FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one on this forum ever heard of anything like this happening, went into the garage yesterday and as i was walking past my FJR i noticed a small dent that looked like it came from the inside of the tank, but then i looked over to the left side of the tank and it was totally caved inward without any visual sign of anything hitting it, no scuffs no scratches or anything. it has been parked for 2 1/2 months because i had knee surgery and could not ride, i started it about 3 weeks ago and let it run for awhile and all was fine, there has not been anyone in the garage or near the bike, have no idea what has caused this. please let me know if anyone has experienced this or anything like it. Steve

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've heard of but never experienced fuel tank "implosion" due to blocked venting on a EFI equipped bike. Chances are it can be popped/worked out, *if* you can get your hand or some type of tool in the tank after removing the filler cap housing or fuel pump. It sucks :lol:

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Weird.

Seems more likely to me that something, or someone could have dented it without leaving a mark.

Never heard of anything like it.

:)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Obviously, a vacuum was created when you last run the bike - any extreme changes of temperature in your garage over the last few weeks?. This would assist the vacuum damage.

I can only conclude that the tank vent is blocked.

·
Registered
47 Posts
+1 on the vent. Not as uncommon as one would think, judging by the number of posts I've seen on the subject. As a result, a check and cleaning of the tank venting system has become one of my oil change items.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.