FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've learned in my past few bikes what a value careful suspension mods can be.

Both my GSF1200 and SV1000S have aftermarket shocks, (Hyperpro and Penske)... and aftermarket springs, (Racetech or Sonic)... and I am SOLD on the improvements.

So I shelled-out for the full set-up on the FJR - Sonic straight-wound springs for my weight, (1.20kg), and a Hyperpro shock for the back.

Some slight difficulty with installing the Sonic springs; they are a full 2" longer that stock... so you have to utilize the PVC tubing they provide, cut off pieces within their parameters (instructions supplied), for spacers. The Hyperpro plugged right in, and how nice to throw out that silly "HI-LO" adjuster switch contraption, for a real adjustable Preload capability.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE.
Same way as my other two bikes when I did this work... the bike just CHANGED, into an extremely good-handling machine. It now just ROLLS over bumps with almost no upset or flinching... it soaks it all up... the big, 640-lb Mama now TRACKS around corners with confidence. Wheeee!

I don;t work for anybody, ain't plugging no brand... but I'll tell you guys: if you have a few Greenbacks burning a hole in your Klims.... invest in proper suspension upgrades. You will appreciate the expenditure, I'll testify. I mean, before changes the bike handled... okay... wallowing around a bit with improper damping and the wrong spring rates, and I had to baby it through deep corners...
Now it sits on the road like a prehistoric bird [that's Hunter Thompson]... and quite rails through a corner... now quite an excellent SPORT tourer.
Like Mickie D's: Lovin' It!

Hyperpro Rear 460 Emulsion shock # YA13-0AA.... $570 total, (includes one free rebuild at 20K miles)
Sonic straight-wound springs 1.20KG... $130
2 bottles of Maxxim 5 wt - $30

For $730 you can transform your ride. Hyperpro asks your all details specifically, weight, load, riding style, etc... and accurately sets up the internal valving and rates. Mine new one, just installed yesterday, is really pretty amazing. This bike now TRACKS.

I..I..I think I'm falling in LOVE.

Purple Violet Material property Auto part Gas

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,260 Posts
I would definitely agree on the front springs - I went with traxxion- they send you the spacers precut. On my bike I am ok with the rear shock. I put an r6 conversion on my fz1 but the fjr rear feels good to me on the track and great on the road.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,324 Posts
The stock spacers can be cut as well, rather than doing PVC.

Reactions: Oldjeep

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a good idea.. I'll have to take a look when I replace the mangled fork cap

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Report on the suspension upgrades-
STELLAR. I can't say enough. The bike previously felt rather soft and wallowy over the bumps and in the corners..
Now, it is taught and firm... without any harshness or discomfort. It soaks-up highway ripples completely... and is hugely better in the corners. It feels more like a Sportbike now.. which is exactly what I had been hoping for: a Highway tool with Sport capabilities. I won't be scratching knee-pucks anytime soon... it IS a big heavy bird after all... but now it is SO much more controllable.
For me, well worth the $750. NOW I'm really digging this bike!

Reactions: FJRChuck

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,324 Posts
Nothing trumps aftermarket suspension...... so now, would you say spend money there first before going with any other farkles?

Reactions: mobilemike

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ah! Great question! Before I'd ever bought an FJR I'd thought a lot about "what I'd do to it" if I ever did. I'm a believer that in most cases, a stock motorcycle is just a "canvas".. and there are always improvements .. or at least adjustments... that should be made.
Here was my basic list, roughly in order of importance to me-
  • Aftermarket mufflers (I like to at least hear my bikes, and also drop a little weight)
  • Ivan ECU re-flash to smooth-out any FI fueling issues.
  • Drop the handlebar height if possible. I prefer a more "Euro" ergo position.
- Improve the suspension. I have never yet met a Japanese motorcycle that couldn't be benefited here.
  • a minimally-sized, tinted windshield. (part "sporty", part aesthetic)
  • Fender eliminator. Purely for aesthetic reasons- I think the bike has great "lines", hard to find in modern bikes.
  • Radar detector mount. (I fabbed-up a piece of stainless sheet and 3M taped it over the speedo)
  • Throttle lock. I was hugely surprised when I picked the bike up in Michigan, that it already had one. A GOOD one!..similar to the old NEP units on my other bikes.
  • Tank protection. I have "tank 1/2 bras" on my other two bikes; do they make this for the FJR? Now I went with nice quality carbon-fiber contact paper, cut neatly, and a stick-on unit for my zipper area.

That's about it. I've also added Block-off plates for the PAIR system. Takes the clutter out of the engine bay, perhaps allows more air in to keep slightly cooler... and heck, two pounds lighter is two pounds better!

So at this point I've done all the above, and I doubt there's much else to "modify"... although I'm actually thinking about carefully drilling & tapping some 6mm holes on the rear sub-frame, in order to mount some much-needed BUNGEE POINTS. I'm not a huge fan of side-bags, (yet!)... and there are plenty of times when I just want to bungee a jacket or a case of beer on the back seat. One reason I like the FJR is for that lovely, integrated rack behind the seat.. why Yama-mama couldn't have added some simple bungee-points... I can't fathom.

But all my mods are in and done. Total cost: about $1800, (+ the initial outlay of $5000 for the bike). The bike has now become sharper and leaner and much more precise. I love the low-slung feel; it's still a weighty bird and fully Highway capable, but now carries that heft so much better, and I actually think this "style" may have been closer to what the Engineers originally thought when drawing this bike, more than the "Gold Wing" set-up that most people prefer to use them for...
but that's just me.

Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Fuel tank

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,260 Posts
Unless you do some reinforcement with a Stiffy or the yamaha aluminum luggage rack I wouldn't go putting a case of beer on that rack - or drilling any holes in the already weak subframe.

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting... what's a "Stiffy" Chuck? ...and you say the subframe is weak?

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,260 Posts
Search is your friend. But it is a known issue that the subframe that supports the rear carrier likes to break. The Stiffy is something Gerauld sells that reinforces it. Or you can get an SR357 (Givi) which likely doesn't fit with your plans or the heavy duty aluminum rack that yamaha sells in place of the painted one. Or just put your damn bags on ;)

·
Registered
08 FJR13AX
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot, Chuck. I did do a search, have contacted Gerauld, and ordered a Stiffy from him.
Much appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts