FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I recently became the proud father of a new 05 Silver Storm FJR1300. Man, what a change from my BMW 1200CL.

Still running it in (nearly 700kms after 1.5 weeks of ownership) and she is sweet as.

My only complaint is the tingling in the right hand. I think heavier bar ends would help with this though.

I also get a tingling down my spine, but I think thats just adrenaline :)

Any hints or tips about setting the suspension? I understand that everyone has there own preferences about these things, but I hope that someone similar to me has found a sweet spot that I can try to emulate.

I am 175cms (5' 9'') and 86Kgs (189lbs) or (13.5 stone).

Thanks
Dave :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
When I was first on the bike, it had been a long time since I had done any suspension adjustment, and the FJR had so much more to play with. So I just rode it for about a 1000 km, then started firming it up. Two notches at a time. Thought I had it right, then as my confidence in myself and the bike increased I went back to work.
You might want to go thru the details on this link http://www.section8superbike.com/suspensionsetup.php
it will give you a good understanding for what you are looking for.
Enjoy, it is worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Tingling can also be caused by gripping the throttle too hard and in the case of the FJR, a fairly hefty main throttle return spring (which has been addressed with the 06).

You could be brave a disconnect the main throttle return spring, many have done so, including me. Get some stiffish wire around the spring hook first and hold tight as you flip it off, then tie off your wire. That way, you can retrieve the spring and re-attach quite easily.

Heavy bar ends yes, many have fitted them.

I also took the handlebars off, made a template out of cardboard and fitted thin rubber sheet under the handlebar mounts on the top yoke, to isolate some vibration that way. The rubber will squash a bit when you bolt down the bars, so cut off the excess with a sharp craft knife. It is very very easy to slip and scratch your yoke though.

Oh, and welcome to the madhouse.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Strider, this site just gives a good understanding and useable steps. But you are right, the Duc site is pretty sweet.
For anyone wanting, lots of others out there too, just Google it and you may find something more to your liking.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Suspension settings?? Mine only has two. Soft and hard. It goes on hard when the wife gets on. (mines an 03. Are multi settings a recent addition? I don't bother with the bike press anymore.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Check the manual for stock settings first. Mine came with left and right forks adjusted different! Check the rear shock for stock setting too.

I keep the preload on firm all the time because I'm a pretty big dude (my 15 year old say's my weight is "pregnant male") :eek:

I use a throttle rocker (paddle) and have a throttle lock too. This helps me a lot, but some don't like these things.

·
Registered
196 Posts
When i first rode mine i couldn't even do 30km without my right hand going all numb an wot not, put a throttle rocker on and that made life much better, i'm pulling the trottle lock of my 600 an putting that on for the longer trips as well as changin the grips, the stock ones are too... thin?small? anyway thicker grips cause the stock ones are waay to small for my piano fingers

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
@ Russell,
Don't worry, you've not missed anything. All that Yamaha have offered so far is just the soft and hard preload settings, plus an inaccessible damping adjustment that is put just where it will get covered by all the road crud and seize rock solid.

If you want any more adjustment than that then you have to fit an aftermarket shock. But you'll probably have to do that anyway when the bike has done about 20,000 miles as the standard one will be knackered.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
If it wasn't for work I'd avoid London altogether, so don't go up Pratts Bottom if I can help it. :shock: :lol: :roll:

Actually there aren't really any hard and fast rules as to when the shock is going to pack in. We had just got back from two weeks of riding round the Alps and were out on the local twisties when I realised just how wallowy things had got. Think the extra load when we were on holiday had finally done for it, as it wasn't too bad when we left :?

·
Registered
721 Posts
My first OEM shock went wallowy within the first 5000 miles and was replaced under warranty at the 6000 mile service. The second, although a slight improvement is likely to get replaced soon after a further 18,000 miles. Not because it's gone wallowy but because I just know there has to be better handling available.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dave, I also had the tingling in the right hand your are talking about as well as a really sore hand after a multi-hour ride. I have done the following and it has helped a ton.
First, I fitted some spone-type sleeves over the stock grips and this was a great help.
Second, I use a throttle-rocker to ellininate having to hold onto the grip so tight (that bloody return spring!).
Third, I fitted some lovely heavy bar-end weights.
The difference is amazing and I recommend these modifications very highly!
Welcome to the FJR fold and I wish you many safe, happy miles.
Wayne.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dave
i used to get a very sore wrist ( no laughing ) and pains in the hand - i have totally got rid of this by fitting some D+D bar risers , cost about £45 inc shipping from the Usa . Also have bar ends fitted - jury is out on these but they look god so who cares .
The bike is buzzy around 4500 - 5500 revs so i guess its just an engine thing - still wouldnt sell it , despite the sh*t soft paintwork on the tank that seems to scratch every time i look at it !!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep, some heavy bar ends and a throttle rocker will really take the tingle out. Check over at the FJRGoodies.com they have a very nice set of bar ends. I lasted out the stock rear shock for 72,000 miles and finally got in on the Wilbur's group buy. It was starting to wallow in the harder corners but the shock was supposed to have died long ago. Oh, and that tingle in your spine? That one never goes away!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
russell arthritic said:
Suspension settings?? Mine only has two. Soft and hard. It goes on hard when the wife gets on. (mines an 03. Are multi settings a recent addition? I don't bother with the bike press anymore.)
The suspension too?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts