FJR Owners Forum banner

Stop & Go tire plug

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  lajim 
#1 ·
Stop & Go Tire plugger

I've been carrying this kit around for a few years now and finally got a chance to use it today. A friend brought his Ninja 1000 over for me to help with some work on it, and I noticed a drywall screw sticking out of it. That's unfortunate for him, but I'd been waiting for an opportunity to try the Stop & Go Tire plugger out.

Time will tell, but it was sealed and not leaking when he left a few hours later. I must say I'm glad I got to try it out at home first. I wouldn't have wanted to figure it out by the side of the freeway on a hot, summer, Arkansas day.

My biggest problem was that the instructions ay to screw it in until it stops. I did that and it didn't push the plug in. So I took it off and counted the turns to turn it all the way, and it was 20 turns. I tried again with the plug, and it stopped at 15. I pretty much had to force it the last five turns. But it worked as advertised.

#2 ·
That kit is a POS in my not so humble opinion. I had one years ago. Only marginal success. I eventually went to the sticky string/gummy worm method and have had great success with that. And that is repairing approximately 25 or so flats over the years. Most folks who chime in and repaired more than a few flat tires are going to agree with me.

#5 ·
I tried it twice, and it didn't work. Then I figured out what I was doing wrong, and it worked. I've tried to fix one tire with it, and I managed to fix one tire. Yay, I'm batting 1000. :)

#3 ·
I don't know if the Stop & Go kit is a POS but I do know that sticky string works. It's what I carry and unfortunately have used.

Haynes

#4 ·
I've never tried a Stop & Go kit. Tell me, is it possible to insert more than one plug? I've had to do that twice with sticky strings (which worked fine) just to get me home. I inserted the first then held it with pliers as I inserted the second. In one case I held those 2 while inserting the third.

Reactions: Dan Kim
#6 ·
I haven't tried, but I'm gonna say it's probably unlikely. I think if you tried to push the tool through again, you'd likely damage the first one. But I don't know. I've never done it, but I've seen holes filled with several pieces of sticky string.

I do still carry the sticky string, but I added the Stop & Go because I've got arthritis in my hands, and I hoped the Stop & Go needle would be easier to push through the hole. It was. For me, it's a serious struggle to try to push the tool through with a piece of string in it. I use a little glue on it to lubricate it some, and it's still a pretty good wad of material to try to push through. The Stop & Go isn't easy, but I managed without pain. :)

After my experience yesterday, if I were to have a small puncture on the road, I'd probably try the Stop & Go, just because it's so much easier to push the tool through. A bigger hole, I'd try to patch with the sticky string until I could replace the tire.

#10 ·
I've tried a couple of the "higher tech" plug systems, back to sticky strings they work. Have not tried the Stop & Go, so can't comment on those.

#12 ·
I tried them all at one time or another. Sometime they do work and some other time they don't. Some are better than others.
For the past few years I've been using Nealey Mini Tire Repair Kit.
Ten 7 inch repairs and inserting tool.
Repairs 2 and 4 ply tires on autos, small pickups, motorcycles, ATV's, golf cars, garden tractors, riding mowers, etc.
Top Notch quality. Better than everything else I've ever used with the exception of a regular patch.
Give it a try.

#13 ·
Hey Calboy,
Thanks for the Nealey Tire Repair Kit suggestion. I just
ordered a kit directly from them, as I prefer to support small Made in the USA companies and products!!

#15 ·
My brother had a flat on his K1600 GTL last fall while we were on a ride in Quebec. He somehow picked up a cotter-pin in the tire. Fortunately we were only 20 minutes from the hotel and he had trailered his bike there from Ontario. We used the stop-n-go plug and I would give it a thumbs-down. It was a pain to use and we couldn't get a tire to seal - we may have been better off leaving the cotter pin in the tire. It should be called the stop-n-go-but-not-too-far. Our buddy Ryan at Fortnine does a nice analysis of various tire plug kits.

Zwartie

#21 ·
I own this kit and have used it four times to plug holes made by screws, etc in my FJR and V-Strom 650, and I've used it on car tires a couple of times. For me it's been an outstanding product. It has great build quality and has always worked as advertised.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.