FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a recurring problem with a surging problem, been to several Yamaha dealers and it won't do it while I am there and no one can give a reason as to why it is doing it.
Yamaha Aust service guys replied to an email I sent them and suggested that I get my dealer to check the throttle position sensor on the fuel injection throttle body.
Anyone know what this is or means? :roll:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would do it. I replaced the throttle position sensor on my 03' FJR last year after a stumble problem. The engine would misfire or stumble just off the idle throttle position.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Is it still under warranty?. Then a dealer investigated TPS is the first way to go at Yamahas expense.

Try synchronizing the throttle bodies.

One final solution may be to fit a power commander - that has cured surging in every case so far, including mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fastdevil try this trick, disconnect battery turn key on and of leave for a minute or two reconnect battery !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I, too, am having a surge problem. I bought and installed a PowerCommander III for the specifically to get rid of it. I loaded Wally's custom map, which didn't help, and the other one on the page for a bone stock FJR. Mine is a stock 03.

Can any one help with suggestions???

thank you

allen

·
Registered
293 Posts
My '07 was surging at about 4000-4200 in high gear when I rode it home. (300 miles). It showed up at very small throttle openings. Mine is fitted with a PC III and I added some numbers to the 2 and 5% throttle settings all the way down the rev range. I haven't had it back out on the highway yet but it seems to backfire less on decel.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I haven't had it back out on the highway yet but it seems to backfire less on decel.
Hmmmm..... shouldn't be backfiring at all..... could it still be too lean?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Exactly what I thought. After richening up the lower throttle columns it seems to grumble less on decel. We have a long steep driveway and going down in first gear with throttle closed, it was popping in the pipes. It seemed better yesterday morning but the engine wasn't warmed up yet. It doesn't do it all now around town on decel. I still may bump it up a little more but I have to get it out on the interstate and see if it still has that surge at 4000 with light throttle. Who says that the PC III is a waste of money?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts