FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2014 FJR 2003 ZRX1200
132 Posts
Just got back from a little 50 mile round trip around the county. Some nice roads around when people are clogging them up with their cars and trucks. It was in the upper 40's to near 50 and overcast. Kept the face shield up the whole time. I'm not a cold weather rider but here in south central NC there are numerous days each month that are good for comfortable ride. I have always made it a point to ride every month of the year. Almost missed November!

Happy Thanksgiving

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,615 Posts
Currently 48F and was going for a spin..... postponed until tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, going to do two rides today. #1 is already in the books, a 50 miler on the NC. Saw 2 other guys out riding, both on Harleys.

Going to repeat the route on the CB in about an hour. Don't have to be at our son's house until 4.

·
Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
300 Posts
I'm on my way up north to go skiing for the weekend.
Otherwise I might've ridden. Although the streets are wet from melted (salty) snow...

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
984 Posts
I rode only about 25 miles but roads were wet and then it rained. Had to wash salt residue off bike when I came home. Will have to reapply ACP-50 before I ride again. Salt in WI is brutal, they use 5 times as much as they need to. Any ride is worth it this time of year. Yesterday was near perfect, did about 60 miles. Forecast for Saturday looks great.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Yea! Rain Sunday then nice the beginning of the week. That should wash some of the salt off the roads.

the Ferret do you use any kind of anti corrosion spray on your bikes? I know you ride your main bikes year round. Do they not salt the roads heavily in Southern Ohio? If I did that here is WI I wouldn't have much bike left by spring.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do not use any kind of anti-corrosion spray and do ride my bikes year-round. They do use salt and beet juice here in sw Ohio, the amount depends on the severity of winter. They have already salted once this year. I do wash my bikes in the spring to get rid of winter crud, but they do take some punishment with regards to oxidation of some metal parts. But here's the thing, I roll up so many miles that my bikes are generally valueless at the end anyway. A bike with 75-100,000 miles on it is not going to sell well anyway, and certainly not for top dollar. So that frees me from "worrying or obsessing" about the condition so much. Mechanically my bikes are top notch, but from an appearance perspective not so much. And I'm ok with that. The riding is worth it to me.

·
Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
300 Posts
I do not use any kind of anti-corrosion spray and do ride my bikes year-round. They do use salt and beet juice here in sw Ohio, the amount depends on the severity of winter. They have already salted once this year. I do wash my bikes in the spring to get rid of winter crud, but they do take some punishment with regards to oxidation of some metal parts. But here's the thing, I roll up so many miles that my bikes are generally valueless at the end anyway. A bike with 75-100,000 miles on it is not going to sell well anyway, and certainly not for top dollar. So that frees me from "worrying or obsessing" about the condition so much. Mechanically my bikes are top notch, but from an appearance perspective not so much. And I'm ok with that. The riding is worth it to me.
Same. I bought my 2020 FJR1300ES to pack miles on. I should easily hit 100,000 miles with it by 2028.
And that is with only having 7 rideable months here in Minnesota.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Plant Bottle Font Toy Happy

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same. I bought my 2020 FJR1300ES to pack miles on. I should easily hit 100,000 miles with it by 2028.
And that is with only having 7 rideable months here in Minnesota.
Most here, in this part of the country, consider it a 7 month riding season too, putting their bikes up on Nov 1 and getting them out again April 1. I just looked at my journal and for the 2021-2022 "winter season" of November 1 2021 to April 1st 2022 I managed to ride 125 days and 5,942 miles. It isn't worth it for me to stick my bike in the garage...I like to ride too much.

·
Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
300 Posts
Most here, in this part of the country, consider it a 7 month riding season too, putting their bikes up on Nov 1 and getting them out again April 1. I just looked at my journal and for the 2021-2022 "winter season" of November 1 2021 to April 1st 2022 I managed to ride 125 days and 5,942 miles. It isn't worth it for me to stick my bike in the garage...I like to ride too much.
Northern Minnesota gets a ton of snow with many below zero days.
I bring out the proper toys then..
Land vehicle Ice racing Snow Snowmobile Vehicle

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,615 Posts
Went for a decent spin today, about 100 miles. Sun was barely poking through and it was 5C for most of the ride, quite breezy and a few gusts. Cooled down to 4C and cloudy by the time I got home... Tomorrow will be even warmer with a high of 11C, so I'll be off again.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Northern Minnesota gets a ton of snow with many below zero days.
I bring out the proper toys then..
View attachment 89561
Two good reasons I dont live in Northern Minnesota lol.

I have a good buddy that does though and he curses his ancestors for moving there every winter, but he won't move south.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
We’ve had salt put down (a lot) and they spray the roads with sodium chloride which is highly corrosive, I just can’t subject my toys to that. Here in NW Indiana where I’m just off the SE corner of Lake Michigan you just don’t know what you’ll get weather wise. Hoping to get some time to “pickle“ my bikes this week for their winter sleep.

I admire youse guy’s that can & do ride year round, the cold doesn’t bother me so much but I just can’t subject my bikes to the corrosives as their appearance is important to me.

So I just sit back with a hot cup of coffee and read & enjoy your ride reports, keep ‘em coming ! Thanks !

1 - 20 of 39 Posts