FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Pete was the first to express a preference about a specific date, and this tied in with the Preston Posse's window of opportunity, would a Fest on the 29th/30th of April be OK, bearing in mind that this is a bank holiday weekend, and people may already have made other plans?

Now, there have been a couple of proposals for the beginning of June to coincide with the departure of Murf and his merry men on their way to Turkey, and personally, I'm looking forward to seeing them off, but having it earlier means that Pete (and possibly Murf) can raise a few glasses with us, and still have a month to recover before they go.

I have found an hotel that would fit us all in, but would like to know if people are going to be able to come. Bear in mind that this is the South East, it's fairly short notice, and we are into the start of the wrinklies holiday season so the price may have to be a bit more than what we usually pay. I've got to speak to the manager when they get in to work on Tuesday but if we take 10 rooms or more then we can get a good discount, probably down to around the £70 per room per night mark (B+B). All I'll say at the moment is that it is a 3* hotel right by the sea, with it's own parking, and the bar can stay open all night if we're not too rowdy.

There are other guest houses etc in the surrounding area, so please don't feel that I'm trying to make everyone stay in the one hotel, but any campers might be out of luck as touring campsites that take tents are pretty thin on the ground round here. Soft southern types don't do tents apparently.

If you could post as to whether you would be able to come, and if you'd be staying in the hotel so that I can have a proper idea of numbers then I'll get talking to them.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm in.

·
Registered
218 Posts
marshman said:
but any campers might be out of luck as touring campsites that take tents are pretty thin on the ground round here. Soft southern types don't do tents apparently.
Sorry Marshman, count us out :lol: as there's no camping, I know with the amount of weekends that we are comitted to with the other club and the fact that we wont have been back from Florida that long, I wont be able to get Mark to cough up for 2 nights in a B&B, let alone a hotel - have fun though. 8)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well what timing.....

We had already made plans for the Sunday night down south which seemed along way to go for one night but now we have another reason to travel.

Friday night & Saturday at SwampFest, leave Sunday morning to revert to our original plan.

·
Registered
728 Posts
We're in too.
By a complete stroke of luck, I'm down in Docklands that week anyhow, so couldn't be better placed!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Marshman
Book me & Ail in for the Saturday night please. We are looking forward to clinking a few glasses with you all prior to our big trip.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got off the phone and the arrangements have been confirmed, based on the numbers who have declared an interest so far, so if no one else turns up we'll still get the discounted rates, but they have loads of room at the moment, so the more the merrier.

The Swampfest will be based at the Stade Court Hotel in Hythe, just next door to Folkestone, overlooking the English Channel. Dates are as promised the 28th/29th of April.

Now I know its not your typical Ye Olde local Inne, but its not too big, and you're so close to the sea that if it's stormy the fish will be landing in your cornflakes.
For those with GPS inclinations the entrance to its parking area is at N51deg 03.940' E001deg 05.180' (although that could be work :oops:)

The good news is that they've given us a bit more discount than they initially suggested, and the B+B rate is £65 per night double rooms, and £45 singles. At the moment we just have a provisional booking, its up to you to phone and make your own reservations and pay deposits etc (Chris and I will be doing our usual Fri/Sat/Sun even though its just down the road for us) .

The hotels desk number is 01303 268263 and you need to quote reference 4899 to get the special rate, just don't mention that we are a gang of bikers who plan our meetings via the internet, as I've managed to keep that from them so far :lol:

Some more good news is that I was wrong when I said that there were no local campsites. After a bit more digging around there are a couple that may be suitable. The only drawback is that none of them are exactly local to the hotel.

The closest ones are both at 3.5 miles according to the GPS. A small quiet site is located at Folkestone Racecourse. Apparently the shower block isn't up to Newquay standards, but its not that much further than the campsite was at the Dragonfest. At about the same distance, and a lot bigger and better equipped is New Beach Holiday Village
Also with the benefit of the full seaside experience is one at Folkestone Warren (about 6.5 miles), although they don't take caravans as the access is too steep, so might need a bit of care on a loaded bike.
A couple of hundred yards up the road from the Warren is the splendidly titled Little Switzerland

Unfortunately that's the best I could find in the surrounding area, and I've not had the chance to visit any of them so can't give a personal recommendation, but transport to and from shouldn't be too much of a problem as there are plenty of taxis available locally.

Anyway, wherever you are staying, once you've booked up, please let me know what nights you've gone for and I'll have a go at making the traditional 'fest attendance chart. Lets hope we don't get traditional Bank Holiday weather.

Sorry this message has sort of grown into another monster post :oops:

·
Registered
401 Posts
that's me booked in Fri, Sat and Sun.

Nice one Marshman!!

When do we get to see the routes????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
317 Posts
looks Good Marshman,

3 observations from their description:

What is a picturesque cinque port? :?:

They have been welcoming guests since 1939....as they are on the English channel and would have been one of the first to be invaded this is a bit of a worry. :shock:

Close to Eurotunnel...I may have to disappear for a chat with the director as the shares have gone down again. :cry:

Still, If its good enough for Liz, its good enough for the Germans, sorry, us.

·
Registered
728 Posts
wintermb said:
looks Good Marshman,

Still, If its good enough for Liz, its good enough for the Germans, sorry, us.
Well that remains to be seen, Mike. So I have
1. booked fri sat sun
2. given them your mobile number, Pete, so that you can again sort out the best room for us and
3. warned them sternly that I have long experience of shifty hotel staff and they won't get round me very easily, so they had better book up their ideas and make sure there's no sloppiness in April.

Cheers, MM. Well sorted. Now can we officially rename the event to suit the host?
puncturefest?
nailfest?
deflaterfest?
Hmm. How long will you be leading for, MM?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Oh Liz you can be so cruel sometimes :lol: Of course as it's just round the corner he'll be fine this time, it's only when he's got about 400 miles to get home that these things happen. But if it does there's no way I'll be hanging round waiting for the breakdown people this time! :lol:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Okay that's me booked in too for the three nights!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Ian, can't you spot the pattern here?
There's a determined southern drift in these meets. It's all to test how far you will actually travel to see someone have a puncture.
And now you've got the first aid thingy, well, we will be really keen to see how well you cope with post - puncture shock.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, you're all too late. Took a detour on the way to work round the back of Folkestone to look for a campsite and was suddenly overcome by that familiar wobbly feeling.

Two hundred quid later the bike has a brand new set of BT020s on it.
Hopefully that's this fests puncture over with :roll::evil:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Bloomin eck, see what you've done Liz, tempted fate. Least we know the roads will be clear for the rest of us.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Liz what have you done :roll: I think the problem is marshys beard bits blowing off & getting stuck in the rear tyre :lol:

1 - 20 of 194 Posts