FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started with premium and swiched to middle grade in my 06 FJR after 1000 miles. The manual says use regular - 87 pump octane.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
No alcohol. Then whatever the manual says.

:)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I go for our middle grade, 89. No worries. Have used 87 in a pinch on the old one and never heard a knock or ping or felt one pony missing so I don't know how much it matters.

·
Registered
122 Posts
20valves said:
I go for our middle grade, 89. No worries. Have used 87 in a pinch on the old one and never heard a knock or ping or felt one pony missing so I don't know how much it matters.
I would imagine that cylinder pinging would be a non issue on a EFI machine since the EFI would adjust automatically to match the fuel type being used?

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
JamesK said:
I would imagine that cylinder pinging would be a non issue on a EFI machine since the EFI would adjust automatically to match the fuel type being used?
From what I understand, that is not the case with FI systems like the one in the FJR. Only more sophisticated automotive FI systems with knock sensors can compensate for pre-detonation.

My cage has a system like that. It alters a whole bunch of things, including ignition timing, to run the vehicle as lean as possible without knocking. Naturally, higher octane fuel will allow the system to run leaner and more aggressive ignition timing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mid-grade out of habit. Before the days of dedicated hoses I generally found that the folks before me had pumped mid-grade more often than low or high, so I knew I was getting a full feed of the same octane.

Pretty lame...

·
Registered
15 Posts
After 30 years in the business of making gas ... the manual says 87 octane ('01 CBR929; '05 FJR) so that's what I use. NEVER a ping, missed beat or any reason not to believe the manufacturer. Guess what? In North America, we make good fuel.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No problems riding 22,000 miles on my '05 using Regular.

K&N, Power Commander, Two Brothers Racing M2s and a dyno-tune got 7 additional bhp 'tween 5,000 and 7,500.

Use Regular and save your money.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Re: gas

vetman said:
But what about that nice warm fuzzy feeling your extra money buys?
Good point. Buying it just to piss off 'gas nazis' might be worth something extra! :crylarf:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Octane ratings

05 FJR ridden cross country, 11,000 on 87 with never a problem. I did not pump 86 octane, which is available in US in the Southwest, had never seen or heard of such a low number, so used mid-grade then (88). At almost $4/gal, I am not going to use anything that just pumps money out the pipes.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts