FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually, the magazines have cycle reviews hit the stands about the same time as the rides show up in the retail shops. The reviews seem somewhat delayed with the revised FJR. One might guess they are waiting for the "paddle shifter" to arrive.

Issues of interest

Compaired to the Classic Design, how does she feel?
Linked Brakes
Longer wheelbase
Taller differential gearing

I imagine the writers will ignore the subtle changes and concentrate on the semi-auto issue. What is it, next month the paddler shows?

In San Diego, BAGSTR

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes I think I will probably have ridden one before the mag's get there info out. I am interested to see how it wprks, clicking up and down. The subtle changes could be good, especially the air flow in the hotter parts of the world. Smooth roll ons and tons of torque will still be the big assets, but the creature comforts, cooler, less buffeting, heated grips, better computer etc. That will get a mild thumbs up I would imagine. We'll just have to W A I T and see.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ride Review

Stretch,

And the review is?

BAGSTR

·
Registered
22 Posts
BAGSTR,

The review was a very glowing report and the only thing the tester knocked on the bike was the positioning of the oil level sight glass. Guess they have to come up with something. To summerise the report in a few words of the tester ... speed grace and style, its a truly wonderful motorcycle.

Stretch

·
Registered
22 Posts
BAGSTR,

The review was a very glowing report and the only thing the tester knocked on the bike was the positioning of the oil level sight glass. Guess they have to come up with something. To summerise the report in a few words of the tester ... speed grace and style, its a truly wonderful motorcycle.

Stretch

·
Registered
154 Posts
Must admit I have read this weeks motorcycle news first ride quick test, and its not that good, a few moans about low speed riding and paddle shift position too near the headlight flasher and horn button, waiting for a full mag test to see what's what.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Have to say I was expecting the full hatchet job, but they seemd to have found a few positive things to say, and to be fair the negatives could just be down to the rider being unfamiliar with the bike. Not sure you could unlearn years of clutch experience with only the one days ride they had. As you say waldy, a proper test report would be nice, but only earmarking 800 for the whole of Europe makes it sound like Yamaha aren't too certain of the market.

However there were a couple of other items in the paper that seemed to me to overlap with what they wrote in this test.
In the verdict column they say " Don't dismiss Yamaha's YCC-S system....They're definitely on to something and with more development similar systems will surely become the norm."
Previously on page 6 they describe the new Pan European due for launch later this year as "the most technically advanced bike the firm has ever put into production".
Then in the editor's letter on P22 "Next year we'll see at least one auto box on a Honda and possibly one from Kawasaki on their new GTR1000".

Could it be that the verdict on the first to hit the streets of the big four bike makers efforts is slightly coloured by the fact that they are all planning to produce similar bikes?

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Yes it's the second test in a row for MCN which has been done with a bit of professionalism.
I thought the FJRAS test was conducted fairly with some good points being brought up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts