FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any of you guys (or girls) give me a few pointers.

I weigh 12 stone (approx 170 lbs) and would like to make my 03 model feel a bit more planted when ridden sporty. I know its never going to feel like a true sportsbike but at the moment it corners like a puppy on a lead!

The rear is not too bad, but ive got no confidence in the front.

What would you recommend as regards to pre-load, rebound and damping. I only tour twice a year so would like it a little more sporty for the rest.

ps: please dont get too techy, laymens terms please!

Cheers. Lee.[/b]

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I'm no racer, but I do like high speed touring, that's why I buy FJR's. I find that if the bike is set up for a bit of comfort, I can ride and corner better. If the front suspension is too hard, you get jarring and front wheel bounce, which is no good in corners.

In my opinion, with the bikes suspension set up to the book standard settings, the front springs are too soft, causing excessive sag, and the compression damping is too hard, causing jarring. So what I did is set the spring preload to maximum to reduce sag and give you more suspension travel, and reduce the compression damping to 14 clicks out from maximum. I left the rebound damping at the standard setting. At the back, I have the rebound damping set at the standard 12 clicks, there is no compression adjustment.

However, I have found on all my FJR's that the steering is very sensitive to tyre wear, particularly rear tyre wear. As soon as the rear tyre starts to wear and lose it's profile, the steering becomes heavier and heavier. With fresh rubber, the FJR's steering is beautifully light and responsive, but when the rear is at the end of it's life, you really have to push to make the bike lean, and you have to hold it down in the corners or else it will stand up and go straight. Also, with worn tyres, you feel the road zits a lot more. I can ride over the "cats eye" lumps in the highways with new tyres and not feel them, but with worn tyres, they almost shake your teeth loose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts