FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on ordering some crash bars and luggage bars for my 2007. There only seem to be a couple of options.
T-Rex is out of stock on the crash bars at the moment, I've emailed them to see when they think they will have more.

So, any compelling reasons to go one way or the other? I see that R-Gaza has 2 versions, the police type and regular with about a $10 difference.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - those really do stick out a ways - although it looks to be about the same amount as the fronts.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Thanks - those really do stick out a ways - although it looks to be about the same amount as the fronts.
Oldjeep,

The rear bars protect your panniers, which are costly, and your mufflers.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Gaza rears do stick out more then TRex, so in the tip over situation the rear will stick the bike higher, bringing the mirrors closer to the ground, with more chance of damaging it, (this is my speculation only) since neither manufacturer will post the YouTube video of how well will their product protect the FJR in the real tip over.

I also didn't like how low are the front Gaza bars, so I got F+R TRex, like the fit and finish much better.

here some TRex pictures when bike laid down "carefully" on their parking lot:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting - looks like the muffler is touching the cardboard, or at least super close.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
yeah some poor pictures from TRex, you think "if they really trust their product" they would drop the FJR on their parking lot and show a video of how well it performed.
when hitting the ground the aluminum sacrificial curved plate on the rear guard will bend and bring the muffler closer to the ground but I hope TRex did calculate that in their design.

Also the TRex plastic puck on the front doesn't even touch the ground, which is not great.

Like I said I still got the TRex for piece of mind, thinking it will not completely save the bike, but it will minimize the damage...since there are too many variables to consider when the bike goes down at speed; it may cartwheel or hit an object etc.

here's Gaza vs TRex rear

and the plastic TRex puck not doing the job

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
FYI - on the TRex crash bars
Thank you for contacting us. We are currently out of stock on the engine guards, and they won't be available for purchase until another few months.

So it looks like R-Gaza it will be for the crash bars - likely the YCCS version, unless I get a response back from MC Enterprises on the canyon bars. Going to get the 905 luggage bars, really like the look of that design.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So here's my .02. I have the Canyon Cages which I like, but unfortunately are no longer available. All of these rear guards are an issue if you want to put a passenger on the back. They can interfere with the passengers foot room. Although the 905s look interesting in that they leave the most room.

My problem with the Gaza and especially the TRex compared to my Canyon Cages is the way they do the upper mount. Compared to the Canyon Cages the upper mount uses 'both' of the bolts for the passenger peg bracket. At first you would think this is a good thing and more is better, right? Not so much. I ran across an FJR peep with the TRex rear guards who had had a very low speed drop or low side. Due to the forward motion of the bike, the rear saddlebag guards were bent backwards. But it wasn't the guards that were bent back, but the mounting point on the frame was tweaked, or torqued. So now the saddlebag guard was angled back and in constant contact with the sidebag. Good luck trying to bend back that mounting tab on the frame.....

Imho the single point mounting of the Canyon Cages or 905 Racing would not not cause, or at least be much less likely, to tweak the actual frame mounting tab. After seeing what happened to his TRex, I personally would not buy the dual mount type of the Gaza or TRex.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,126 Posts
Wow, I didn't know you could get 905's any more. They fit only Gen2, as there is a cross-brace that goes from side to side through where the headers are..... I had these on my '07, but not the rear guards.
If your bike was lowered or you had softie OEM suspension, the lower part of the front bar would scrape when leaned in a curve, suspension loaded, so it looks like they angled it now. Needed it.
The rear bars mounted in the footpeg bracket, so the passenger peg basically mounted to the (relocated) bracket welded into the bars. I have no idea if that was good or bad.
The 905's are basically stunting bars.... I put 3" wider sliders where the main engine mount bolt is, it would prevent a tipover. Too bad T-Rex's regular big sliders wouldn't fit their bars.
If you have Canyon Cages, get Garauld's sliders for them. Up front is where you'll prevent a tipover, not the rear.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wound up ordering the standard R-Gaza bars from Amazon, should be here on Sunday. Ordered the 905 luggage bars, and they are about 3 weeks out. Will be interesting to see how much difference there is in the powder coat, the R-gaza looks flat black in the pics and the 905 looks shiny. If it bugs me enough that would be a good winter project to match them up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Gaza rears do stick out more then TRex, so in the tip over situation the rear will stick the bike higher, bringing the mirrors closer to the ground, with more chance of damaging it, (this is my speculation only) since neither manufacturer will post the YouTube video of how well will their product protect the FJR in the real tip over.

I also didn't like how low are the front Gaza bars, so I got F+R TRex, like the fit and finish much better.

here some TRex pictures when bike laid down "carefully" on their parking lot:

View attachment 77998

View attachment 77999
Thanks for the great pics! I often wondered how far you could lean before dragging the bags, when I'm on the bike it feels like they stick out more then they actually do.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I just finished installing the R Gaza infinity style on Orion! I really do like the look!

Now the instructions for installing...well there are none! But it did come with some really cool laminated call out sheets and a finished install look!

Since I am Ukrainian, I was able to interpret what those Russians wanted me to do! LOL

Looking at doing the rears soon.

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I've had the R-Gaza Police bars for a while and like them. Here is a pic of an FJR on the ground from the Amazon reviews. You can read the story over there...

I liked the Police Bars because they seem (to me) to fit in with the lines of the bike better. They also don't interfere with the oil filter removal. Last... I used some KTM off-road foldable foot rests for highway pegs. When they are folded in you can barely notice them. I'm all torn down and greasing my rear suspension, but here are some pics of it on the lift.

Closed:
20210406_162452[1].jpg

Open:

Reactions: Oldjeep

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Not sure if you meant any pun in there but that statement gave me a laugh. :) And that black looks nice against the blue btw.
Oh yes, all kinds of pun!

Thanks, I though so too!!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Interesting - looks like the muffler is touching the cardboard, or at least super close.
Nothing touches when the bike is down if you have t-rex. Either side. I’ve been knocked down twice in traffic. And tossed it over twice because I’m stupid. Zero damage from the ground any of these times (across two bikes). Great customer service and support too.

Neither the fronts nor the rears limit foot placement, rider or pillion.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts