Fjrowners.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I rode my usual route. West from Travellers Rest, SC on 276 to Brevard NC, south from Brevard on 64 to Rosman NC, Rosman to Pickens SC on 178, eat at Takosushi in Greenville, and home on I-385. 195 miles and 459 curves. LOL

I mention this because in the middle of the pandemic I would do this same route, and it was incredibly calming. It would take the first 25, or even 50 miles, to shake off the severe pandemic blues, and then the rest of the ride was an incredible high, which I desperately needed at the time.

SINCE then, I loaded up my old 03 Mercury Sable, hooked up my Time Out camper trailer and did 7 weeks and 10,000 or so miles all over the western USA and saw all the things I always wanted to see. {a couple of pic's below for you guys who will say "it didn't happen if you don't have pics", LOL}

I mention the trip out West because, till I rode my mountain route yesterday, I didn't realize how the trip to California had refreshed me. I still enjoyed my ride yesterday, but I didn't NEED it, like I did during the middle of the Pandemic.

The Pandemic isn't over, of course, but it is over for me, at least the psychological part that was depressing me.

{I can't get the tree pic rightside up, no matter what I do}. LOL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,884 Posts
Good on you for finding something that worked. For some of us things really didn't or haven't changed much. Work as normal, ride & travel as normal, etc. The only annoying part was not meeting with the boys at the bar every other week or so but it seemed like someone was always stopping by for a beer in the driveway.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If there was ever a year that everyone needed a trip, this is that year. Did a 4k mile trip in Sept. and felt like a new man by the time I got home. Road trips do the soul good.

Reactions: philharmonic

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
The number of extroverts needing help during the pandemic is higher than I ever imagined. Seek out your introvert friends and ask for their advice on how to live with yourself during the quiet times.

Glad you found some temporary respite.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I take the statement "the pandemic is over for me " with a large bucket of salt.

After all you have demonstrated poor decision making in taking an 03 mercury sable past the neighbor hood quick mart.>:)You cant be trusted with decisions that include. Time, timing, safety, well being, or life longevity.

Sounds like you had a good trip.

BTW did you get to partake in the crop commonly grown in the region of those tall trees?

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Those are some nice roads to have at your disposal. Here in Flat Farmland NJ. I speed up for an exit ramp just to get the dust off the tires edge.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Those are some nice roads to have at your disposal. Here in Flat Farmland NJ. I speed up for an exit ramp just to get the dust off the tires edge.
At least you've got nice blueberry fields to look at.....Need to get to Hunterdon County to have anything really nice to ride.

·
Registered
238 Posts
At least you've got nice blueberry fields to look at.....Need to get to Hunterdon County to have anything really nice to ride.
I started riding with a sport touring club a few years ago here in NJ. I am constantly amazed at the amount of really good twisty riding in the state (at least north of say the Princeton area) as well as NE PA and southern upstate NY. Lived and rode here most of my life yet these guys are constantly showing me new to me fantastic roads.

Was talking to one of the club members about how I can't wait to move out to the inter mountain west in a few years. He spends part of the year at his place near a ski area in Montana and keeps one of his bikes out there. He told me the riding is nice but the big problem is the lack of number of great roads when it comes to doing day rides. After you have ridden the same handful of great roads near you a few times you kinda want something new and to get to the next good area it is a real haul. Just something I never considered. Around here the number of twisty backroads for a day trip is almost endless.

I guess my point is that sometimes we forget to appreciate what we have and the grass is not always greener so to say.

·
Premium Member
7,742 Posts
Ha! I could ride MT and neighbouring states for two weeks and not be bored... in fact have done it in 2016. In 2018, started in MT, rode through 10 states and up into BC. That trip was 26 days.
You can have a week of fun in the northeast as well.... I'll have to get me to NJ now by the sounds of it.
Northeast stuff........
https://www.newenglandriders.org/

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I take the statement "the pandemic is over for me " with a large bucket of salt.

After all you have demonstrated poor decision making in taking an 03 mercury sable past the neighbor hood quick mart.>:)You cant be trusted with decisions that include. Time, timing, safety, well being, or life longevity.

Sounds like you had a good trip.

BTW did you get to partake in the crop commonly grown in the region of those tall trees?
The wife tried to get me to take advantage of the situation. She, due to bad lungs and asthma, has never partook, and I haven't for many years and she wanted to eat some and see what all the fuss was about.

What stopped me was that I can be tested at random in my volunteer prison work, and even though I haven't been able to serve for these long months, we could be called back at any moment.

I don't want to be locked out of the thing I enjoy most in life.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Fun post, Phil. :D

I've been travelling a lot during the 'rona. Lots of road trips and 'fly-n-ride' trips. My business was offline and smoking by the roadside for those months, giving me a melancholy spirit... but putting rubber on strange pavement sure helps me to cope. Lean angle and new roads remind me of how blessed I am.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ha! I could ride MT and neighbouring states for two weeks and not be bored... in fact have done it in 2016. In 2018, started in MT, rode through 10 states and up into BC. That trip was 26 days.
You can have a week of fun in the northeast as well.... I'll have to get me to NJ now by the sounds of it.
Northeast stuff........
https://www.newenglandriders.org/
No doubt. Believe me I am not suggesting anyone take a cross country trip to spend a week riding in NW NJ lol. I think the point he was trying to make is that a vacation ride through some of the nice motorcycle roads of the mountain west may not give you a feel for what it's like to actually live and ride there. When you start zooming in on the map you start to realize that there are just not a lot of variety of paved roads for day trips within say a 200 mile radius of most places other than large urban centers. I'm considering adding a light dual sport to the stable for this reason. While the sheer number of paved roads are limited there is no shortage of dirt roads and trails out there.

·
Premium Member
7,884 Posts
Ah yes, conversations like these about NW NJ make me nostalgic for the old days. I was born & raised up there and back in the day as young teenagers we'd ride our little minibikes and 50cc puddle jumpers all over. It wasn't until the late '70's the urban sprawl began creeping into the neighborhood in general. We thought "The City" was a million miles away at the time. Riding and camping in NJ, PA & NY was a normal summer thing, often lasting all weekend. My Dad was a rider who gave it up when money was tight. Having a young family and all- many of us have BTDT.

Something I did a few yrs ago here where I am now is to come to the same realization as some about riding the same ol', same ol' boring roads. Even in the west of NC, there's only so many roads and after 15 yrs riding the same loops got boring as h3ll. By chance I had randomly visited a state park and I was hooked! I decided to visit (at that time) all of NC's 27 state parks on my bike. Along the way I've discovered state recreational ares, state forests, state historical sites, light house and much, much more so the list is up to I think 63 different places just in NC. I highly recommend a system like this even in a smaller state like NJ. I'm sure you won't be disappointed at what your state has to offer. I posted many little ride reports and pictures along the way in the Meetings & Events USA section.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,742 Posts
I'll bet my buddy SpokaneJim can show ya... read some of his ride reports, he's been all over the PNW. Has a dual sport too, lucky butt that he is. He's on my hot list to hook up with next time I'm out that way.

Reactions: StratTuner

·
Registered
278 Posts
Smaller success. I go out almost every day (150-200 miles).
Starbucks are open ... sort of, so I carry a camping chair and just enjoy my Coffee sitting in their parking lot... I can even still be on their Internet.

Beyond that , I've learning where the good parks are... parks with open pic nic tables (I like to sit and write) and open rest rooms. Coronado Park, Coronado Island is best. (that's in San Diego Bay)

Daily rides are not what they were... but they're close.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I find it somewhat calming that the thread here has a common element. For example:

- I’m done with the rona: I’m taking a road trip in my Oldsmobile

- I’m done with the rona: I’m taking a bike ride to the smokies

-I’m done with the rona: I am
going out on rides to feel better

Why does that calm me you may ask??

It calms me because our passion for riding motorcycles highlights the human condition. Our love for riding drives us to move forward and overcome obstacles.

The pandemic will end, and we will continue to ride. Long live the ride..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here the state and the authorities have invented "confinement" ... and they won't let us travel even if you go alone and don't see anyone.
You can't even leave town on the weekend...
Around here in Europe, there is still a lot of pandemic ahead ...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I miss the pan-dammit!

The roads were clear!

I was riding twisties at upper speeds with motorcycle cops and state troopers giving me pointers.
I was still working 40-60 hours a week and the wife was and still is working from home. I don't have to worry about the 9 year old when he came home from school or just the fact that someone was at home for me to go play.
Although I live in a Blue state the cops and most people I had ever talked to during all of this was loving the Ideal about keeping non essentials off the roads. Accidents were down, traffic was almost not relevant. I was able to make what usually takes 45 min take 15 min. Just like it should be! The real virus is people!
I loved how people would look at me with disgust when I would tell them that I didn't need a mask when I have a full face helmet on with leathers.
I wish I could partake and I live here!

·
Registered
247 Posts
My last pandemic ride before the snow, ice, and cold came. Left the FJR in the garage and took the V-Strom out east.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts