FJR Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh my Gosh! What an amazing bike!!!

All those fancy features!!!

Oh wait, I thought they were talking about the 2008 Yamaha FJR!!! ROFL!!!

I mean really, I am not hatin', because I would ride the ever loving crap outta that pig, but come on guys...

Yamaha has been doing all that for years! 125HP Oh mein Got!! LOL

Here is a good review, if you are interested:

Ride on!

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sad, pitiful, belittle? I thought the snark was implied...

It looks like a great machine.

·
Registered
212 Posts
5,500 redline? Shesh....,

Still no helmet lock...

It's not a bad looking bike and the gauges, kinda like em, won't need any reading glasses with that "TV screen"...

Last opposed BM'er I rode (around 2005), I hated the constant, engine vibration (opposed twin).

Simply over engineered IMO... Give it a couple years when those extensive/ expensive electronics fail...

·
Registered
589 Posts
It does not have a 5500 rpm redline. Seen plenty of high mileage ones without issues. I’m not a fan but they’re not all bad either.

·
Registered
655 Posts
It’s a pretty neat bike with great features. I almost bought one when I bought my current FJR. I had two 1600s. But it really came down to price and vibration. I have not ridden the newer 1250 RT, but did do a short ride on the GS 1250. I would probably consider the 1250RT if it was not so expensive. It’s a lot lighter than the FJR.

Reactions: Myfjr

·
Registered
212 Posts
It does not have a 5500 rpm redline. Seen plenty of high mileage ones without issues. I'm not a fan but they're not all bad either.
In that video, the tach showed RED at 5,500 RPMs and up.

?????

·
Registered
57 Posts
Jim, These bikes are about the same weight as the FJR. 635 lbs. with full fuel. They feel lighter I think because the weight is carried lower on the bike with the horizontal opposed engine.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Never been a fan of BMW's but if'n I were to go that way, I'd go R1250RS w/hard bags.

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/sport/r1250rs.html

Looks a lot like a Gen 2 FZ-1

A buddy bought his R1250RT about the same time I bought my FJR. His cost 10 grand more than mine. (course he got all the bels and whistles and I bought the base model).

The other day he told me he rode 657 miles in 2020. I rode a little over 21,000 lol. Then again I don't drink coffee (ha ha)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have been kind of interested in the RT but only the base model which wasn't much more than a new FJR/ES but all that seems to have changed for 2021. It looks like BMW has included many more options in 2021 for the base model which looks to have driven the base price way above 20K. I'm just not into whistles and bells and gizmos be it in automobiles or motorcycles. That's what attracted me to BMW in '76 and what has driven me away from them in later years. Then there is the cost of membership over time which is also through the roof and just to go down the road on two wheels??

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like the BMW line in general and have ridden several RT's, but i think the way to buy them is to find one 8 yrs old with low mileage and be prepared to do the wrenching yourself. But thats also the way i bought my FJR, so YMMV :)

Reactions: Donk

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Well, ,,, my friend bought a new R1200RS (just released) back when I bought my 14a, he constantly lets me know about the BMW superiority, particularly the lighter weight which I believe was around 450lbs. But he failed to include the weight of the bags and all the clap trap needed to mount them. Probably about 100lbs more with everything. He constantly brags about his quick shifter superiority. Sad if you need to be able to shift a few milliseconds faster that a normal tranny ! I view it as unneeded clap trap, bah humbug!

It feels like a tiny bike compared to the fjr with a much lower Cg , very nice!

Things I don’t care for : the price, it was about 10k more than my fjr. I didn’t have to order my fjr or put a deposit down and wait months and then be expected to take whatever comes in regardless of the price. The controls are not intuitive at all and in typical German engineering things are way to complicated just because, and finally the fit and particularly the finish (don’t care for a flat Finnish) leaves a lot to be desired. The flat finish is easily scratched/scuffed. He added an akropovic can to it as well, definitely don’t like the sound.

The only service issues he’s had has been the steering head bearings (sounds familiar) and an ABS switch of some kind. He has his Bmw shop do all the work and the costs just amaze me.

The really funny thing is that I’d like to ride one to see if I’d like it, but his dealer is over 100mi away.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Yep, they're expensive, but I've rented a couple of RTs in NorCal and I found them to be way better in person than they looked on paper.

On one of the trips I was bumping the jugs and hanging with the sportbike boys with a full-sized femme on the back. I would not expect either of my sported up FJRs to have performed any better, even in the power department. That motor is excellent, and I'm not a twins guy.

·
Registered
474 Posts
In that video, the tach showed RED at 5,500 RPMs and up.

?????

Not sure what that red (orange?) line is... max horsepower is 136 @ 7750 rpm, so redline must be higher.. need an owner's manual I suppose.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/20...-rt-first-look-11-fast-facts-specs-28-photos/
I replaced my 2016 FJR with a 2020 BMW R1250R (not RT) last Spring (see my posts on the Want to Go Lighter thread), so can address this, as I have basically the same TFT as the one shown. My engine is essentially the same as well, though is tuned a bit differently, with 136hp and 105 ft. lbs torque (and is just 525 lbs. wet) which the Shift-Cam maintains thoughout the lion's share of the rev range, either by RPM (switches at 5000'ish) or throttle load (variable).

The TFT's red line does start out at 5500 when the bike is turned on and the engine is cold, but moves up the RPM range as it warms up. Within ten minutes or so, that red line will be significantly higher...mine redlines at 9000rpm on a 10,000 rpm scale, and I presume that's probably standard across the 1250 line.

I can't speak to the RT model specifically, but if anyone has any questions about the new 1250 Shift-Cam engine in general (or the R in particular), I'd be glad to address them. Short answer: It's the best bike I've ever ridden.

Oh, and that beautiful 2020 RS that was pictured earlier in this thread? That was the bike I was initially looking at, until I went to the dealer and did a couple test rides on both the RS and the R, and found the ergonomics of the RS far too aggressive -- something like 17 degrees vs 7 degrees of the R -- and the slightly longer geometry of the bike's rake/trail too heavy in corners. The R, on the other hand, fit like a glove and was incredibly nimble (and has the brackets for hard panniers, if desired). The RS is not just a R with a fairing, the ergos and handing are notably different and, for me, much less impressive.

A couple pictures of mine in Pollux Metallic Matte:
http://instagr.am/p/CFx_itIgNOm%2F/ http://instagr.am/p/CDm53pjA45M%2F/

·
Registered
212 Posts
The TFT's red line does start out at 5500 when the bike is turned on and the engine is cold, but moves up the RPM range as it warms up. Within ten minutes or so, that red line will be significantly higher...mine redlines at 9000rpm on a 10,000 rpm scale, and I presume that's probably standard across the 1250 line.

l]
Very informative, the redline ITSELF moves as the engine warms...

Guess it's slick... Un-fortunately, the more electronic stuff you put on ANYTHING, later down the road/time, the more there is to fail...

IE, many years ago, my friends BMW (forgot what model, he bought a new one literally every 6 months or less), the key security switch system failed leaving him stranded. I picked him and the bike up with my trailer.

I'm just a "KISS" kind of guy.

When I ordered my 04, I did not want ABS, just one more thing to maintain / break down the road...

To each his own of course...

·
Registered
7 Posts
The service cost for BMW vs Yamaha will keep me away from the BMW's.
I had a 2008 R1200GS prior to purchasing my 2012 Tenere.
Don't miss the $$$ spent just to maintain the bike.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The service cost for BMW vs Yamaha will keep me away from the BMW's.
I had a 2008 R1200GS prior to purchasing my 2012 Tenere.
Don't miss the $$$ spent just to maintain the bike.
Yeah, I hear that. BMWs seem to be plagued with issues like soft cam shafts, brake calipers that leak, cost of maintenance and on and on. Even the extended warranties can run over $1K and they are 3rd party no less unlike Yamaha extended warranties. I've heard it said that many BMW owners plan to off load their bikes before the warranties expire just to be safe and not have to foot the bill for repairs themselves. I've heard that BMW is still having issues with the final drives self destructing.

I think my last BMW is the one I presently own that being my R1100RSL without much tech and she's never been to a dealer for service in her 27 years. I put the first mile on her and to date she only has 11K original miles and never been in the rain which isn't easy in my neck of the woods. Yup, she's a garage queen if ever there was one.:smile2:

·
Registered
318 Posts
I replaced my 2016 FJR with a 2020 BMW R1250R (not RT) last Spring (see my posts on the Want to Go Lighter thread), so can address this, as I have basically the same TFT as the one shown. My engine is essentially the same as well, though is tuned a bit differently, with 136hp and 105 ft. lbs torque (and is just 525 lbs. wet) which the Shift-Cam maintains thoughout the lion's share of the rev range, either by RPM (switches at 5000'ish) or throttle load (variable).

I can't speak to the RT model specifically, but if anyone has any questions about the new 1250 Shift-Cam engine in general (or the R in particular), I'd be glad to address them. Short answer: It's the best bike I've ever ridden.

Oh, and that beautiful 2020 RS that was pictured earlier in this thread? That was the bike I was initially looking at, until I went to the dealer and did a couple test rides on both the RS and the R, and found the ergonomics of the RS far too aggressive -- something like 17 degrees vs 7 degrees of the R -- and the slightly longer geometry of the bike's rake/trail too heavy in corners. The R, on the other hand, fit like a glove and was incredibly nimble (and has the brackets for hard panniers, if desired). The RS is not just a R with a fairing, the ergos and handing are notably different and, for me, much less impressive.

A couple pictures of mine in Pollux Metallic Matte:
http://instagr.am/p/CFx_itIgNOm%2F/ http://instagr.am/p/CDm53pjA45M%2F/
Stunning bike but - This all can't be true! Most here won't want to see this or believe you! Blasphemy!:surprise:

Can't knock the FJR. It's a great bike. For those who are content with it...thats great. BMW not for you? Thats cool too.

I see a RT in my future.

It costs money to constantly update a bike. Keeping a bike up to date and not clinging to a 17 year old design has costs to recoup tooling, design costs etc. I've ridden the last of the RT1200's (previous generation). Loved it and thought it was a better bike then the Yamaha but also didn't think it was worth the extra $. I'm over that now. Especially with the 2021.

I have 4 Motorrad dealers within an hour of my house. One is twenty minutes.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts