Fjrowners.com banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
The Calsci information is outdated... I'll just say don't use any of the newer Supertech filters. Remove the oil filter adapter and shave 0.06" off the face of the hex and you can use Purolator/Bosch again.
The modified Bosch leaked when used on my wife's car too. Gave them up completely.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I just read the censors are going to go back and edit out all the profanity, socially unacceptable material and racial slurs from Blazing Saddles. The edited version will be shown this Saturday evening from 8:00 until 8:07.
Anyone who has paid attention to Blazing Saddles knows every joke, every n-word, fell on the white folk. Every one but, "It's twue! It's twue!"

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have used a Scotts performance stainless filter on most of my bikes going back to 2004 with no problems. A thing of beauty to look at too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first gen had a Yamaha 5GH-13440-50 on it. Hiflofiltro sent me a HF148, which is 10mm taller/deeper. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
My first gen had a Yamaha 5GH-13440-50 on it. Hiflofiltro sent me a HF148, which is 10mm taller/deeper. Should I be worried?
Prior to 2013 (I think I have that right) Yamaha themselves used a taller filter.

I bought my 2013 and knew I'd be putting the initial 600 miles on it in a couple of days, so I picked up a filter with it. I was surprised when I discovered that the replacement filter from Yamaha was taller than the original on the bike. So I checked the Wix site and sure enough, they specified a different part number for the 2012 and 2013. I just checked, and they actually still do. Most confusing at the time.

As it turns out, though, they are interchangeable.

Just so I can take part I've been using the Amsoil EAOM103 filter, which is the same filter used by my 2003 Goldwing and my 2005 Burgman. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I have used a Scotts performance stainless filter on most of my bikes going back to 2004 with no problems. A thing of beauty to look at too.
The problem with a stainless steel filter is that it's perforations are exactly whatever the rated particle size. Cut by laser. Everything larger stops. Everything smaller passes. A sieve.

A fiber filter operates by statistics. Is rated for a particle size for which 90% or so are caught on first pass. But many smaller particles are also caught first pass, only fewer. But every time through more are caught.

Am saying I believe all paper filters work better than stainless steel.

Reactions: bounce

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
No worries. Gen1 & 2 had 2 different filters specs. The shorter one you had and the longer one you got delivered. the HF148 works fine, I've used it several times.

·
Registered
115 Posts
No worries. Gen1 & 2 had 2 different filters specs. The shorter one you had and the longer one you got delivered. the HF148 works fine, I've used it several times.
Good because my plan was just to get a 6 pack of 148s.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts