FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find out the correct way to strap down my FJR1300 for trailering. I'm looking at buying a trailer for my bike, but i want to make sure the trailer is capable of hauling two bikes.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
20valves said:
Some people actually ride these damn things to different places. :lol:
Oh, I've never seen a bike in the back of your truck, have I? *nudge-nudge*

(track days excepted) ;)

(some roads just aren't worth the tire wear, eh?)

:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
QUOTE; (some roads just aren't worth the tire wear, eh?)

Some bikes aren't made for trailers! Custom choppers, track bikes, dirt bikes, etc. are trailer bikes. Fjr's, wings, st's, rt's, etc should never be in a trailer! If the road's not worth the tire wear find another road or join the HD crowd. :roll:

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
The only time I had my FJR in my truck was when i went to Colorado to take my daughter to a softball tournament. I ended getting in a good 200 mile day in the mountains.

And yeah liquid, the R1 wasn't quite street legal that weekend. :wink:

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
fjr vfr said:
Fjr's, wings, st's, rt's, etc should never be in a trailer! If the road's not worth the tire wear find another road or join the HD crowd. :roll:
OK sunshine. ;) Next time there's an ice storm in the midwest and I'm trucking my ST to the TX Hill Country, I'll give you a call and you can show me how it's done. LOL.

I also hate droning on any bike on any boring road. In some parts of the country, a worthwhile road doesn't exist, so I'd look for a motocross track instead. If it's not a twisty road, I might as well be riding my bicycle and get some cardio out of the deal.

I also don't get weeks off for road trips, so if there's 600 miles of worthless road to get to some good stuff, I might as well night drive and get there the next morning with fresh tires. Watching straight lines go by doesn't do anything for me. Perhaps if I had a week, I could tolerate some boring ass road. :D

I've done 1500 - 1700 mile weekends on the R1 with all good roads, and that polishes off a pair of sport rubbers... a bike with bags just lets me bring more stuff, and possibly a spouse.

I'm sorry if my improper usage of my sport-tourers offends, but believe me, the HD crowd wouldn't take me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If the road's not worth the tire wear find another road or join the HD crowd.
Easy to say when you live in Virginia! Move to the flatlands of Iowa and we'll see how you feel about the third time you drone across Nebraska in 102 degree heat for a total of 750 miles of ab-so-lutely nothing (say it again) just to have a few nice days of riding in Colorado. Then drone back!

I was stopped once in the middle of Nebraska on one of those hot miserable sojourns, pumping some gas and muttering under my breath that I would NEVER do this again, when a guy pulls up on an old Gold Wing, sticks the hose in his tank and goes into the C-store. Comes back out a minute later with a paper bag in his hand. Finishes pumping his gas, opens the bag to produce a quart of beer, chugs the beer, gets on his bike, says, "See ya in Toledo!", and rode off. I'm beginning to think he had the right idea!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Cajun Power said:
I'm trying to find out the correct way to strap down my FJR1300 for trailering. I'm looking at buying a trailer for my bike, but i want to make sure the trailer is capable of hauling two bikes.
Get yourself a set of "Tire Downs" that hold your wheel down and do not put any stress on your shocks. "Tire Downs" allow your baby to ride safely on the shocks. Go to www.endo.co.za for more info

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yea....maybe I'm being a little self rightous, but after numerous trips to Daytona passing trailer after trailer full of bikes, watching these guys take their bike off the trailer and ride up and down main street a couple times then back on the trailer. The whole trailer thing just sends me into shock. I have to think back to the days living in New England where riding during winter months was out of the question. Thankfully that memory is fading. Btw, I'll be riding mine out to the WFO meeting in Reno. :ale:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey..I have a Harley (recently acquired Road King). The Harley I previously owned (2002 Electra Glide I sold in January) had 50,000 miles on it; I bought it new. I have ridden BMWs through all the lower 48 states, Mexico, and seven Canadian provinces..somewhere in the vicinity of about 300,000 miles. Only had the opportunity to use the back of a pickup twice...both as the result of mechanical failure (both BMWs.never the Harleys..go figure). In addition I've put about 12,000 miles on the FJR since I got it about a year and a half ago. Now...you want to give me a hard time if I decide to crank up the H-D and go riding with the bros??? 8)

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Gotcha. :D

Wild horses might be able to drag me to Daytona or Stugis... but I'd either be dead or looking for a way out. :D

'fraid I'm not much with the 'ride-to-eat' crowd, either. Is WFO a little 'ride-to-eat?'

BTW - remember, there are a FEW H-D guys that put big miles on those big doggies. A few.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm with you on the Daytona scene. I live all of 70 miles away and I have to make a concerted effort to go up there during Bike Week and/or Biketoberfest. Only reason I suppose I go is habit (and that I can be home in about 90 minutes or so). Have to admit the freak show up there can be interesting. :shock:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree lenz, but only so much excitement can be had traveling on I-10 from Louisiana to Florida and back to Louisiana in one weekend. Got a bud that lives in P'cola (proud FZ1 owner).

·
Registered
949 Posts
Acmemfg said:
Try US 90 for a stretch....lots of interesting stuff to be found there :wink:
Living in Australia I don't know US 90 but if it is similar to many miles of flat, near straight, unstimulating road throughout much of inland Australia I can understand the raised interest in the US for poor handling chopper / cruiser bikes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.