FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in the market for summer gear. I am mostly a fair-weather rider. I will ride when it is as cold as in the 50s but can bulk up mid-layers for those rare occasions. Mostly I ride when it is in the mid 60s and warmer. And, I avoid rain like the plague. I want some protection but I want to remain relatively comfortable on summer rides when it is in the 80s or even the 90s. I've been riding in shirts and jeans without gloves so anything will be a serious improvement. Still, I am really looking for summer gear that won't leave me in a pool of sweat.

JACKETS - The Klim Induction and the Klim Marrakesh are my top current contenders but I am interested in everyone's thoughts. Do you have a favorite jacket? What's the best thing you have worn?

PANTS - The Klim Marrakesh and Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion are my top current contenders but, again, I'd really like some input from anyone who owns these or others they like.

GLOVES - The Klim Induction gloves are on my list, but otherwise I am all over the place on gloves. I need touch screen capability for pinch zoom on my android phone which is also my GPS. Any suggestions?

OK... Let me have it!

UPDATE 2022.05.14
Yesterday, I rode nearly 40 miles to try on the Klim Induction and the Klim Marrakesh jackets.
I bought the Klim Marrakesh in black because I like that it looks less like a standard ADV jacket than the Induction and the 4-way stretch material makes it comfortable.
I rode there and it was about 83 degrees out when I arrived. By the time I finished shopping, it was about 86 degrees out.
I swear, the Marrakesh performs some sort of black magic. I was not overheating in it. In fact, I felt like it was generating a tiny bit of moisture, evaporating it, and cooling me.
I rode there with a t-shirt only and rode back in a slightly hotter environment with the jacket over the t-shirt and I swear I actually felt cooler with the jacket.
Hense my black magic comment.
Either my brain is playing tricks on me or this jacket is crazy amazing. I really think it is the jacket. This jacket ain't cheap but it is worth every penny in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Can't go wrong with any of those Klim choices. I've got the gloves and jacket you mention. Good stuff.

EDIT: I should add that's what I wear when it's hot out. For most rides, especially week long vacations, I wear Alpinestars. No need for rain gear with that, waterproof.

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
380 Posts
I am in the market for summer gear. I am mostly a fair-weather rider. I will ride when it is as cold as in the 50s but can bulk up mid-layers for those rare occasions. Mostly I ride when it is in the mid 60s and warmer. And, I avoid rain like the plague. I want some protection but I want to remain relatively comfortable on summer rides when it is in the 80s or even the 90s. I've been riding in shirts and jeans without gloves so anything will be a serious improvement. Still, I am really looking for summer gear that won't leave me in a pool of sweat.

JACKETS - The Klim Induction and the Klim Marrakesh are my top current contenders but I am interested in everyone's thoughts. Do you have a favorite jacket? What's the best thing you have worn?

PANTS - The Klim Marrakesh and Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion are my top current contenders but, again, I'd really like some input from anyone who owns these or others they like.

GLOVES - The Klim Induction gloves are on my list, but otherwise I am all over the place on gloves. I need touch screen capability for pinch zoom on my android phone which is also my GPS. Any suggestions?

OK... Let me have it!
I have been fond of the Rev'It Air H20 line for the chance of rain but in all honesty I did not wear a jacket when it was hot for a long time till I had my daughter. I still always wear pants with armor as I can stand them (never been much of a shorts guy) but now after my kiddo I wear a Fox Titan mesh armor shirt and a tee shirt or hoodie depending on the ride. I like it and it works for me but to each their own.
Outerwear Sleeve Armour Art Bag

·
Registered
2007 AE
188 Posts
I use a Olympia mesh jacket with a liner for cooler weather,Take the liner out and it flows great air.I also wear a BMW venting jacket for really hot weather its like no jacket at all.Mesh pants as well and if you need more warmth mine also have a liner.Almost any mesh jacket and pants will suit your needs.I personalty do not like Klim as they do not fit me the way I like.I find that my upper torso needs more wind protection then my lower on cool mornings but then I am in the saddle by 6 A.M. when touring.

·
Registered
2008 FJR1300 A
78 Posts
+1 for Olympia. My Olympia MotoQuest jacket is six years old and I don’t know what the equivalent is called now but… it’s three parts. Jacket, liner & rain coat. The rain coat can be worn over or under the jacket. It’s usually enough on 50° days because it stops the wind. The jacket has zippers that opens up vents in the arms, chest & back. I’ve worn it “comfortably” in 90° weather. I also carry a cool-vest; wet it, put it on under the jacket and voila, air conditioning.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
I like Tourmaster mesh. I live in north Texas. My riding environment ranges from about 40F to 110F. 100F is not an unusually hot day for north Texas. I can stretch the lower bounds to about 35F by using my Frogg Togg rainsuit as an outer layer. And I crossed Utah one July in 115 - 117F, FJR indicated temps. Wasn't a lot of fun, but it also wasn't that bad as long as I was moving.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
954 Posts
I have been wearing a Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket for 20+ years. I just upgraded to the Alter Ego 4.1. Joe Rocket Alter Ego 4.1

It is 3 jackets in one, and I also ride in Texas... Central/East Texas, and yeah 100° days are probable every summer. I can use this jacket all year, down here. Very versatile.

I am looking at pants. I just wear Levi's 505 jeans right now.

I used to wear these Icon Pursuit perforated gloves. Icon Pursuit Gloves I liked them, but they don't hold up long. So I replaced them with these ILM gloves, at almost half the cost!

ILM Gloves They fit my hands very well, and have been more durable than the Icons at twice the price. The Icons will start tearing at the location between my index finger and thumb. Right at the "web" of my hand. The ILMs have not torn at all.

I wear a Shoei RF-1200 Full-face helmet.

I am looking for a new pair of boots... I am currently wearing XElement 1506 Impact Biker Boot

Probably way more than you were looking for, but I have some time before a meeting and like looking up motorcycle stuff!

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
So true about the black. I was on a ride one day and thought the bike was overheating. Left shin and thigh were burning, I kept looking down for coolant or flames. Then it hit me, the sun was off to my left. I couldn't believe the temp difference from my right side.

Reactions: StreamRider

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
380 Posts
Last week when it finally hit the high 80's I wore black First Gear armored mesh pants as I don't want my Rev'It to smell like hot swamp-ass and I was questioning the FJR like "How am I only at 2 bars and my calves are hot AF?" I had the same realization. Although the FJR is a warm running bike the sun will add to that quite a bit. I don't know how Million Dollar Bogan does his rides (albeit in shorts and a teeshirt) but that kinda sun and heat would def make me lose some layers or rethink my color scheme.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Motocross

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
So true about the black. I was on a ride one day and thought the bike was overheating. Left shin and thigh were burning, I kept looking down for coolant or flames. Then it hit me, the sun was off to my left. I couldn't believe the temp difference from my right side.
That's precisely why I stopped wearing mesh pants in the Summer. I prefer some insulation down there to keep my nuts from roasting! 😎

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,628 Posts
Well, those Gen1's were known as toaster ovens....... some fixes but moderately successful......

·
Registered
2004 FJR1300
1 Posts
Once I started riding the FJR I had to start changing up my riding attire as it is so much warmer than my previous bike. Now have the KLIM Induction jacket and Klim Marakesh Pants (pants I haven't tried yet as it is still cold up here in Canada and I just bought em for this riding season).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey GermanMachine...
As I noted in my last update to my original post, I bought the Klim Marrakesh jacket (black) and I love it.
Please add an update when you have worn the Klim Marakesh Pants. I am interested to hear your thoughts about them.
Will you be wearing them as an over-pant on top of jeans, with shorts under them, or just with briefs?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts