FJR Owners Forum banner

Steps for Disabling the Screen Auto-retract on the ’06 FJR

12K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  bounce 
#1 ·
All ye '06 FJR1300 owners who are sick and tired of having to re-adjust the screen position every time the engine is switched off rejoice. I have just worked out which connector you need to unplug in order to disable the screen auto-retract "feature"

Below are some key pictures, more are available at this link:
http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b87/klauzja/FJR Pics/Screen Autoretract Farkle/?sc=3

Working off of Warchild's original farkle I used trial and error to identify the correct connector, as seen in the pictures. The pre 2006 Windscreen farkle can be found on http://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=12 if you want some background.
However on the '06 model the wiring is somewhat different, and it is in fact easier to reach the necessary connector, since you don't need to pull apart the instrument panel.

To gain access to the connector on the '06 FJR you'll still need to remove panels C & D as illustrated on Warchild's website: http://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=7.

The '06 FJR comes with headlight adjustment knobs, which you will need to disconnect before you can remove Panel C. These look/are very similar to the old speedometer cables so the removal (and eventual re-installation) procedures used for disconnecting an older style speedo cable will work for the '06 FJR headlight adjustment knobs. Basically when re-installing these make sure that the square channel cable is correctly seated in the back of the knob before attempting to tighten the retaining nut/cap. To check that the cable is correctly seated try turning the headlight adjustment knob there should be noticeable amount of resistance, i.e. if the knob turns very freely double check the cable fitting.

The auto-retract connector is located just under the digital display unit.

and is right next to a bigger (multi-wire) connector.

It consists of two wires, Back with Red stripe and Red with Grey stripe

Simply unplug the connector and verify that the screen remains in its set position after the ignition is turned off.

I just taped up both ends of the unplugged connector (not shown here) to ensure that it would not short out at some time in the future and pushed both halves back up under the dash. As some other FJR owners have suggested/done these wires could be utilized as control wiring for other accessories driven gadgets…

Enjoy, I love it :)

See less See more
#13 ·
After unplugging this connector, can the windscreen still be adjusted up/down using the control on the handlebar?
I need a bit of advice in my 2004 model.

My windscreen does not go down when I out the ignition off.

However twice after putting the ignition off and removing the key, only my neutral light stayed in for about 2-3 seconds then when it went off my windshield dropped too.

Any idea where or what to check? I cannot find anything.

#3 ·
Re: Does the screen still adjust with this mod?

ebraith said:
After unplugging this connector, can the windscreen still be adjusted up/down using the control on the handlebar?
Of course, the screen functions perfectly (as before), just does not auto-retract when the engine is switched off.

#7 ·
Keep in mind that there is a reason (maybe two) for the auto retract feature.

1) There is a point at "partial up" where the screen acts like a magnifying glass and melts the dash. Can't happen in the down position.

2) You may find, like I do, that the screen needs to come down in town and up as the speed / wind increases. Kinda makes the auto-retract a nice feature since I would manually put it down anyway when parking.

Seems a solution in search of a problem, at least to me.

#9 ·
20valves said:
Jimbemotumbo said:
Seems a solution in search of a problem, at least to me.
Me as well but I can see why some would prefer it that way. Plus it's not so difficult to thumb the screen button, is it? It's nice it can be tweaked either way.
Point taken, I have very much enjoyed not having to fumble around trying to find the "sweet spot" for the screen height every time I stop for a break or gas. However, might stick a little toggle switch in the circuit next time I have the dash apart so as to have the auto/manual choice at my finger tips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.