FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have a recommendation for a knowledgeable suspension tuner on the East Coast (New York Metro Area) who has SPECIFIC experience with FJRs?

I ride a 2005 with 23,000 miles on it. I also ride a CBR 600 F4i and would like to bring a little more sport to the FJRs serpentine road performance. I appreciate the physics of a 640 lb. bike, but would like to improve its handling.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions you can offer.

Sandy

·
Registered
192 Posts
suspension

Sandy,

Contact a company called Traxxion. They're located in Atlanta. They have a website so if you Google it you will find it. They make excellent suspension components andare reasonably priced compared to Ohlins and other name brand stuff. I have one of their rear shocks and it makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Agree, Traxxion Dynamics is a good outfit. They sell the good stuff and they know how to set it up for you and your style of riding.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NUMBER 2,

In what ways was your bike improved by the installation of a new shock? What year is your bike? How many miles?

Sport Rider Magazine (June 2005) compared Super Sport Tourers and the FJR won, but was damned by faint praise.

"Even with lots of leverage on the bars, the bike resists changing direction quickly. The rear spring is quite soft and has way too little preload, even in the stiffest (of two) settings."

"...front end feedback... All three bikes are vague in that department compared to real sportbikes."

I ride a CBR 600 F4i so I know what they are talking about. Given the laws of physics (this is a 600 lb., 59 in. wheelbase sport TOURNIG bike), I'd like to improve the "turn in" and front end feedback.

By the way, MCN compared the FJR with BMW's new K1200 GT and liked it. Apparently the 2006 suspension has been improved quite a bit.

Do you know if the '06 parts will fit the '05?

Thanks.

Sandy

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Proberly, But just lower the forks 3-4mm and put a good quality shock on the rear and vague front just goes away. :D

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
woody said:
Proberly, But just lower the forks 3-4mm and put a good quality shock on the rear and vague front just goes away. :D
Yikes, I already drag enough stuff on this bike, I'd rather raise the rear ride height than lower anything.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
20valves said:
woody said:
Yikes, I already drag enough stuff on this bike, I'd rather raise the rear ride height than lower anything.
Lowering the front 3mm will only lower the peg height about 1mm and the difference is worth it, but a better shock is the best answer as the standard shock compresses around 25mm just for sitting on it and is easy too deck in the bends.

·
Registered
192 Posts
suspension

I immediately noticed a much smoother ride and no wallowing in turns. It will now go through a turn on a rail (as well as a 600 lb bike can ride a rail). By raising the rear end the bike turns quicker and I've never noticed it not responding to steering input. I also put in a fork kit with different springs. I could probably get it tuned to do even better but I haven't spent the money to have it professionally setup (if that's possible for an FJR). The new shock can also be ordered with a remote reservior for better tuning. I didn't get it because I don't do track riding or racing. My bike is an 03 with 34,000 miles.

Again, if you're going to spend money to make one improvement on this bike get a new shock. The stock unit is junk.

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
Few bikes can't be helped by spending a little cash on an upgrade to the suspension. More often than not, it's the best money you can spend when farkling your bike for performance improvements.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an '04 with 45,000 miles on it. I put on a new Ohlins with remote preload adjustment and had the forks revalved at "Aftershocks" here in Palo Alto, Ca. It took me a while, working with them to get it just right, but I really think I have it as close to suspension perfection as it can get. I think any of the good shocks work well, I just like saying "'Ohlins", and thinking of blonde Swedish girls. And I like the cool gold color. Oh well. I got the remote preload because I haul my gal and a lot of gear at times tand I like an occasional track day and sometimes a trip with no baggage at all. My rides vary a lot, so I thought the remote preload would be great. Now that I've had it for a while, I would have been just as happy with the old fashioned non-remote adjustment for preload. I think a more important feature is ride height adjustment, which of course the preload does, but not directly. It will always affect the preload to change ride height without a separate adjuster for it. On the remote preloaders, if it isn't set up fairly close at the shop, or from the factory, then it has to be taken out again to get closer to your ideal pre load adjustment, as the remote adjuster can only go about 1 1/2 inches (40mm)thru it's adjustment. I've found that we need more compression than rebound dampening than some bikes too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts