FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm thinking about purchasing the above during the group buy. What do existing owners think; did it make a significant difference to the feel of the front of the bike, & front tyre wear ? How easy is it to remove the standard fork protectors ? Does anyone already have the #1129 model fitted, & how close does it sit to the front fender ?

Any feedback appreciated guys.

I'm hoping for one from Santa !!

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
As a UK owner from the first group buy

of the model that smashed the front brake banjo bolt under

full compresion of the suspension.

I am still not happy that us non American buyers were

left with only the option of sending them back at our own cost

and not knowing when a replacement would be sent.

They stuffed up leaving me with a potentialy very dangerous bike

so why should I spend an extra $20 postage and another lot of

import tax to fix their f**k up?

I DIY dremmeled mine to give the needed clearance, so mine is fine

now , but what does this tell you about superbraces attitude to non US

customers ????

Stu.. the bagman..

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mine's ABS too, and I have a dink in the top to guide the Dremel (as soon as I get around to it!). BUT, I do notice the obviously more stable front end. Superbrace isn't the only fork stabilizer, so no product endorsement here.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I've ridden 2 FJRs with SuperBraces. I noticed ZERO difference.

You asked for opinions.

Dumbo had a feather.

Just my opinion.

:)

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
As the owner of an original FJR Superbrace, and a (US) 2003 (non-abs) FJR, I have been pleased with the installation and performance of the product. I have had Superbraces on my past 3 bikes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my Superbrace in the first group buy for my US '03.

I made a big difference in control and confidence.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Did you all get the original #1128 model ? How easy is it to get the original fork protectors off the forks ? I have a workshop manual, but it makes no reference to this. Do you know which other companies make a fork brace for the FJR, & does anyone have any experience of their product & product support ? TIA.

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
I used a dremel tool and cut off the OEM fork protectors along a vertical line on the side of each so that the upright portions could be salvaged in case I wanted to add them to the Superbrace protectors (some how).

Just be careful to not cut all the way through or you can nick the forks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The dudes at Superbrace are sending me the newly designed Superbrace to try out. I'm going to compare it to the original #1128 model to see if I can discern any difference. I'll snap off a few photos of it after it's installed/tested.

But then I'm going to remove it and re-install the original one I have now (since it's black-anodized), and use this new one as a door prize for WFO-5. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my now deceased 2003 FJR, the brace went un-noticed at low speed, but was very obvious in the highspeed sweepers. The bike was more steady when being pushed way over while way up the speedo. Well worth the price for me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Warchild said:
The dudes at Superbrace are sending me the newly designed Superbrace to try out. I'm going to compare it to the original #1128 model to see if I can discern any difference. I'll snap off a few photos of it after it's installed/tested.

But then I'm going to remove it and re-install the original one I have now (since it's black-anodized), and use this new one as a door prize for WFO-5. :D
Does the brace help with the weave that occurs with heavy front braking from very high speeds

·
Registered
117 Posts
tripletango said:
Does the brace help with the weave that occurs with heavy front braking from very high speeds
:?: :?: :?:

Can you elaborate a little bit?

During the summer, I frequently do a lot of hard braking at triple-digit speeds out in the desert, and I don't seem to recall having this "weaving" issue you describe.

Though I should note that i did replace the lame-o stock Soqi shock for a good Wilbers shock after about 10K miles.

How many miles on your bike? Still have the OEM shock?

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Here are some riders comments on their Superbrace. http://www.fjrowners.ws/discus/messages/27/7882.html

My comments made in early 2004 are confirmed by many k's ridden since then.

@TT - I never noticed any weave under heavy braking, either before fitting my SB or after.

·
Registered
49 Posts
superbrace

I rode my '05 non-ABS for a couple hundred miles, then installed the Superbrace, and did notice an improvement in stability, especially in higher-speed corners with irregular surfaces.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re: superbrace

vetman said:
I rode my '05 non-ABS for a couple hundred miles, then installed the Superbrace, and did notice an improvement in stability, especially in higher-speed corners with irregular surfaces.
This is absolutely true. The difference in stability and confidence in the high speed turns was incredible. I had trouble tucking it into turns before the SB. Now it follows your line like it's on rails.

This coming from a not so expert rider. It gave me a HUGE boost in confidence. I'm sure better riders may or may not feel the difference, but I noticed it immediately.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Warchild said:
tripletango said:
:?: :?: :?:

Can you elaborate a little bit?

During the summer, I frequently do a lot of hard braking at triple-digit speeds out in the desert, and I don't seem to recall having this "weaving" issue you describe.

Though I should note that i did replace the lame-o stock Soqi shock for a good Wilbers shock after about 10K miles.

How many miles on your bike? Still have the OEM shock?
Yes the FJR is all original. At that time 8000 miles.
Payload 250 Lbs all up, 140 mph full front braking and weave. Next time from hi speed, a little rear brake as well less weave. Less front weight transfer makes a difference. less compression on the forks. I think the brace will make a difference under this circumstance

1 - 20 of 59 Posts