FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FJR1300, 1994 VFR750f, 1999Jeep Cherokee
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much searching I decided to get a Nelson-Rigg Commuter Pack. It is awesome. Well made. Roomy enough and expandable. Good looking. What's not to like?

I took a ride to Naches, WA along 410 from Enumclaw, WA last Thursday. It wasn't ideal weather: kinda cool with very low clouds around Rainier- so low the mountain was out of sight the entire trip, even at the summit of the pass! The lee side of the pass, 410 has taken a real beating and is a LOT bumpier than in the past which is sad. But of course once on the other side it warmed up considerably. Since Naches is in Delta Covid country I opted to have a simple lunch by myself outdoors at the town gazebo and it was actually quite nice. Herewith are some pictures...

The question will be raised: why get a tail pack when one has roomy and handsome saddlebags? WEIGHT! Those suckers look great but they are heavy: 12 pounds empty (ok- 11.5 without the liners). That's 24 pounds of nuthin' hauling around. It makes a LOT of difference in the handling of the bike. Plus using a tail pack for those solo day trips saves wear and tear on the saddlebags. The bike handles more nimbly in the turns and doesn't feel so much like a heavy beast (not that it's really THAT bad but you can tell the difference). It's much more streamlined without the bags and it looks great! So there you have it...

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
693 Posts
That is a very smart addition! I agree. I have a Cortech Sort tail bag 82-417 that I mounted on my passenger seat. I can carry everything I need for a day trip.

Reactions: Metro Phil

·
Registered
331 Posts
That last photo with the fog is absolutely beautiful!

Agree the side cases are a lot of weight and bulk unless needed - I have a pretty good size magnetic tank bag that holds enough stuff for all of my day long adventures.

Reactions: Metro Phil

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That last photo with the fog is absolutely beautiful!

Agree the side cases are a lot of weight and bulk unless needed - I have a pretty good size magnetic tank bag that holds enough stuff for all of my day long adventures.
I used to like tank bags until I began to realize that tank bags can get in the way.... especially when cornering aggressively. This is unlikely to be the case with an FJR: it's just not going to get flogged in the corners like a GSXR. So there isn't really much worry there. Still.... old habits die hard and I tend to stay away from tank bags generally. But that's not to say they aren't good. Everyone has their own thing... so enjoy!!

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,706 Posts
We all tend to carry too much stuff....... smaller tank bag is better and darn handy. I'm liking the Nelson Rigg tail bag.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
357 Posts
I rode that same stretch last year early summer, and was amazed how quickly the temperature changed after the pass. I parked in the snow at Tipsoo and it was in the 40's as far as I recall. 15 min later it was 80 degF...and down the Yakima Canyon it was approaching HOT. Beautiful scenery though!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got a Nelson-Rigg on my '13, but I think it is the smaller version. Very well made and reasonably priced...
I think you may be the one who posted about it and it led me to think about getting the Commuter model....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I rode that same stretch last year early summer, and was amazed how quickly the temperature changed after the pass. I parked in the snow at Tipsoo and it was in the 40's as far as I recall. 15 min later it was 80 degF...and down the Yakima Canyon it was approaching HOT. Beautiful scenery though!
Yes the temp changes considerably! It was quite chilly at Tipsoo Lake and like you said 15 min later I wanted to take my long sleeve shirt off! By the time I got to Naches it was pretty warm. And you're right: very pretty country to ride in but I could not live out that way. I prefer being on this side of the mountains...
:cool:

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
357 Posts
Yes the temp changes considerably! It was quite chilly at Tipsoo Lake and like you said 15 min later I wanted to take my long sleeve shirt off! By the time I got to Naches it was pretty warm. And you're right: very pretty country to ride in but I could not live out that way. I prefer being on this side of the mountains...
:cool:
I always enjoy coming back to the west side of the Cascades. Much greener and better riding climate (not as hot or cold as the east side). I am also a city person, so need lots of people and stuff around me :)

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,706 Posts
I'll just say I love the PNW. Have had a few multi-week trips there, hard to beat, lots to see and you can't see it all. Did I mention I love the PNW?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bought my wife one of those bags for her street triple setup, great bag, it’s roomy & sturdy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts