FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying, from time to time, to remove the allen bolts found at the top of where the side-fairing meets the dash. (really need a pic) spose they are the highest up allen bolts on the bodywork :\

Anyway.. the allen bolts just turn.. and keep turning, and I can see the pannels move apart, then back together, then apart and back together.... as the bolt rotates, which suggests whatever it's screwed into is turning behind.

I've tried forcing the panels together, to try and stop the wossname from rotating, but to no avail.

Anyone had a similar problem? or know how to get these panels off without undoing these allen bolts?

this is really pissing me off. it's no big deal now, but if I need to replace the sidelight bulbs (like I want to, with LEDs but don't have to) or get into the battery (which is inevitable at SOME point I spose) then it's going to be a royal pain!.

tia

a

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
As you say, we really need pictures to figure out what's going on, but those allen head screws go into clip nuts, sort of like a paper clip, which clip onto the edge of the plastic panels below.

If those clip nuts are rotating, it suggests to me that the panels below are already broken, so those screws are probably not actually holding anything except for the clip nut and a small piece of broken plastic. I would suggest taking out all the rest of the screws that will undo, and applying a bit of force, I think the panels will come apart.

Good luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Before you use force use a flashlight and maybe a mirror. Can you see up behind everything from the wheel area or down through past the forks to get a better idea of what's happening? If something is broken, force will make it more broken.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was taking that panel off to install a battery tender terminal and that very clip nut that you are talking about fell off! Into the depths of the fairng (or whatever you call the right side plastic portion) it went. Hoping it would come out of the bottom but it didn't. Took a flashlight and looked around but didn't see it. So now I have two of three screws holding that panel in place. Seems that you and I are having different problems with the same part.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Stop, back up and make sure we're on the same page (absent pics). Are you talking about the silver-colored bolts with the allen recess? When you say it's just spinning, are you sure it hasn't released and it only being held by other fasteners? Have you released the (what do you call them?) punch fasteners inside the folk well? Disrobing the bike takes a lot of patience, and a lot of light to see what you're doing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.