FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to ask this, but I've got the 06 stock tires, and can't for the life of me find wear bars. (No triangle guides on the side, from what I can tell, either) Since the center of the tread is solid, I can't watch for the depth of the groove in it, either.

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
60 Posts
Where are the wear bars?

There's one on the corner of Hastings and Prince Edward but the entertainment sucks and the beer prices are way too high :ale: :crylarf:

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Some are easier to find than others. It's a little booger in the center of some of the tread grooves. When the tread wears down to the bars, the booger will be level with the outer skin and appear to segment the grooves.

Does that make sense?

:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm familiar with normal wear bars on treads, but what's throwing me off is that the center of the tire is already treadless. (Maybe the mechanics wore it out already on the test rides ) :D

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Are you pulling my leg, Ron?
Metzeler Z6 tires and Pirelli Diablo Stradas have no tread in the middle... so you'd have to use your imagination.

... unless your other tires are worn to a complete flat space in the middle... then it's time for another tire, and intensive twisty-road study for you. ;)

·
Registered
426 Posts
If I remember correctly, the wear bars on 20valves' tires are actually little metal cords that become visible after all the rubber is worn away.
Trainwreck has similar tires, too. :crylarf:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses, though I guess I'm not sure what I'm looking for, though I'll keep an eye one 'em...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
amain said:
If I remember correctly, the wear bars on 20valves' tires are actually little metal cords that become visible after all the rubber is worn away.
Trainwreck has similar tires, too. :crylarf:
Someday Arlen.... :lol:

Actually, that's what's under the wear bars, I was just curious.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ronald,
The rear Metzler Roadtec tyre is smooth on the centre, but lots of water grooves/slots on the sides of the tyres. Look at the very edge of the tyre and you will see in small writing "TWI" on about three points around the tyre. That is the position of the "tyre wear indicator" - and feel in the groove there and you will feel the little raised rubber part. So when the tyre wears down to 1 mm. goove depth the bar will be at the top of the tyre and it is time to change. Look on the front tyre for the TWI's and you will see the wear bars there easier.
Hope it helps

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahhh, found it. It's pretty subtle. It looks like a very minor bulge in the bottom of the groove. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts