) I have raced mx with and street ridden with since the early 70's.

·
Registered
117 Posts
What tires are you using and how are they in the snow? My fear is laying down my nice new bike on some black ice...

·
Registered
441 Posts
My temperature limit is about 30F. I’m no fan of riding in snow. I got caught in some years ago and hated it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I know I have shared this, but in 73-74 I was going to Miami in Oxford. A couple of times I rode home to my parents house in Kenwood with the temps in the high teens and occasionally in snow. That was when if there was any good winter gear, I **** sure could not have afforded it.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
What tires are you using and how are they in the snow? My fear is laying down my nice new bike on some black ice...
From the tread design in the pics, they look like Michelin PR4's. Could be Michelin R5's but I'd bet 4's.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Ferret living on the edge? ...some say people get wiser as they mature :-D

1) how about you get a Can-Am or Ural for those winter days....or
2) move to SoCal so you can report a 365 riding days on your favorite forum
3) or at least go dark side "front and rear" with some Blizzak's or X-Ice's ;-P

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Mike, that's a legitimate fear ! I've ridden in that same weather, the cold is one thing but the unseen road hazards are very real indeed !

Older age has tamed my sense of adventure in that regard, I don't heal nearly as fast or well as I used to.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL I have that fear too.. Got to tell you, it was a little nerve wracking the last 5 miles, when I had to ride in the tire tracks of the cars in front of me, but you can see by the first two pics it wasn't like that when I took off. When the snow came, it came fast. Weather forecasters had predicted flurries but no accumulation on the roads due to road temperature. Today is a winter wonderland. Streets are covered in snow and ice. No riding today.

Crazy part is tomorrow it's supposed to be 40, and it will all melt! At least we got a white Christmas for those that wanted it. Normally there is an 18% chance of having snow on Christmas here.

The tires are Michelin Road 5 GT's and they have handled everything well. I have a little over 5000 miles on them. The tires have never slipped at all... in rain or snow, but I'd prefer not to test them out on any more snow. Cold yes, snow no.

Reactions: FJRChuck

·
Registered
604 Posts
My friend and I took a ride to Thompson Falls Mt which on the way goes over Thompson Pass. It was Late October and in the shady parts there was some very heavy frost which made for some very dicy riding since the road is very curvy. Don't think we will be doing that again anytime soon.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Be careful Ferret. I went down today after a buzzard flew into Super Duke GT I was riding. Wrong place wrong time. It was the pits but could have been a lot worse. I’m getting too old for that nonsense.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to hear that Donk. Hope you weren't injured. The black headed vultures are a problem here, since they wont get out of the way. Just hop aside slowly before taking off in any direction. Red headed vultures will generally fly off, but may circle back. My wife's helmet got clipped by one a few years ago in northern Kentucky.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Day 345 of riding this year started out at 28 degrees and light light snow flurries. Rode up to my local shop for their annual Christmas party which they ended up not having (had it every year since 1972 that I remember). As usual I was the only bike there. On the way home it dropped to 24 degrees and started snowing pretty hard. It was pretty bad by the time I got home. Think I've found my limit on conditions I am willing to ride in (not temperature, but road conditions) lol. 44 miles today.

Riding in those conditions take really big stones! Glad you made it home.:shock:

·
Registered
247 Posts
This was my limit going over Wolfcreek Pass, Colorado in May a few years go. Had to leave the bikes on the mountain and hitch hike down until the mountain untill the blizzard passed. Came upon us in about 5 min. Not a lot we could do. I was riding my V-Strom and my buddy was on his FJR. We could not even stand up. Tried to walk the bikes to the side of the road. I and my bike fell once and my friend fell with his FJR twice. Once on each side cracking the faring both times, just walking the bikes. Need to be prepared when riding the Colorado mountains.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This was my limit going over Wolfcreek Pass, Colorado in May a few years go. Had to leave the bikes on the mountain and hitch hike down until the mountain untill the blizzard passed. Came upon us in about 5 min. Not a lot we could do. I was riding my V-Strom and my buddy was on his FJR. We could not even stand up. Tried to walk the bikes to the side of the road. I and my bike fell once and my friend fell with his FJR twice. Once on each side cracking the faring both times, just walking the bikes. Need to be prepared when riding the Colorado mountains.
Dang Chuck, that is serious. Would have never thought of leaving my bike, but I suppose that was the smartest thing to do. How long did you have to leave them up there?

I like hardcore dudes when it comes to motorcycling.

Awesome pics btw.

·
Registered
649 Posts
What’s the old Air Force saying? There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. But there are no old/bold pilots :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts