Fjrowners.com banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,885 Posts
I think we do tend to overthink it. Most of us could buy a new bike, change the oil as specified using any brand of oil that meets the specs, and the bikes would serve us fine as long as we own them. For instance, I used plain old Pennzoil for decades before going to Amsoil and never had any problems that I'd consider to be oil related.

We come to these forums and argue oil nonstop, and how often will anyone tell you they had ever been wrong? Virtually everyone says they've used what they used on the interval they chose, and it works well for them -- everything works.
Exactly! IMHO it comes down to the very basic saying--

Clean oil good, dirty oil bad.

Whatever oil (and filter) someone chooses to use, when replaced regularly, will do the job just fine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
OMG! I was joking around! ..................
Joking with oil is the same as joking with politics.

I made the mistake of suggesting "Snake Oil" and also said "No bull. Just Bullseye." Inevitably, someone took me seriously.

·
Registered
453 Posts
LOL. Regarding Intuit's post, I think that ".WTF" should be added as a new top level domain. Most internet sites already qualify for it. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
3000 or dirty? Whichever comes first, yes?
I'd say that most of us go longer between changes. I tend to do 4000+ but will change it before a 6000-mile trip then when I get back home. Final drive every other oil change.

A high-detergent oil may begin to look dark (dirty?) pretty quickly. I don't really pay that much mind. It can look black in the window but not that bad when drained.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Mr_ Ed. When I was 22 I knew all there was to know. Fast forward 30 years and now I know I don't know butt from a hole in the ground. So I hope you don't mind if I pick at the gray matter in between your two audio receivers for a little advice. This is my first FJR and would like to buy a service manual so I can maintain and work on it myself. What has been your experience? Usually you get what you pay for. I would rather pay the extra money and not be frustrated by buying a crap manual. I personally prefer a physical book. Hope to hear back. Good day

·
Registered
324 Posts
This is my first FJR and would like to buy a service manual so I can maintain and work on it myself. What has been your experience? Usually you get what you pay for. I would rather pay the extra money and not be frustrated by buying a crap manual. I personally prefer a physical book. Hope to hear back. Good day
I found a hard bound shop manual for my 2013 on ebay, cost around $40 shipped, well worth the money to me

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I found a hard bound shop manual for my 2013 on ebay, cost around $40 shipped, well worth the money to me
Yeah. I've got service manuals for both bikes and use them almost every time I'm tinkering with one. I also use the Youtube videos posted by many members just to review what I'm planning to do. People who have already been there will know tricks that aren't mentioned in the manual.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Looking back to Post #1, does anyone else find it funny that this 12-page and counting thread was started as a joke? :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
my 2009 - one joke Yamaha consistently makes is, sticker under seat says use 20w40 oil. Factory service Manual says use 20w50. On this site I see posting for 15w50, 10w40. But the engine design has not changed since 2002. Although the oil filter size has from tallish for a bike to shorter by at least 1/2":lol:

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Looking back to Post #1, does anyone else find it funny that this 12-page and counting thread was started as a joke? :)
Well it IS an oil thread. Turning simple folk into petro-chemical engineers since the invention of the internal combustion engine. LOL

Throw in a couple of comments about best tires and we could have us a good old fashioned bru-ha-ha.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Well it IS an oil thread. Turning simple folk into petro-chemical engineers since the invention of the internal combustion engine. LOL

Throw in a couple of comments about best tires and we could have us a good old fashioned bru-ha-ha.
Now that you mention it, I can remember my dad arguing about oil back in the 60s. He was convinced that a straight 30 was much better than that new-fangled 10w30. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
my 2009 - one joke Yamaha consistently makes is, sticker under seat says use 20w40 oil. Factory service Manual says use 20w50. On this site I see posting for 15w50, 10w40. But the engine design has not changed since 2002. Although the oil filter size has from tallish for a bike to shorter by at least 1/2":lol:
I can vote for the lighter oil, things have evolved... my experience with 20W40-50 was engine noise on startup in the cooler weather, indicating to me oil viscosity too high. Blending down made that go away, but now I use 10W40.
The trend in cars these days is for quicker warmup and thus emissions, 5W's and even 0W's on some cars.... too thin for me in any bike.....

Filters a big subject too, however, none of ours get dirty enough to worry about it with the oil change frequency we use. I like the long ones though.

Reactions: Mr_Ed

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I can vote for the lighter oil, things have evolved... my experience with 20W40-50 was engine noise on startup in the cooler weather, indicating to me oil viscosity too high. Blending down made that go away, but now I use 10W40.
Filters a big subject too, however, none of ours get dirty enough to worry about it with the oil change frequency we use. I like the long ones though.
I don't ride much in colder weather anymore, but with 20w40, in cold weather, my Goldwing would run away with me if I happened to snick it into low before it had warmed a bit if I didn't have my hand firmly on the front brake. ;)

I just use what the manufacturer says to use. To be fair, Yamaha does give us quite a bit of leeway in the manual.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts