FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
You need to judge by the wear bars closest to the tire's center. They are about gone. When the wear bars are flush to the tires surface, meaning they look like a bridge across the sipe/tread, it's time to replace. They'll go from that condition to cords showing in 200 miles. Maybe less.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
If it's a 4 ply tire, or still have 3 plys to go! Obviously you don't pay much attention to your tires or you would have replaced it 2,000 miles ago...
This is a joke right?

That is not a good tire for your riding style!!!!!!!
Get a more SS oriented tire. The side edge of the tire needs to be wider. You are TOO aggressive for that much siping in the outer 1/3 of the tire.
He'll be lucky to get 2k miles out of a soft SS tire.

·
Registered
2008 FJR1300A in San Diego
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The tire in the original post is a Michelin Road 5 model.

It was already on the bike when I purchased it in January. The Michelin was in great condition when I took ownership, and I have added 4,060 miles to it but not sure of the total miles on that rubber.

Think I’ll give the Angel ST a shot next.

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
572 Posts
The tire in the original post is a Michelin Road 5 model.

It was already on the bike when I purchased it in January. The Michelin was in great condition when I took ownership, and I have added 4,060 miles to it but not sure of the total miles on that rubber.

Think I’ll give the Angel ST a shot next.
I am pretty impressed with mine so far. Another 275 today and by the end of the day I was diving it into stuff deeper and deeper and felt really confident on it. Albeit I am on a Gen 1 and it is the lightest of the fleet it felt really good. I have been taking pictures everyday of the wear to make a bit of a slideshow to "examine" and see how it stacks up but I am only running the front. I would be lying if I said I was interested in the back... #DarksideForLyfe

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Nice to hear your experience with the Angel. The front and rear Angel set on Amazon has quite attractive reviews abound.

My other bike has been darksided for a number of years and I’ve have been pleased with it, but this FJR has a bit more lean angle available so I’ll likely stick with a moto tire for this one.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Nice to hear your experience with the Angel. The front and rear Angel set on Amazon has quite attractive reviews abound.

My other bike has been darksided for a number of years and I’ve have been pleased with it, but this FJR has a bit more lean angle available so I’ll likely stick with a moto tire for this one.

I need to figure out why this app is disconnecting randomly and all the time but this was my "work" day today. I will take a picture of what's left of my pegs tomorrow and you can let me know where the degrees of lean I am missing out on are. ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thought I had a few weekends left in this Michelin but after spotting this mysterious wear pattern in the center of the tire today, I’m not so sure!

What do yous think? Seen any sporadic wear spots in tires like this?

I’ve never attempted to do any burnouts or drifting with it :]
How do you call the opposite of a chicken strip? (1st picture)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

I need to figure out why this app is disconnecting randomly and all the time but this was my "work" day today. I will take a picture of what's left of my pegs tomorrow and you can let me know where the degrees of lean I am missing out on are. ;)
Ha! Not saying you’re wrong in your choice of tire.

What I am sayin’, however, is that’s a fascinating app. Had to download it 😃

·
Registered
55 Posts
That is not a good tire for your riding style!!!!!!!
Get a more SS oriented tire. The side edge of the tire needs to be wider. You are TOO aggressive for that much siping in the outer 1/3 of the tire.
Really? I won't show you a pic of one of my tires then. So more softer rubber on the outside of the tire will get him more mileage, even though the center of the tread is where it's worn out?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Hooray for new Pirellis showed up today! They look good and I’m eager to throw heaps of miles at ‘em.

View attachment 85600
Now that's a sexy pic!

I love my front one and I don't know how deep you get but I had confidence almost 200 miles in. I recently shared a pic of them at 1100 and if you are slightly aggressive and like the throttle they hold up really well. I am on a GEN 1 and it's like 100lbs lighter then the newer counterparts but still an awesome tire.

Almost tempted to buy a full set and ride MC tires again but I would def go way too hard into an on ramp way too fast. Darkside has been with me for years and I know not of the light.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Really? I won't show you a pic of one of my tires then. So more softer rubber on the outside of the tire will get him more mileage, even though the ccut are enter of the tread is where it's worn out?
The problem is the very large and numerous tread cuts are right where he likes to lean and pull high power.
The leading and trailing edges of the cuts are feathered and crowned. It also appears the entire block is deformed on every one. That tire is squirming and shifting where he rides and not coping well with his style.
A tire with smaller and fewer cuts in that area will deform less and have better traction and a more planted feel.
If that change means less mileage, that is a decision I would make.

Reactions: FJ Rick

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I do find myself getting on the throttle and powering out of turns more than needed near the apex soon as I see the exit, on twisty stretches of road, and it has taken a toll on the Michelin.

First time removing the wheel tonight and I had a real struggle getting the FJR up on the center stand prior to removing the rear wheel—even with the rear wheel rolled up onto 2x4 and 1x4 lumber stacked to gain an addition 2.25” of ground clearance at the rear tire. It seems like the center stand is much too tall requiring loads of leverage to get onto the center stand. Or perhaps my shock is aging and sagging.

Somebody mentioned in another thread that gen 3 center stands are shorter than previous generations and thus requiring much less effort to deploy them. So I need to find myself a newer center stand I reckon.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I do find myself getting on the throttle and powering out of turns more than needed near the apex soon as I see the exit, on twisty stretches of road, and it has taken a toll on the Michelin.

First time removing the wheel tonight and I had a real struggle getting the FJR up on the center stand prior to removing the rear wheel—even with the rear wheel rolled up onto 2x4 and 1x4 lumber stacked to gain an addition 2.25” of ground clearance at the rear tire. It seems like the center stand is much too tall requiring loads of leverage to get onto the center stand. Or perhaps my shock is aging and sagging.

Somebody mentioned in another thread that gen 3 center stands are shorter than previous generations and thus requiring much less effort to deploy them. So I need to find myself a newer center stand I reckon.

If you are having difficulty putting the center stand down you should be raising the front wheel. Yes the real wheel comes up off the ground but it is about changing the center of gravity not helping it along. I like to roll mine backwards a little bit and then fully stand all my weight on the footstand and jack it up because I would rather lift it up and keep all my kit in the saddlebags rather then take em off.

I highly doubt I could get mine on the stand if I raised the real wheel up prior to "jacking" it onto the stand.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The problem is the very large and numerous tread cuts are right where he likes to lean and pull high power.
The leading and trailing edges of the cuts are feathered and crowned. It also appears the entire block is deformed on every one. That tire is squirming and shifting where he rides and not coping well with his style.
A tire with smaller and fewer cuts in that area will deform less and have better traction and a more planted feel.
If that change means less mileage, that is a decision I would make.
You are inferring issues not stated to be a problem, i.e. a solution in search of a problem. If the wear was at the edge of the tire, you might have a point.. but with the center wearing out 1st (which is typical), a softer tire is not the answer. If there were complaints of the bike not feeling stable in corners, you might have a point. As it stands, a softer tire with more rubber at the edge is not the answer.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You are inferring issues not stated to be a problem, i.e. a solution in search of a problem. If the wear was at the edge of the tire, you might have a point.. but with the center wearing out 1st (which is typical), a softer tire is not the answer. If there were complaints of the bike not feeling stable in corners, you might have a point. As it stands, a softer tire with more rubber at the edge is not the answer.
Funny. I will mention a nail in a tire to a fellow rider who never asked about a nail. Or low air pressure to someone who never asked. Or an open side or top box to someone who never mentioned losing items.
Its just me.
The subject was "strange wear marks" which most certainly is a subject that includes the feathering and the deformation of the tread blocks. While the OP never explicitly complained of squirmy feeling from the rear tire he may actually recall such a problem during conversation. He may have wanted to address it but it slipped his mind during posting.

To say any conversation should be limited to the original intent of the opening post is a restriction I dont believe is honered by anyone who has ever posted here.
And is contradictory of the term conversation.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Tire threads are getting to be a lot like oil threads. 😋 The non-GT versions aren't for heavy bikes like the FJR. Michelin PR4 and PR5 shine when you ride under all conditions including frigid and/or wet. Since tires are about prioritizing and balancing, they do sacrifice some cornering-acceleration on warm/hot pavement. In that regard the 5s are an improvement over the 4s. Fully leaned on a few sets and haven't detected any performance or durability difference when the leading edge of the tread raises; no reason to obsess or sweat it. Just rrriiidddeee. If you're smart and only ride under ideal conditions, a different tire can be a better fit. If you're a bit of a stubborn iNtUiT, the PR4 and PR5 can be the safer choice.

EDIT: BTW, I use Castrol. 😜

·
Premium Member
2008 FJR/AE
179 Posts
I would not ignore suspension adjustments. Watch the new Angels like a hawk and if you start seeing the same leading edge wear with following edge feathering, remove some dampening from the rear shock. (just a suggestion)

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

21 - 40 of 41 Posts